Keep off my lawn !

Some of you will chew this up with all the things wrong with it.  But as a property owner, whose had property stolen and damaged on a farm site that was until this year never bothered, I like this person's idea.  If you look close, it appears there is a posted sign at ground level that the person passes then......

• Like 6

I'd do this on my property but the last photos off my trail cam were three guys on horses who I guess think it's a wilderness area.  I'm sure I would be sued or our hunting cabin vandalized if I did anything like this but I'm still thinking.  I just hope I don't see a road kill skunk anytime soon or he might be positioned to fall out of a tree or something....I mean skunks fall out of trees all the time right?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SWJewellTN said:

Not defending a trespasser here, but this is very stupid, IMHO. If they guy had not been wearing glasses to protect his eyes guess who gets the crap sued out of them?

Yep. Booby traps are illegal (so I was told by a Nashville Metro cop) years ago. I figure, more power to you. But, you better not injure anybody

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

I have no problem with using guerrilla tactics for trespassers.  People need to quit apologizing for protecting what is theirs.

It sure seems that the concept of individual and private ownership has been lost from the minds of people. They give no thought to wandering all over other peoples' lands. I've had people wandering in my back yard before. I asked what they were doing and told oh, just looking around. When I told them they were trespassing and to leave, the leader of the little group got hot and told me I was being and ass. I suggested that first he meet me , then ask about walking thru my property. The suggested he leave as I was calling Metro. They left cursing me. 

1 minute ago, mikegideon said:

How did this get here? I was attempting to respond to SWJewellTN. This has happened several times lately. I'm getting old responses showing up in odd places.

1 hour ago, hipower said:

It sure seems that the concept of individual and private ownership has been lost from the minds of people. They give no thought to wandering all over other peoples' lands. I've had people wandering in my back yard before. I asked what they were doing and told oh, just looking around. When I told them they were trespassing and to leave, the leader of the little group got hot and told me I was being and ass. I suggested that first he meet me , then ask about walking thru my property. The suggested he leave as I was calling Metro. They left cursing me. 

I had a similar conversation with a neighbor, I was the trespasser.  I had my 2 yr old in my arms so he could give a different neighbor's horse an apple across a fence, which we'd done several times before with permission from the horse's owner.  Useless old bitty got all pissy about it. I told her my thoughts on the matter as well. We haven't spoken since. 

Booby traps are funny right up until someone gets hurt. Then you get to laugh all the way to prison. 

1 hour ago, peejman said:

I had a similar conversation with a neighbor, I was the trespasser.  I had my 2 yr old in my arms so he could give a different neighbor's horse an apple across a fence, which we'd done several times before with permission from the horse's owner.  Useless old bitty got all pissy about it. I told her my thoughts on the matter as well. We haven't spoken since. 

Situations dictate how I will react. Yours was a bit different. So we must act accordingly.

I didn't know any of these people. Their action was one of complete disregard for my/other peoples boundaries. Someone asking me for permission to look around is totally different matter. Just walking down my drive, past my house and garage, and just nosing around is not something I take lightly.

Nor do I like people  and cars I don't know coming down my drive from off the street. The drive is about 120 feet long and clearly is different from the street surface. Most can see that it's a dead end and property drive. But we have had them come speeding off the street and sliding in the drive. It's clearly not a thru street. If you have a question or a problem, stop and come to the front. Don't head for the back. You don't have any need to be there unless invited.

One evening a big old Buick did this. I knew I didn't know the car. It really didn't slow down. Just ran right by the house and ended by going into the back yard.

Before the 2 young men could get out of the car, I was out to meet them at the drive. Yes, with a little bit of protection behind my back.

They were loud and rude, insisting they were at the right place and here for the party. When I could not convince them of the error; they got a lot louder and a bit aggressive. Yes I'd say drinking was involved.

I yelled back to my wife to call for police, and the guys got nasty and a bit threatening. When they approached with arms up and clenched fists, I asked them to step back and leave. No results. so I let my hand come from behind my back.

Attitudes changed somewhat then. Loudly and grudgingly, they left.

Just as the police came.

Last I saw of them was with blue lights flashing and chasing.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, hipower said:

Situations dictate how I will react. Yours was a bit different. So we must act accordingly.

I didn't know any of these people. Their action was one of complete disregard for my/other peoples boundaries. Someone asking me for permission to look around is totally different matter. Just walking down my drive, past my house and garage, and just nosing around is not something I take lightly.

Nor do I like people  and cars I don't know coming down my drive from off the street. The drive is about 120 feet long and clearly is different from the street surface. Most can see that it's a dead end and property drive. But we have had them come speeding off the street and sliding in the drive. It's clearly not a thru street. If you have a question or a problem, stop and come to the front. Don't head for the back. You don't have any need to be there unless invited.

One evening a big old Buick did this. I knew I didn't know the car. It really didn't slow down. Just ran right by the house and ended by going into the back yard.

Before the 2 young men could get out of the car, I was out to meet them at the drive. Yes, with a little bit of protection behind my back.

They were loud and rude, insisting they were at the right place and here for the party. When I could not convince them of the error; they got a lot louder and a bit aggressive. Yes I'd say drinking was involved.

I yelled back to my wife to call for police, and the guys got nasty and a bit threatening. When they approached with arms up and clenched fists, I asked them to step back and leave. No results. so I let my hand come from behind my back.

Attitudes changed somewhat then. Loudly and grudgingly, they left.

Just as the police came.

Last I saw of them was with blue lights flashing and chasing.

I wasn't intending to throw stones, just a view from the other side of the fence. 

That buick sounds like an adventure. Perhaps a gate or a sign is in order. 

My parents live on the end of a dead end road and occasionally get people who manage to ignore the "dead end" and "private drive" signs. Thankfully none of them have ended up in the back yard. That would be interesting for sure. 

1 hour ago, peejman said:

I wasn't intending to throw stones, just a view from the other side of the fence. 

That buick sounds like an adventure. Perhaps a gate or a sign is in order. 

My parents live on the end of a dead end road and occasionally get people who manage to ignore the "dead end" and "private drive" signs. Thankfully none of them have ended up in the back yard. That would be interesting for sure. 

I completely understood. I just re-read my own post, and I think I got a little carried away. But that's normal for me.

• Like 1
On 11/1/2016 at 1:22 PM, chances R said:

I appreciate the sanctity of property and that trespassing is wrong.  However that is no an excuse to harm or maim someone.   

Then how do you get your point across to a disrespectful idiot carrying a high power rifle?

• Like 1