New ARA Club and Match (Rimfire Match) - Sat, Nov 19th

I wanted to officially invite all interested to our first official “ARA” (American Rimfire Association) club match at Strategic Edge this Saturday, October 15th at  8:30 AM.  This is the first relay ready time, so please plan to be there early (around 7:30) if you want to shoot.  

We have signed up as an official ARA club and we will have two official shoots this year.  This weekend will be our first match and our first national shoot will be on November 19th.  We expect to have some of the best ARA shooters from around the Southeast in attendance in November, including the ARA National Champ.   We will shoot a 3 card match this Saturday as an introduction for locals and the more publicized match in November will be a 5 card match.

We will have a monthly match starting next year in March, most likely the first Saturday of every month.  We are an outdoor club, so typically our season runs from March - Nov.

So, just what is ARA and how is the game played?  ARA is based on a 25 bull target shot at 50 yards with 1 shot per bull scored for a total possible score of 2500 points.  You have 20 minutes to shoot the entire card and you can shoot as many sighter’s as you would like.

This is what the target looks like. 

i-LdCWsDP.png

ARA is scored on ‘worst’ edge meaning the outside of the bullet hole away from the center of the bull is what determines your score for that shot.  Don’t worry about having to understand it completely; we explain everything in detail during the match and will score everything.  Scoring example below.

i-LL4K6FH-L.jpg

What equipment can you use?  These will be unlimited class matches which basically means, bring whatever you want to shoot so long as it is a 22lr.  I promise you if you like shooting 22’s for small groups, you will like this game and it will make you a better shooter.  If you think you have a “tack driver”, bring it and as we say “show up and shoot”.  This game is a ton of fun, but it isn’t easy.  Hint #1: The wind is the devil :mad:.  There will be some very nice BR guns there, but don’t let that stop you.   We have had everything from 10/22’s on bipods up to full BR guns, it doesn’t matter.  Just show up and have some fun and compete with yourself if nothing else.   

I can promise you that shooters that play this game are some of the nicest people you will ever meet.  Yes, this can be a serious competition, but it is also about making friends and having a good time.  If you aren’t sure if this is up your alley, you are welcome to even just come watch if you would like.  However,  I know most who do this wish they would have just brought their gun and shot in it.

Cost for the first match will be $20.  It is an extra $5 for non-range members.  Plan on needing a minimum of 150 rounds of ammo (total) for the 3 targets.  You can easily go through 25 sighter’s on a target.  We will also have a short sighter 5 min warm up before the first card to let everyone get a feel for shooting the target. 

My recommendation to anyone wanting to give it a try.  Just come do it.  I don’t think you will be disappointed in the slightest. 

For anyone who thinks they may want to attend regularly, I highly recommend you sign up as an ARA member.  The cost is free and this will help track your scores throughout the year.  You can find the signup sheet here: http://americanrimfire.com/index.php/auth/create .  After each match, I will send in all scores for official records.  It’s no problem at all to not sign up, you can always do it later when you get addicted :nervous:.

For more information on ARA, please check out the website.

http://www.americanrimfire.com

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.  There are very few, if any, real Rimfire BR matches in Middle TN, so we hope this may appeal to many of you.  We want to make our matches some of the best attended in the Southeast.  It starts with getting the local shooters introduced to the sport so if you have any questions at all, please let me know. 

Range is located at 2613 TN-270, Chapel Hill, TN 37034.

Thanks!

Edited by Hozzie
23 minutes ago, Ugly said:

Very cool! I wish I weren't 3.5 hours away, it sounds like some challenging competition.

have fun!

They have an ARA match once a month at Oak Ridge.  I think they are done for this year, but they should start back up next spring.   There are also matches at Kettelfoot.  They do indoor matches during the winter.  I don't see a schedule up for this year yet, but check the ARA website in the coming weeks and I am sure the new matches will be there.

I shot my first ARA match at ORSA last Saturday,  Had a blast, met some really nice and helpful guys there who were willing to answer all my questions.  Plan on doing it next year when the schedule starts back up.  

Hope you have a good turn out.  

• Like 1

As competitions go, I have never met a group of people more willing to share information and even equipment as I have with ARA.  Most of us who shoot often have multiple custom guns and will let someone use them to get started.  It really made an impression on me when I started. It's one of the reasons I now am ok with traveling long distances for matches.  

• 4 weeks later...

Our next match is on Nov 19th.  It will most likely settle the ARA national A-Line championship.  It should be a great match.  Even if you aren't sure you would want to do this, come out and take a look.  These are some of the best shooters in the country.

The match will start at 10:00 AM.  If anyone has questions, just let me know.  

Edited by Hozzie
  • 2 weeks later...