You're hanging by your harness. NOW WHAT?

I've been reading a lot about tree stands. Climbers and ladder types. I've also been reading a lot and watching a lot of videos about safety harnesses. What I haven't been reading or seeing in videos is what you do when you find yourself hanging by your lifeline. I'm sure there are many people out there that would have great difficulty getting back into the stand. Hanging in a harness for more than just a few minutes, like 10 or so, begins to get more dangerous by the minute. There are a few devices that allow a safe decent after the fall, rather than hanging there with no way to get up or down.  One of these is called Downsafe. It looks like a pretty good idea. Does anyone have/use one of these?    http://www.downsafe.com

I have no information about downsafe but I thought I would share a recent story about the importance of using a harness. A week or so ago one of my wife's relatives fell out of a tree stand and was nearly killed. He's still at UT hospital where he has many broken bones including his back. He's got a 50/50 chance of ever walking again.

Be safe out there guys.

Here's a video demonstrating how to get back into the stand. It doesn't really address getting all the way down if you need to though. In that case I'd say the Downsafe product you mentioned or a lineman's belt or @Omega's suggestion if you already have a lifeline rope to the ground.

Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, Omega said:

I carry a carabiner and a couple lengths of 1" tubular nylon to either repel down or do a prusik climb depending on how high I am.

Hey Omega, If I follow the diagram of the prusik climb, do I really have to smoke a cigarette while doing it?

Climber%20with%20a%20smoke_zpst9fcg9hs.p

9 minutes ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

Hey Omega, If I follow the diagram of the prusik climb, do I really have to smoke a cigarette while doing it?

Climber%20with%20a%20smoke_zpst9fcg9hs.p

Well, if a couple guys on here have their way you can smoke something else. :lol:

• Like 1