AK Mistake

KahrMan

The mistake was shooting one.  Until Saturday I had not ever shot an AK.  They just never really interested me.  To make matters worse, the first AK I shot was full auto.  

Man what a fun gun to shoot.  It was a blast doing 3-4 round burst moving from target to target.  

Looks like now I am going to have another gun to start buying.  :wall:  Time to say bye bye :sadwave: to more of my hard earned money.

• Like 9

I'm with you there. I have been a long time AR guy. I've built nearly 20 to date. I love the "Lego" aspect of them. They are a great fun to shoot and you can get sub MOA with then. They are great guns. 

Then there is the AK. While not very modular nor the most accurate (yet it is practically accurate and can reach out to 300m accurately enough), it is a very fun gun to shoot. It's very hard to describe it. It's just a fun gun to shoot. And let's not forget the reliability of the platform. It'll spit just about anything you feed it. 

Mall in all, I'm in the same boat. I own an Arsenal SAM-7 and took it for a spin about a month back and just fell in love. Previously, it was one of those "I don't have an AK, guess I need one" situations. Now it's my favorite rifle. 

All in all, I'm with you. I have an Arsenal 5.45 now on layaway too. You're not alone in this. Now I too am going to be parting with my money.

1 hour ago, KahrMan said:

The mistake was shooting one.  Until Saturday I had not ever shot an AK.  They just never really interested me.  To make matters worse, the first AK I shot was full auto.  

Man what a fun gun to shoot.  It was a blast doing 3-4 round burst moving from target to target.  

Looks like now I am going to have another gun to start buying.  :wall:  Time to say bye bye :sadwave: to more of my hard earned money.

I knew the moment that you went with my suggestion to try transitioning between targets - - - and you kept good trigger control with your burst - - - that your budget was going to take a hit!

Now the only question is...., AK-47 or AK-74?  :dirty:

Edited by DMark
  • Like 1
48 minutes ago, DMark said:

I knew the moment that you went with my suggestion to try transitioning between targets - - - and you kept good trigger control with your burst - - - that your budget was going to take a hit!

Now the only question is...., AK-47 or AK-74?  :dirty:

I had no idea that was you. Nice meeting you. 

3 minutes ago, TGO David said:

KahrMan, let's go shopping.  I am in the market for an AK [finally] myself.  

Based on what I have seen, 7.62 is the caliber to get as 5.45 has become increasingly harder to find.  Any truth to this?

I went from no AK about a year ago to 3! Plus a pistol!

7.62x39 just feels good to me, enough recoil to keep your attention, even FMJ really blows stuff up much better than .223 too, which is too fast for small size to do much but pass through. All the steel cased stuff is same or cheaper than same in .223 and you get a lot bigger cartridge and bullet for the money!  :)

- OS

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, TGO David said:

KahrMan, let's go shopping.  I am in the market for an AK [finally] myself.  

Based on what I have seen, 7.62 is the caliber to get as 5.45 has become increasingly harder to find.  Any truth to this?

I think 5.45 is harder to find. We got some in at academy last week, first time in 4 months. It's also 10 dollars for a box of 30 I think. If anyone is local and needs 7.62 there is some on clearance at Academy for 5.49 and this weekend you get another 25% off. 

• Like 1

An AK in 7.62x39 is a damn fine gun if you aren't expecting to drive nails with it.  Plenty of punch for what I would call "combat distances" once you get used to the iron sight system (for those who grew up with peep sights), a blast to shoot, and very friendly when it comes to maintenance needs if you have one built to proper specs.  If anyone is scared about ammo, both Remington and Winchester make 7.62x39, so American manufacturers can come through if demand is high enough.

I'm an AR guy through and through, but my local FFL/pawn shop has some nice and worn in AK's for sale, and I'm quite tempted to get one once I have a more consistent cash flow. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator

@btq96r, Yeah I am an AR guy as well.  I have years of experience with the AR platform but tragically lost all of my ARs to a freak boating accident and just feel the need to have an AK that I can take with me the next time I go night-fishing or some other risky water sport.  God forbid the boat tip over again and I lose another rifle.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, TGO David said:

@btq96r, Yeah I am an AR guy as well.  I have years of experience with the AR platform but tragically lost all of my ARs to a freak boating accident and just feel the need to have an AK that I can take with me the next time I go night-fishing or some other risky water sport.  God forbid the boat tip over again and I lose another rifle.

I bought a new RWC Saiga IZ132Z a while back. It's a smooth running rifle. For an AR guy getting his first AK, I think it would be a good choice: :up:

If you want a threaded barrel with slant brake, get the US132Z though. 

Old video, so you got to apply current situations (politics, sanctions, ammo supply, etc.) and all to the equation, but still has some good info:

5 minutes ago, Mindless-Focus said:

The VZ.58 are great rifles. Outstanding, actually. Just remember, they are their own system. Worth the buy tho. 

Lol,yes sir,BLACKVANDRIVER set me straight when I called in an AK. The only problem I have had is finding somewhere to shoot it.

Edited by Esko 270
45 minutes ago, nightrunner said:

From the reviews I have been reading, DDI is a really good one. And made in Knoxville too.

Just yesterday Rachel at Fighting Sheep Dog told me that PSA has bought DDI. She thought maybe the PSA AK I was picking up was made by DDI, but I kinda don't think that's happened yet.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
9 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Just yesterday Rachel at Fighting Sheep Dog told me that PSA has bought DDI. She thought maybe the PSA AK I was picking up was made by DDI, but I kinda don't think that's happened yet.

- OS

According to AK Operator's Union, the PSA AK is no joke legit. Great barrel and great material. Also looks like they took all the positives of all the various versions and rolled them into one. One of his most accurate he has. I'm waiting for the Russian Red to come back in stock. 

46 minutes ago, Mindless-Focus said:

According to AK Operator's Union, the PSA AK is no joke legit. Great barrel and great material. Also looks like they took all the positives of all the various versions and rolled them into one. One of his most accurate he has. I'm waiting for the Russian Red to come back in stock. 

Yeah, I grabbed the MOE model, keeps coming and going, have to be purt quick to get any of them when they put them up. Ran by the range and ran quick 40 rounds of Tula through it, just fine, sights already pert close. All a little tighter and smoother than my WASRs, little slicker finish on the receiver and whatnot. Much tighter mag well fit.

I guess it's pretty much standard AKM with only one obvious mod except the furniture of course:  no front sling ring on their handguard retainer (handguard wouldn't fit if there were and you couldn't get to it if it did). Oh, and bayo lug is a bit too large to fit, guess could shape it to do it but probably won't.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
14 minutes ago, Mindless-Focus said:

Yeah, I have some notifications set up on the Russian red. As soon as it does, I'm on it. 

Worth waiting for it, and if it were my first one I would have too. But wanted to get another in the stable just on general principles against the uncertain future. Plus it'll give any purists a chance to razz me for the Tacticool bastardization. Right, Garufa? ;)

not my pic:

7777853profileright_zpsyghblum5.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1