Over and under 410&22

Guest m&pc9

Does anyone have any information on a gun that is an .22 over and 410 under or the other way around . My uncle is looking for one and I dont have a clue where to start looking. So if you have a mfg or any other info i wound appreciate it. Thanks

Guest Astra900

Yeah, it's ugly, but it has it's purpose and does it quite nicely too.

Here's a few that have been Helped in the looks dept.

182317-M61.jpg

m6-2.jpg

Edited by Astra900
Guest Astra900

Yeah, and it serves a 3 fold purpose. Looks, comfort, and in a survival situation, you got a small spool of Para cord. Who couldn't use a little extra string when living off the land:tough:

Guest TnDeerHunter

Thanks Astra for the links I think I just learned to like mine a little more after seeing the price they are asking. I paid 125.oo when I bought it new. Just wish I could figure out how to make the trigger a lot better

• 4 years later...

Yeah, it's ugly, but it has it's purpose and does it quite nicely too.
Here's a few that have been Helped in the looks dept.
182317-M61.jpg

m6-2.jpg

Astra 900,

I realize this post is over 5 years old...but, I'm curious about the current prices on these little guns. What are the worth today? I realize there are some pretty amazing "asking" prices out there on the auctions. I also realize these prices vary considerably, depending on the season, and what part of the country you're in. I'm talking here in Middle Tennessee, in November of 2013...what do you think one could be bought for? Thanks. Nice Scouts, by the way.

Savage brought out a new over/under this year - the Model 42.   A lot of plastic, but that's the rage.

Enfield, I've actually held one of these in my hands. I'm a Savage fan, and own a number of Savage guns, but this one just looks like a cheap gun. Too much plastic... I believe the sights are plastic... or at least the front sight! Compared to the original Savage model 24s, it is a piece of junk...IMHO.

• Like 1

I have owned many of these combo guns in my life.  I currently have one in the safe, its at 22magnum over 20 gauge.  I think Savage has had 90%+ of the market on these guns for last 60 years.  If you are going the used route, you looking for model 24 which likely comes in 30+ different variants.  Great guns, likely the best squirrel gun ever made.  For some reason there is a glut of these in the local flea markets.  410/22LR is the most sought after version, but there are others.  I think you can even buy a new one at Walmart in the black synthetic stock, I still think the model is 24, or it may be new number.   Likely price is $250 - $350 range.  There are some older ones with plastic stocks that are in $175-$225 range.

I have owned many of these combo guns in my life.  I currently have one in the safe, its at 22magnum over 20 gauge.  I think Savage has had 90%+ of the market on these guns for last 60 years.  If you are going the used route, you looking for model 24 which likely comes in 30+ different variants.  Great guns, likely the best squirrel gun ever made.  For some reason there is a glut of these in the local flea markets.  410/22LR is the most sought after version, but there are others.  I think you can even buy a new one at Walmart in the black synthetic stock, I still think the model is 24, or it may be new number.   Likely price is $250 - $350 range.  There are some older ones with plastic stocks that are in $175-$225 range.

Runco,

If you know where there are Savage 24s for $250, please send them my way! I, also, own a Savage 24 chambered in 22mag over 20 gauge, and about seven other different variants, including the "holy grail" of Savage 24s, the Savage 24C Camper's Companion. I've been looking for one chambered in the .22 Hornet on the rifle barrel, but have not found one at the right price so far. All of my Savage 24s have wood furniture. Those older ones with the "plastic stocks" are actually Tennite stocks...and many of the stocks are warped from being in hot trunks or truck cabs! So, check it out carefully if you are buying one with Tennite furniture. Just curious, what have you had the best hunting results with, using your .22mag/20Ga....squirrel, rabbits, coon? Have you had any luck on coyotes with it? Obviously, I like me some Savage model 24s. I have one in .30-30/20Ga. that I bought from a grandson, whose granddad had bought new at a hardware store. The grandson had harvested 19 deer with it since he acquired it after his granddad's passing. I told him I'd take extra good care of it, and I have. Maybe we should start a thread about Savage 24s.

I've owned several of these in .22LR over .410.  The one I currently own, made in 1954, has had two rounds through the .22LR pipe and has the hang tag. It was my mother in law's wedding present from my late father in law. And NO, he was not killed in 1954 by the first round through the pipe, although that might have been justified even back then. But whether you have an old one, an M6 (very expensive now days) or the new Savage plastic gun, they can be fun squirrel guns and a passable farm varmint gun.  Trying to elevate these guns to Jedi status like many old guns are seems stupid to me.  Triggers are crap, guns are not really fast or particularly robust compared to some modern guns, and they are not more accurate.  So to me paying premium prices seems stupid.  

• Like 1

The 24, especially in .410/22 is one of those guns I'm always keeping an eye out for.  Seems the current going rate on them is around $400 in decent shape.  I can't get intrested in the 42, just too dang ugly with an attempted dose of tacticool.  It's not a gun that I need or would likely use often but when I find one in the $200-300 range it's going home with me.

I've owned several of these in .22LR over .410.  The one I currently own, made in 1954, has had two rounds through the .22LR pipe and has the hang tag. It was my mother in law's wedding present from my late father in law. And NO, he was not killed in 1954 by the first round through the pipe, although that might have been justified even back then. But whether you have an old one, an M6 (very expensive now days) or the new Savage plastic gun, they can be fun squirrel guns and a passable farm varmint gun.  Trying to elevate these guns to Jedi status like many old guns are seems stupid to me.  Triggers are crap, guns are not really fast or particularly robust compared to some modern guns, and they are not more accurate.  So to me paying premium prices seems stupid.  

Graycrait, your point is well taken. When these guns were in their heyday, they were reasonably priced, and everyone hunted in the woods or fields close to the house just to put some meat on the table. In those days, there was very little talk about "sport hunting", and more about what you had in your freezer. Back then, wild game of all types greatly supplemented the home raised poultry, pork, and beef to feed the family until next year's hunting season rolled around again. These little guns have done their share to 'fill the freezer", dispatch the varmints... both two and four legged types, and also provide a little friendly competition when a spur of the moment challenge arose among the good ole boys. I love mine... just need more spaces to put them to good use in. I've spent many hours just sitting...leaned back against a tree... enjoying the smells, the sounds, and the beauty of God's creation. Beats the heck out of indoor video games for a young boy...or girl!