Best place to learn about fetching

Hi, newbie here and I need to refletch my arrows.  Is there a go-to authority in archery with lots of how-to type guides for new folks?  I want to learn about the types of fletchings I should order, how to re-fletch, etc.

Thanks!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to dig up some of my links to some good resources. There's lots of good info on the web.

I really enjoy building my own arrows. It gives even more satisfaction to shooting my bow. Fletching an arrow is not hard, but it might take a little trial and error to get exactly what you want. The balance, spin, accuracy and speed of your arrow can all be affected or improved by the fletchings. First, decide what type you want. I like feathers because they are forgiving when they get ruffed up a bit, they look cool and I like the traditional aspect. Plus they fly really good with my setup. They are easier to damage and probably a little bit slower though. Most folks propably use vanes these days, though. I have a Bitzenburger jig, but there are a lot of different options out there. You can set the jig to give your fletching a straight or helical pattern. You can also decide how far from the nock to set the fletchings to change the arrow's center of gravity. They glue on easily. I also wrap my arrow to give it the look I want. This also has the benefit of keeping the shaft free of glue should you decide to change your fletchings. 

They also make the heat shrink type that you slip on and dip in hot water to shrink it on the shaft. There are a lot of good arrow building products out there now. I will try to find and post the links to what I used to get started.

1 hour ago, BlessTheUSA said:

Hi, newbie here and I need to refletch my arrows.  Is there a go-to authority in archery with lots of how-to type guides for new folks?  I want to learn about the types of fletchings I should order, how to re-fletch, etc.

Thanks!

Here is what you need. This is where I learned it, and I recommend printing out all chapters and puting in a notebook for future reference (there are 5 chapters). That's what I did. Great info and works well.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/archery-help/hunting-target-arrows-selection-guide-chapter-1.html

Edited by Wingshooter