No left turn on red?

BigK

Today was going to be a great day. I went to bed early, got a solid 7+ hours of sleep, was out the door 15 minutes early for work, and was already looking forward to getting to work early enough to hit the omelet bar in the cafeteria before I started work. That all got ruined by a red light. 

I was alone in the left turn lane and the sensors under the road just wouldn't give my motorcycle a left turn arrow. I even tried shifting to neutral and lowering the kickstand (I heard that works sometimes). I'm sure somebody would have eventually pulled in behind me and maybe would have tripped the sensor for me. I have had to pull completely across the crosswalk to let a car behind me trip the sensor before, leaving me way out in the intersection, which makes my butt twitch. So I figured best bet was to wait for a clear spot and turn anyway. 

The officer that pulled me over a block down the road didn't agree. He asks why I think I got pulled over, so used that opportunity to respectfully and politely explain the phenomenon about motorcycles not being able to trip the traffic sensors (in case he didn't know that was "a thing"). He says I still should have waited; I respectfully and politely agreed; and he walked off to his patrol car with my license/registration/proof of insurance. 

I don't know if it was my respectful and polite demeanor, the fact that I have a clean driving record going all the way back to 1986, or the "BOOBIES MAKE ME SMILE" license plate frame on my bike that won him over. Furthermore, I don't care. I'm just happy he was cool and let me off with a warning. Nonetheless, I was starving by the time lunch finally rolled around, but at least I didn't get a ticket.

I believe the law is actually that if you have to wait for more than 2 minutes (while on a motorcycle) and it doesn't change that you are allowed to proceed with caution.  You may want to verify.  It may not be exactly 2 minutes, but I believe there is some allowance for time.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Hozzie said:

I believe the law is actually that if you have to wait for more than 2 minutes (while on a motorcycle) and it doesn't change that you are allowed to proceed with caution.  You may want to verify.

I recall something to that effect being passed years ago.

I believe the law is actually that if you have to wait for more than 2 minutes (while on a motorcycle) and it doesn't change that you are allowed to proceed with caution.  You may want to verify.  It may not be exactly 2 minutes, but I believe there is some allowance for time.

So how do they prove that someone waited the correct amount of time or not?

Found this.  

T.C.A. 55-8-110 
.(b) Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, the driver of a motorcycle approaching an intersection that is controlled by a traffic-control signal utilizing a vehicle detection device that is inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle shall come to a full and complete stop at the intersection and, after exercising due care as provided by law, may proceed with due caution when it is safe to do so. It is not a defense to a violation of ?º 55-8-109 that the driver of a motorcycle proceeded under the belief that a traffic-control signal utilized a vehicle detection device or was inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle when such signal did not utilize a vehicle detection device or that any such device was not in fact inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle

Looks like there may not be a time limit.  I don't even know if this is still valid, but would be worth looking up if you ride.  I don't ride anymore so I will let someone else dig further.

• Like 2

I remember when that law was passed, and I've been doing it ever since. It's only been a few times that I had to invoke it, and I feel really weird, and scared (that I didn't see oncoming traffic) when I do. Most times I'll just try and wait it out.

Never had the opportunity to plead my case to an officer. I bet yours went back to the cruiser, called it in and someone set him straight. Instead of 'fessing up his ignorance, he "let you go". 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Grand Torino said:

You got lucky....really lucky.;)

Nope, what he did was perfectly legal. Motorcycles are not required to wait indefinitely at a malfunctioning traffic light. 

The next step is to call the local dot office and report it. The sensitivity of some lights can be adjusted. 

And weight of the vehicle has nothing to do with it. The sensors are magnetic, so an aluminum intensive motorcycle won't activate the sensor regardless of how much it weighs. 

• Like 1

Put a rare earth magnet on the bottom somewhere, a decent size one will trip the in ground sensors.  Had to do that to a 600CC ninja cause it would never trip anything - set up as a track bike with carbon fiber wheels so there was almost no metal near the ground except the pan on the engine

Edited by Sam1
  • Like 1

I rode a bike for years, and only ever found a couple of detection loops that wouldn't pick up a motorcycle. It does happen, but seems to be somewhat rare.

I'm sure you guys know, it seems a lot don't however, that one has to remain INSIDE the detection loop in order to activate it. Most people assume six feet in front of it is somehow better.

• Like 2

As mentioned, what you need to do and the rest of the motorcyclists here is make a copy of that law and add it to your proof of INS and Registration.

That law has been in effect for several years and I've used it countless times. I've also been pulled over about half a dozen times and it's got me out of ticket and educated an officer each time. :up: