Krav Maga

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Astra900

Jew-Jitsu!

It's one of the best forms of combat ever invented. Is it any wonder that the martial arts world shuns it? The world shows it's anti-semitic roots.

I'd love to take the classes, I just don't have the free time.

I love the fact that it does not focus on style, form or any kata type BS. Neutralize the threat as fast as possible, by any means possible. How wickedly Klingon beautiful is that!?!

It's the next best thing to Cobra-Kia!

Jew-Jitsu!

It's one of the best forms of combat ever invented. Is it any wonder that the martial arts world shuns it? The world shows it's anti-semitic roots.

I'd love to take the classes, I just don't have the free time.

I love the fact that it does not focus on style, form or any kata type BS. Neutralize the threat as fast as possible, by any means possible. How wickedly Klingon beautiful is that!?!

It's the next best thing to Cobra-Kia!

I think where a lot of the criticism comes from is MMA instructors who claim it is ineffective in the ring, or only focuses on "dis-arms". Which is true to some extent. It wouldn't work in the ring, because it wasn't designed for the ring! It was designed for neutralizing a threat, specifically an armed threat, NOT sport-fighting.

I'd like to give it a try myself. Where is mid-south Krav Maga located?

I think where a lot of the criticism comes from is MMA instructors who claim it is ineffective in the ring, or only focuses on "dis-arms". Which is true to some extent. It wouldn't work in the ring, because it wasn't designed for the ring! It was designed for neutralizing a threat, specifically an armed threat, NOT sport-fighting.

I'd like to give it a try myself. Where is mid-south Krav Maga located?

The website is www.midsouthkravmaga.com. The Nashville classes are held at the Jewish Community Center (off Hwy. 70 close to Bellevue) and the Cool Springs YMCA.

I took some Krav training a couple years ago. It would work just fine in the ring, as long as the Krav fighter had some grappling know-how.

I have no doubt that it could prevail over several other styles, but it seems a lot of Krav Maga technique is based off of what would be called "fighting dirty" in the ring. Of course, when it comes to self-defense, there's no such thing as fighting dirty, as all is fair in love and war.

I trained Brazilian Jujitsu and Muay Thai a few years back, and while I liked the Jujitsu, I wouldn't see it being effective while fighting multiple assailants. It'd be real easy to punch someone in the head while they had your friend wrapped up in their guard, you know? :dropjaw:

I always like knowing different styles because you can adapt and train to use whatever. I've seen some guys that were awesome at their own forms get massacred by other forms because they couldn't adapt to that style.

I've done Tae-Kwon-Do mainly, but I've sampled in Aikido, Jujitsu, and I've had a few Krav Maga techniques demonstrated to me.

Guest MinorKey

They offer a free intro class so you can get an idea for how it works and such.(just show up when they are holding class) I went to it and it kicked my A**. (need more cardio) I am way too out of shape to be effective in a real situation. (that is something i will definitely be working on)

The class is Mon and Wed at Cool springs YMCA starting at 6:45 for an hour. On Tues and Thurs it is at the JCC in Belleview same time. the cost is 79 a month for a full year commitment and that covers as many times as you wanna get beat up per week. (up to all 4 classes if you want) There is a uniform requirement. (59 i think with hand wraps only and 89 with the bag gloves. comes with t-shirt and nylon training pants) You can also go month to month for 109 per month. Very good training and highly effective. i will be going back once i work up to a good cardio level so i dont loose my breath halfway through and catch up to it 20 mins after class!! The owner is named Patrick and it is said he is one of the better instructors in the country. (maybe the best outside of Cali) Although they do have "belt testing" it is not necessary or pushed much. it is all about getting you confident with being able to handle just about any situation.

-C

They offer a free intro class so you can get an idea for how it works and such.(just show up when they are holding class) I went to it and it kicked my A**. (need more cardio) I am way too out of shape to be effective in a real situation. (that is something i will definitely be working on)

The class is Mon and Wed at Cool springs YMCA starting at 6:45 for an hour. On Tues and Thurs it is at the JCC in Belleview same time. the cost is 79 a month for a full year commitment and that covers as many times as you wanna get beat up per week. (up to all 4 classes if you want) There is a uniform requirement. (59 i think with hand wraps only and 89 with the bag gloves. comes with t-shirt and nylon training pants) You can also go month to month for 109 per month. Very good training and highly effective. i will be going back once i work up to a good cardio level so i dont loose my breath halfway through and catch up to it 20 mins after class!! The owner is named Patrick and it is said he is one of the better instructors in the country. (maybe the best outside of Cali) Although they do have "belt testing" it is not necessary or pushed much. it is all about getting you confident with being able to handle just about any situation.

-C

Cool, doesn't sound too hard on the wallet. I might have to go check it out.

Guest Guntrainer

Dear Minor Key

In my travels training Armed Professionals and Citizens, I find the average bear is seldom in battle trim.

You have two good things going for you. One is, the average miscreant is not in good shape either. He likely is out of gas 30 or 40 seconds into a struggle. If you can weather that storm, you have a good chance of coming out the other side.

As an older trainer, being in very good shape often allows me to wear down a younger, much stronger student or adversary by evasion and sheer endurance.

I train for flexibility and endurance. Brute strength for five seconds does not win fights on the street against one who is amped up on drugs or rage. Having the battle skills to counter blows and grabs, while inflicting damage of your own, and the endurance to outlast a stronger, larger opponent is a cardinal issue on the street. One shot strikes cannot be counted on to stop an attack by a drug crazed thug.

There are many techniques which will work every time if used properly, but they generally take a large commitment of time and dedication, and most folks simply do not have the motivational resources to stay with such a program.

Many of these strikes have the potential to be considered Excessive, or even Lethal Force, with the legal and ethical jeopardies attached. Killing a thug who is trying to beat you up with his fists is a good way to go to jail after you are financially wiped out.

The second thing is, you can go to the gym and develop your cardio and strength program. Proper diet and conservative lifestyle is an important part of this.

One thing I would add, is that running is an advanced exercise that should be worked into. The smart athlete does not run to get in shape, but gets in shape to run. At the gym, most injuries occur while running. Lifting too much weight with bad form is another gut buster.

If you are interested in working with a trainer who is very good at a defensive fitness program, PM me and I will give you two names and numbers. :P