Man with a Gun

• Moderators

So, as stated previously, my occupation requires me to drive a vehicle around the area quite a bit everyday. Today I was driving around a neighborhood in the city and noticed that there was a man who seemed to be wearing a black t-shirt and what looked like plaid boxers. He had a cell phone to one ear and a revolver in the other. I noticed another car driving by stop and they conversed a bit.  He was not very careful with the revolver and was waving it around some all the while still on the phone.
I thought briefly and decided to call 911. While on the phone with 911,I noticed he started hovering around a driveway and walking towards the house. It seems that the previously mentioned vehicle backed into this very same driveway.

I hung out on a side street in the safety of my vehicle and waited around for a brief moment. Within about 2 minutes a patrol car pulls up. I'm sitting there in my perfectly marked vehicle with strobes on; It is obvious to the officer that it was me that called the call in. Luckily enough I went to school with the officer and chatted it up for a few seconds, me relaying what I saw to him directly. He went up to check it out and I decided to pull away and go work somewhere else. About 10 minutes later I see the officer driving down a main road away from the incident so it must have been nothing serious.

Now, do you think I did the right thing. I am very, very pro-gun. I of course have a HCP. A man carrying a gun down any public road is not automatically an issue to me. However, a man holding a handgun while walking down a public road is alarming to me. As pro-gun as I am, I know not to walk down the street holding my Glock 19 in my hand. My thoughts were at the time perhaps that he was threatening to take his own life (or that of his family). Mentally unstable people surround us. However, after the fact and since nothing really seemed to have went down, I got to thinking how pissed I would be if I were transporting a gun from my house to my vehicle and then the cops came to check me out because a neighbor/passerby phoned in a man with a gun. I know that isn't exactly the same but it is similar.

Edited by CZ9MM

You did the right thing. If you see something; say something.

A person walking around with a gun in his hand is not normal. The fact that he is a gun owner doesn't get him a free pass with me; he could be headed over to kill his neighbor. If he isn't doing anything wrong; he won't have any problems.

• Like 4