My AR Build

Guest db99wj

Same old what do I do thread:p

Yep, looks like some things are clearing up and I am going to be able to start a build. I thought about just buying a complete rifle for my first one, but the wife can't seem to get over the price tag!

So I am going I am planning on buying in pieces. I probably, still pending on my final decision, will spend about 200-300 initially, on a lower and parts, possibly with the stock. I could possilby go a little higher, shhhhhh, and get everything but the Upper receiver assemblies.

Not sure where to start. I have looked through many threads and to be honest, I am getting a bit overwhelmed by the amount of info. My goal is to have a plinker, iron sights, possilbe flat top with a removable carry handle for future upgrade to optics if I want to go that route, I like the option. Not going to shoot competition, probably not going to hunt, and I am not going to war with it. Financially I am limited, this will be on a budget, and can not go over beyond reason. I don't want to spend a lot initially, but want to keep the options to upgrade, the upper later, or the lower, or the...see my point.

The problem I am seeing is that everyone is out, they all have Out of Stock, no backorders. I have not contacted my local guy at RangeUSA, which I will maybe do today or Friday.

Edited by db99wj
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TennFarmer

I'm checking www.ar15.com in the equipment exchange about every hour looking for an upper myself. The lower receiver is the part that will require an FFL if you buy one new. Essential Arms did have some stripped lowers (that's where I got mine @ $120 shipped + ffl transfer fee + $10 background). The rest of the stuff has no state paper involved. A used upper looks to be going for about $500 IF your really lucky.

Once the Obummer rush is over, prices should come back down unless the ban comes back. If I have got the hard stuff like the lower that requires FFL, then a ban might not effect you. (disclamier is there are some questions about the date the gun was assemblied if a ban does go back into effect) Just some of my thoughts here. I'm a semi-newbie in the black rifles.

Guest Bronker

It's an exciting time, my friend! I was not brave enough at the time to attempt a build so I bought a complete rifle as my first. I bought a Stag 2L from Hero-Gear on the Friday before the election. It fits your description exactly. It is a flat-top with a fixed front sight. I have a MI BUIS. I have already outfitted it with an ADM Recon Scope Mount (thanks nsnate02) and a Bushnell Banner 3-9x40. Its a great combo. I plan on adding a Eotech soon.

From personal experience, I would recommend, even at risk of slightly higher prices, buying local if you can find it. Buy things you can go and put your hands on if someone has it. Case in point, jcochran88 on here ordered a rear locking pin fron Del-Ton I think, almost 2 months ago. It a $2 part maybe, and it has yet to ship. When he ordered, he was order number #33,000-something in line!! That's crazy!!! Just my opinion, but I don't mind travelling a bit to fondle the goods. I've been back to Hero-Gear several times, a near 300 mile round trip, but even now he seems to be one of the few folks able to keep stock. Plus he's a plethora of knowledge. And his prices have held steady.

This not a commercial for HG, but it is a ringing endorsement.

Good luck, they are a blast to fool with. Love mine!!!

Guest TennFarmer

I'm gonna check out Hero on my next trip to Winchester...looking forward to it. I'd much rather buy stuff that I can lay hands on too and from who know what they are talking about.

Just another idea...I've been checking the www.golsn.com it's a new-to-me site for local selling of about anything. They even have a firearms category (shocking huh?). There have been some local stripped and complete lowers for sale.

I'm checking www.ar15.com in the equipment exchange about every hour looking for an upper myself. The lower receiver is the part that will require an FFL if you buy one new. Essential Arms did have some stripped lowers (that's where I got mine @ $120 shipped + ffl transfer fee + $10 background). The rest of the stuff has no state paper involved. A used upper looks to be going for about $500 IF your really lucky.

Once the Obummer rush is over, prices should come back down unless the ban comes back. If I have got the hard stuff like the lower that requires FFL, then a ban might not effect you. (disclamier is there are some questions about the date the gun was assemblied if a ban does go back into effect) Just some of my thoughts here. I'm a semi-newbie in the black rifles.

The EA lower I got from rabbi for 90$ otd several months ago seems to have been a smart move. ^__^

Guest TennFarmer

Yeah, they went up from $85 (I think) to $105 + $15 shipping. The lady said the only thing they had left in the place was stripped lowers...nothing else.

I know Guns and Leather had a few complete rifles today (Christmas Eve)

I know Reloaders bench had some uppers, but nothing in 5.56/.223. They had one in .50 Beowulf and one in 5.7. I didn't see any uppers @ Guns and Leather today...but I wasn't looking.

I did find a Rock River Arms lower with 6-position Car stock marked 5.56 for $425 OBO shipped. It is a complete lower with the standard trigger (not NM two stage).

Been over at Rock River's site, I could pull this off,

AR0901CX Complete Lower Half / Standard Trigger / 6-Position Tactical CAR Stock

Please allow 2 to 4 months for delivery.

$300.00 FFL Required

Well it is getting late, will continue my search tomorrow. Hopefully the wife is feeling better, and I can go to a pawn shop or two and the range, see what they can do for me, and actually shoot something, oh and see some old friends.

The EA lower I got from rabbi for 90$ otd several months ago seems to have been a smart move. ^__^

The Essential lowers are nice. The guy used to make them for Bushmaster IIRC. rabbi said when he called them last week they never answered the phone. In other words they are swamped like every one else. They are a great price though. Good luck finding anything AR related!

The Essential lowers are nice. The guy used to make them for Bushmaster IIRC. rabbi said when he called them last week they never answered the phone. In other words they are swamped like every one else. They are a great price though. Good luck finding anything AR related!

That seems to be a common theme I am finding. The ones that I am finding, come with Vaseline and even some are coming without!

DTI (Del-Ton, Inc) Complete Lower Receiver with Buttstock for $225.

As mentioned above they are out of stock of course but back order available. The price is right, but dang what a wait.

How is the Rabbi?

Guest VolDaddy

Hey DB

I know tha Guns and Ammo has lowers go in there and talk to Richard. Or try Gunbroker.com. Go to the buyers section and search for a FFL by zip code. It will show who will transfer to you and how much they charge. I believe that Range USA will do It about as cheep as anyone else. As soon as I get my SBR approved, I will be making a trip to Hero Gear to pick it up. You could meet me in Jackson if you want to ride along. I hear they have everything that you could need for a build. I also hear that the TI lowers they have are awesome, a great starting point. That should be about the end of January. Also dont forget Spikes Tactical just for the coolness factor. Im gonna throw in a couple of building links for you too, enjoy.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?x=v&p=0&t=1&i=1103

http://www.tacticalinc.com/forged-precision-machinedbr-ar15-lower-receiver-p-1080.html

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php

Nice thanks, we will see how the next few weeks go. Of course I am trying to go local, but not out of the question making a drive to Hero Gear! Keep me posted on a day in January.

I keep going back to Rock River Arms.

Mid-length A4 flat top upper half for $470 and 8-10 weeks delivery

and the Complete Lower Half / Standard Trigger / 6-Position Tactical CAR Stock for $300 with 2-4 months delivery.

Would need to add either a carry handle for @$150 or a flip up front site for @ $80-$125.

So my total build would be around $900-$950 plus any tax, BC, transfer fees, etc.:koolaid:

Seems like most places are out and have "back order available" or "no back order" or if it is a complete rifle, they are used and at that price and up, seems like $1200 is a popular price.

Not going to rush into this and panic buy, but I do want to get the ball rolling. The amount of time sucks, but gives me a chance to put in a little more effort in my decisions and able to spend a little more if I have too. You never know what you will run across and I am looking for those "deals" that are out there.

OR

Just buy a complete A4 rifle from them for $930!

uhmid07.gif

Edited by db99wj