Don't be like Kahrman...

Kahrman is as dumbass, don't be like Kahrman.

No matter how long you have been doing something, always pay or attention or you can make mistakes.

Last season I could not get my muzzleloader to pattern very well.  In the past I had no problem getting two inch groups at 80 yards, which is not bad for a muzzleloader.  Last season I could not get my groups under 7-8" at 50yards.  I hunted only in thick stuff where I had short shots.  Didn't get a deer and at the end of muzzleloader season I put it back in the safe.  

Couple of weeks ago I getting all my deer rifles out and giving them a good cleaning.  I grab the muzzleloader and realize it is still loaded from last season.  There was not a primer but I did leave the powder and sabot in the barrel.  I pull my preach plug and push the pellets and sabot out.  Two pellets come out and when they hit the workbench each pellet broke in half.  So I am sitting there wondering why there were 4 pellets in my gun.  Then it hit me.  I had been sighting in and hunting with 200 grains of powder instead of 100.  :doh:  I shoot 777 50/50 pellets.  The box has compartments that are 5 deep and ten across.  50 compartments that hold 2 50 grain pellets each.  I had used the pipe cleaner and picked up two pellets thinking it was one pellet.  

A magnum load is considered 150 grains and I was shooting 200 grains.  No wonder I could not get it to pattern.  Well this season I plan on going back to 100 grains and hopefully get my groups back down to a respectable size.  

• Like 1

I am a big guy and not very sensitive to recoil.  I never noticed the increase in recoil.  

I shoot a T/C Encore.  They are actually strong enough to shoot smokeless powder.  So luckily everything help together and there seems to be no ill effects of shooting the 200 grains.

Don't leave a ramrod in one and touch it off. It cause's scope ring around your eyeball to the tune of 4 stiches. My Buddy's Omega was fine but when I found his ramrod and was sure he was going to be alright I giggle grinned and said dammit. His first shot missed and he got excited when he saw those horns. The deer was lucky but my buddy not so much. Sunfish   

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...