Camera at red light, your opinion?

Steelharp

Yesterday, when it was really windy, I was heading back to Gallatin. Came to the intersection at Station Camp where there's a camera. The lights were horizontal in the wind, I was doing the posted 50 mph. When they came down to where I could see them, they were yellow. I slammed on my brakes to try to stop, but no good. Van was just too heavy, and I rolled through, going off the road on to the shoulder. No doubt it took my picture "running" a red light.

Should I go to court when I get the ticket and fight, or just pay the fine and forget it?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If they are the same set up as the Knoxville cameras, it isn't a ticket. It's a fine and doesn't affect your insurance and all that stuff like it would if you got a ticket from a cop for running a red light. I'd pay it and forget it. :)

I would also pay it, if you go to court and lose you will more than likely pay court fines to.

You really effed up by trying to stop!

Next time hit the gas,and get the hell through it!

I have noticed they only catch you if it is red when you're at the line,if you're past the line,and it turns red then you will not get one

How are the TN laws set up regarding cameras? Do they have to prove who was driving, or is the vehicle owner held responsible?

Here it doesn't matter.They just send a picture of your tag along with the bill.

Edited by strickj

If you get it, just pay it. Fighting it won't do much good.

I remember my last ticket was by a state trooper of in Camden. I had passed a logging truck that was blowing debri everywhere and did exceed the speed limit while passing. The trooper come over the far hill just as i was pulling back into the lane. I tried to explain and he said, I would have to take it up with the Judge. When i got to court, the trooper wasn't there due to his baby being born. the judge said we either had to pay it or come back. Being the stubborn guy I am i plead not guilty and made the 45 minute trip a second time. Technically the judge wasn't supposed to do that but he did. When i came back I plead my case and the judge simply said did you exceed th speed limit, to which I replied yes and tried to explain why. He wouldn't even hear it, even though I pointed out (nicely, not belligerently BTW) that the TN driver manual said it was perfectly acceptable what I did. Long story short. Pay it and save the frustration of injustice for bigger fish. :rolleyes:

Funny how the concept of laws designed to serve us end up being served by us.:mad:

Guest sharpshooter01

I have never been busted by one, but I dislike those cameras. I would pay the fine and save the headache of going to court, who knows you might end up running another one going to court to fight the first one. :rolleyes:

I guess most of you know that the cameras are installed and maintained by a private company. They get their money from the tickets. In Jackson they get $30.05 from a $50 ticket and the city gets $19.95. As Stickj said, if your front tires are across the white line before it changes to red you are okay.

A close friend of mine loaned his car to his brother. The brother rolled through one and the ticket was sent to my friend. He disputed it as his brother still had the car and told them he wasnt the driver and that it couldnt have been him. He was given an Http:// link to a video of his car driving through the light. plus several still pics. He then paid the fine.

We have had a few folks fight them in Germantown- if they lose (most of them lose) they pay court costs. One guy claimed he had something like a $50,000 violin on the back seat and he was headed to play it at the symphony-- he was afraid it would be damaged if he stopped suddenly. Nice story, didn't get him out of it. Paid the fine and court costs.

And, as others have said, in Germantown they fine you if you cross the line after the light turns red. If you are in the intersection before, no harm, no foul.

Oh, and the Germantown judge who hears the red light cases was my defense attorney 10 years ago- he is a very smart man who served me quite well- I have a clean record, thank you very much. I wouldn't want to argue with that dude.

Edited by ZenDog
addendum
I'd say a .22LR would be sufficient, with proper shot placement, but a 12-gauge slug would make more of a statement.

What?

Oh, that wasn't the question?

:tough:

There was a guy in Knoxville shooting at the cameras with a .30-06, the camera company planned for that. They weren't out of commision for long.

ETA: And they caught the guy.

My wife got a $50 fine for turning right on red (she didnt come to a complete stop) She swore to me she stopped , Till we watched the video. She barely slowed down

Reminds me of the story of the guy that got a ticket for speeding by a photo cop (in another state). With the ticket came a photo of his car time stamped with his speed on it. He sent in a picture of $50 in the mail. The police sent him a picture of handcuffs.

No sure if it's a true story but it is good for a laugh.

You could fight the ticket but you will loose. You will then have to pay court cost on top of the ticket fee.

If you turn right at a red light you must stop for at least 3 seconds before turning. These cameras are really effective. I have even had to pay one myself. Sometimes it is better to lay low and stay out of sight.