Why?!? Would you shoot targets during deer seaon??

I was out hunting on my family's property this morning and around 10:30 a.m I hear these people on the adjacent property riding ATV and shooting like they're :love: crazy. It sounded like an Ar-15. The kids must have fired off 200-300 rounds, not to mention rapid firing and bump firing. But them shooting is not the problem. Them shooting the way they were DURING deer season is a HUGE problem! I mean it is common sense and courteous to know that you should not be making that kind of ruckus during season. So that ended my morning early and pissed me off! I talked to the neighbor across the street and she told me that the people's property where the noise was coming from were having people over for the holiday season.

Edited by war4peace
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it could work in your favor, might scare deer your way. A few years back the next door neighbors son was driving his jeep around the ridge road and scared several deer my way one being a spike which I killed. He wasn't shooting and I don't know how close these people were to you. Not really much you can do anyway which sucks it is their property.

Guest eyebedam

No but some folks could care less or even pay attention to which season it is. I'd rather shoot targets or beer cans than a animal but that's just me. I don't have a problem with hunting but if I'm on my property & I wanna shoot that's what I'm gonna do. Find somewhere else to hunt. If they are target shooting on their own property then you really can't say alot.

Edited by eyebedam
kind of funny to read about people complaining about legal gun fire coming from private property on a gun forum. just saying...

QFT.

I would suggest talk to the neighbors and work out some schedule that allows you to hunt and them to shoot.

Yah. As someone who doesn't hunt, I don't think it would have even crossed my mind if I hadn't read this thread...

kind of funny to read about people complaining about legal gun fire coming from private property on a gun forum. just saying...

I would suggest talk to the neighbors and work out some schedule that allows you to hunt and them to shoot.

+1.

I've done shooting on my own property before. But since I'm not a hunter (although I'd like to learn, someday), I have no idea when deer/duck/turkey season begins and ends, nor where, exactly, people go to do it.

If I were in your position, I'd go over there and tell the neighbors to do that stuff every day, so the deer get used to it. After a while, you might be able to bag two or three together, before they realize those big booming sounds are meant for them.

Guest bkelm18

As crimson said, I don't hunt, so count me in as totally oblivious to deer season, its possible they are too. Just go talk to them and you never know, they may be totally understanding and willing to work something out.

Meh. I dont hunt either and dont pay attention to what season it is. If i go out to the mountain to my private property and let loose a volley then... well it just sucks to be whoever is in the immediate vicinity. Sounds selfish perhaps but.. eh. Such is life.

Target shooting is my sport just like killing animals is yours.

Edited by sling

alot of people dont hunt, so they dont know they are disturbing people. i went shooting with the family yesterday, as we all get together this time of year for the holidays.

with as much anti-gun stuff that is out there...i wouldnt condemn anyone for any type of legal shooting activities, as long as all was done in safety...

Guest canynracer
No but some folks could care less or even pay attention to which season it is. I'd rather shoot targets or beer cans than a animal but that's just me. I don't have a problem with hunting but if I'm on my property & I wanna shoot that's what I'm gonna do. Find somewhere else to hunt. If they are target shooting on their own property then you really can't say alot.
+1

+2

Target shooting my is my sport just like killing animals is yours.

+3

I am gonna learn to hunt...but that doesnt change the fact that if I wanna shoot, I should be able to shoot.

At one time I used to shoot silhouettes (small bore and large bore) and any time the weather permitted was an opportunity for extra range time. I don't hunt anymore but I understand your problem. But at least they are on their property. I don't know how many times I would go out to shoot and find a uninvited hunter on my property.

My thoughts exactly. If I want to legally shoot on my property, that's what I am going to do, regardless of seasons or anything else.... :D

Guest Schwarzgebrannt

Like the earlier poster said, ask them to do it regularly and desensitize the deer. Also, people will do make all sort of concessions happily in exchange for free deer meat. :D

IMHO.....I wouldn't say anything to the people doing the shooting. Trying to regulate what someone does on their own personal property, is a sure fire way of making an enemy. I would just chalk it up to life.

I once was hunting hunting close to our property line when the neighbors came out and and started busting clay, about 100 yards away. I was pissed, but what could I do...nothing. Because you can bet if I was on my land and doing nothing illegal and someone came over and told or asked me to stop...then I would have even a better reason just to keep at what I was doing. Or even wanted to discuss when I should be out there shooting, I when have to inform them to :D off.

But I aint friendly when it comes to being told what to do.

Just my :bowrofl:

During Thanksgiving I was in Illinois. My brother and I decided to shoot off some old ammo on our 9mm's and bust the rust off my dad's old pump 12 gauge.

My uncle has 88 acres a few miles from my parents so we headed over there. My uncle wasn't home, but we figured he wouldn't mind anyway. (He didn't). A little while later my a hunter that has permission from my uncle to hunt on his land showed up. Apparently he had intended to hunt that night, but decided not too after all the noise we had been making.

I only see my brother a couple of times a year so going shooting together is a way to have a lot of fun together. Way better than sitting at our parent's house watching TV. It may sound a little harsh, but me and brother spending several hours together while having a blast (pun intended) trumps the hunter missing out on 1 night of hunting.

I'm also glad we found someone competent at the gun shop that was aware that out of staters do NOT have to have a FOID card to buy ammo.

War4,

You would not bellive the deer that lived around the gun range were I used to live.

There was a doe run accross the Unaka gun range when I was shooting about 3 weeks ago.

"SHUT UP AND HUNT"

Not directed directly.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I have come to the conclusion that i was simply just irritated that morning. It is indeed the holidays and if people and their family want to get together and shoot then so be it :poop:. It is their property and they have every right to shoot just as I have every right to hunt on my property. After all this is America :P. Happy Holidays

I also would suggest take over a roll of deer sausage. Explain your plight and I bet they would work with you.

Lots of posts here about how it is "my property and I will do what I want". Not a good way to develop a relationship with the neighbors.

I shoot here at home almost every week. If one of my neighbors came over and asked nicely for me to curtail it on a certain day or at a certain time I would work with them. Especially so if they came offering some deer sausage, :mad:

you get more flies with honey!

Lots of posts here about how it is "my property and I will do what I want". Not a good way to develop a relationship with the neighbors.

quote]

This isn't the stance that we are saying the OP would be taking...he would be the one wanting someone to work with him. The other property owner would be the one most likely to take this stance.....I know I would.

you get more flies with honey!

Meh. I hate my neighbors. We got into a fight once over something when i was younger and i punched him. He leaves me alone now.