Broken XDm

DWARREN123

A heads up people.

Today my XDm in 40 S&W broke. I was at the range and had fired one mag, reloaded and fired one round when my trigger failed to reset. Looked at the gun and it looks like the safety trigger within the main trigger had broken where it goes into the frame area.

I have already called Springfield and they are sending me a shipping label by e-mail.

The CSR was Mitch and seemed nice.

I have only had this pistol since August 23d of this year, I like the pistol but now my trust in it has gone out the window.

Will have to recertifiy it to my standards once I get it back, hopefully soon after sending it in.:P

UPDATE:

Sent it to Springfield on the afternoon of 12/19/08, got it back today 01/02/09 and the repair paper said they replaced the trigger bar. Works as good or maybe even a little better now.

Edited by DWARREN123
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I'm not sure why your trust in the firearm has gone out the window. If you blow a tire on your car, do you park the car and never drive it again, or do you replace the offending part and continue to enjoy it?

Guns are mechanical objects. Anything mechanical will have problems; sometimes the problems crop up quickly, other times it takes years for them to appear. I'd say that if Springfield fixes it and makes it right, shoot a few hundred rounds through it at the range upon it's return and let that re-establish your confidence.

I've just decided that it's all a crapshoot when it come to reliability. In three years I've had four guns crap out on me. One of those occasions was due to bad ammo (stay away from Ultramax!) but the rest were pure mechanical breakdown. The latest event was the firing pin on my S&W 629 breaking. It has now been fixed and I'm happy, but I will never say that a gun is 100% reliable. However, I'm not afraid to carry any of my guns either, once the problem has been fixed.

You just can never predict when something is going to go wrong with a mechanical object. That's why you need to carry 2 or more guns, right! :P

But seriously, let us know how Springfield does with your piece. Smith treated me very well with my recent service, and I expect you'll get the same.

You do still have your Glocks, right? I remember you were condensing down to one caliber, but you have a few different guns in .40 to hold you over for now, right? Just curious, later!

Guest VolGrad
I'm not sure why your trust in the firearm has gone out the window. If you blow a tire on your car, do you park the car and never drive it again, or do you replace the offending part and continue to enjoy it?

Good analogy.

I've just decided that it's all a crapshoot when it come to reliability. In three years I've had four guns crap out on me. One of those occasions was due to bad ammo (stay away from Ultramax!) but the rest were pure mechanical breakdown. The latest event was the firing pin on my S&W 629 breaking. It has now been fixed and I'm happy, but I will never say that a gun is 100% reliable. However, I'm not afraid to carry any of my guns either, once the problem has been fixed.

You just can never predict when something is going to go wrong with a mechanical object. That's why you need to carry 2 or more guns, right! :D

But seriously, let us know how Springfield does with your piece. Smith treated me very well with my recent service, and I expect you'll get the same.

You do still have your Glocks, right? I remember you were condensing down to one caliber, but you have a few different guns in .40 to hold you over for now, right? Just curious, later!

I thought revolvers never have issues and go bang everytime!:D Seriously, keep us posted and I wouldn't assume the XDm is a bad piece. As has been said everything mechanical has or will break. The only issues I would be worried about are FTF/FTE because those tend to be tolerance issues. Mechanical failures are usually due to anomalies in the manufacturing process. Unless they are from Bryco or something of inferior material and workmanship.

It is the first breakage I have had and I have had many handguns.

I have just got back from delivering it to the FEDEX center so I hope it will not take long.

The reason I have doubts about it now is that a car has more than one tire this handgun only has one trigger and it is my everything gun to include CCW and if it had broken when I had needed it I could have been in a bad position.

It's not a car it's a gun which, to me, has a few different standards.

It is the first breakage I have had and I have had many handguns.

I have just got back from delivering it to the FEDEX center so I hope it will not take long.

The reason I have doubts about it now is that a car has more than one tire this handgun only has one trigger and it is my everything gun to include CCW and if it had broken when I had needed it I could have been in a bad position.

It's not a car it's a gun which, to me, has a few different standards.

Not to sound neg but after its fixed I'd run a crap load through it. Just like the tire analogy once a tire is patched up you always have that uncertain feeling while driving on it.

Yes, I understand. It would always be in the back of my mind as well. However, the XD apparently has been a very reliable gun for MANY so that has to count for something.

Yes, I understand. It would always be in the back of my mind as well. However, the XD apparently has been a very reliable gun for MANY so that has to count for something.

I know the XDM is the newest of the line, but I've spent a good while perusing XDtalk.com, and have never seen that issue mentioned. Just did a couple of searches there, and a general google, and found nothing pertinent.

Surely must be extremely rare occurrence, given the XD's overall record of durability.

- OS

Guest Astra900

:D happens.

It's nothing that should shake your trust in the gun.

Look at it this way, it's a good excuse to shoot it more than you normally would, cause now you have to verify that they fixed it right:tough:

I know the XDM is the newest of the line, but I've spent a good while perusing XDtalk.com, and have never seen that issue mentioned. Just did a couple of searches there, and a general google, and found nothing pertinent.

Surely must be extremely rare occurrence, given the XD's overall record of durability.

- OS

I looked as well over at XDtalk, they have a specific group for XDm's. Nothing, but I didn't have much time.

Hopefully it is just a fluke.

• 2 weeks later...

A tire on a car is a bad analogy. If a backstrap broke, yeah compare that to a tire. The trigger failing is like the throttle cable/linkage breaking. Is the replacement part going to last or fail? Who knows. Lost faith is totally understandable, but giving the repaired product a second chance with a lot of use is also a must. The OP's full comments seem fair to me.

Guest nosnos

Dang. Way to immediately ruin the fun of MY new XDm post. ;)

Oh well... Don't .40's always seem to have weird problems? Not to start some sort of fight (but it DOES seem that some of the weirder problems happen to .40 pistols), just trying to make myself feel good about my XDm 9mm again.

I mean, I feel fine about it. I agree that it seems to be a fluke. I did a LOT of research before buying mine and didn't see any pattern of unreliability... yet..... :D

Guest eyebedam
Dang. Way to immediately ruin the fun of MY new XDm post. ;)

Oh well... Don't .40's always seem to have weird problems? Not to start some sort of fight (but it DOES seem that some of the weirder problems happen to .40 pistols), just trying to make myself feel good about my XDm 9mm again.

I mean, I feel fine about it. I agree that it seems to be a fluke. I did a LOT of research before buying mine and didn't see any pattern of unreliability... yet..... :D

Well considering this original post was made on 12-19 there shouldnt be anything for you to worry about.

I had a lot of guns and bigest problems I had, I had with my Kimbers and the worst was Ruger KP345 , that was the biggest junk I ever had...gun is mechanical tool and there is always a chance for something to fail or break...

Db

I also had XD40 and not a single problem with it...