1950's Remington 12ga

My dad is thinking about parting with his shotgun to fund another purchase and I have no idea where to start on value. Its a 1958 Remington 878 Automaster 12 ga. It is pretty much flawless and hasn't been shot very much. I really would like to  hang on to it but he really wants to sell. Any idea best place for me to look up the value?

47 minutes ago, MudBugjr said:

My dad is thinking about parting with his shotgun to fund another purchase and I have no idea where to start on value. Its a 1958 Remington 878 Automaster 12 ga. It is pretty much flawless and hasn't been shot very much. I really would like to  hang on to it but he really wants to sell. Any idea best place for me to look up the value?

It has been a couple of years since I have seen one in good condition, but they were selling in the $300-400 range.  The last couple I have seen were pretty beat up, and they were asking $200-250.  A lot of the value depends on the configuration - barrel length and choke.  

I usually search GunBroker and ArmsList. Look for several in a similar condition/configuration and get an idea of the prices. It's not perfect because sometimes all you see are "Buy Now" prices and you won't know if anyone actually is willing to pay that or not.

If you use Gunbroker use the advanced search.  You have to log in but then you can select to search for just completed auctions.  That way you can see what the guns actually sold for instead of just what people are asking.

• Like 1

Thanks didn't know I could do that on gunbroker. I have an account never knew you could. The gun has a 26" barrel and is almost perfect almost looks like you just pulled it off a rack at the store. He had someone years ago tell him $500 but i figured probably $350ish range myself. I hate to see it sold. 

Looks like they have been selling between 200-300 on Gunbroker.  One did sell for 505 but it had an engraved receiver and was in really good condition.

What it is choked will also be  a factor in what it brings.  Would love to see some pics of it.