Darwin award candidate

Guest GUTTERbOY

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I do feel bad for this woman I think it is a sample of a larger problem, it is about the only reason I could see her dialing 9-1-1 instead of getting out. As to why she didn't get out when they told her too...who knows. But I can just about see it now when the tape comes out...her telling the dispatcher to stop the train over and over.

The problems is the citizenry in general thinks if the dial the magic number (9-1-1) all problems will be solved instantly and that just is not the case.

I am by no means saying don't call 9-1-1 and yes, you should expect an appropriate level of professional help from them and those that respond, but there is no way they can instantly solve all problems.

Guest GUTTERbOY
While I do feel bad for this woman I think it is a sample of a larger problem, it is about the only reason I could see her dialing 9-1-1 instead of getting out. As to why she didn't get out when they told her too...who knows. But I can just about see it now when the tape comes out...her telling the dispatcher to stop the train over and over.

The problems is the citizenry in general thinks if the dial the magic number (9-1-1) all problems will be solved instantly and that just is not the case.

I am by no means saying don't call 9-1-1 and yes, you should expect an appropriate level of professional help from them and those that respond, but there is no way they can instantly solve all problems.

The feeling I got from the article was that there possibly wasn't enough time for her to get out even after the dispatcher told her to do so. Sounds like the whole thing happened really fast.

I think you're right on the dot. Instead of taking immediate action to rectify a situation, she called the magic number. It's a sort of symptom; surrender initiative to the authorities, they'll know what to do.

Like you said, the point is not that one shouldn't call 911 in an emergency; but that sometimes a situation requires more immediate action.

Guest jackdog

Come on guys. Ever here of panic or memory loss. Do we know the shape this woman was in physically or mentally. To throw this lady on the bus of a darwin candidate is pretty crappy from where I sit. Natural selection my ass.

Guest GUTTERbOY

Physical and/or mental issues don't change the reality of the situation. And that reality is that if you're stuck on railroad tracks and a train is approaching, calling 911 is not going to do anything to rectify the situation. The only people that might be able to save your butt will be the ones already on the scene.

1) Woman's car gets stuck on railroad tracks, while train is coming

2) Rather than, say, getting out of the car, woman calls 911

3) Dispatcher urges woman to GET OUT OF THE FRACKING CAR

4) Train hits car

5) Woman dies

SHEOPLE - Is there anything that they think the government can't provide for them? :lol:

Guest Astra900
Natural selection my ass.

How do you figure?

The old, the weak, the slow, the "less intelligent"; They just don't survive in nature. Cold reality. If it were a member of my family, I would certainly be upset, but I would also say in all truthfulness; She shoulda got out of the car and took a walk, run, crawl, stop drop and roll even! Many things in life that are true have a very bitter taste.

Guest jackdog

okay I might go with natural selection. As far as her mental or physical state not being in play I totally disagree, unless we know what both of those states are. Example was she some how handy capped.

Guest Astra900

If you got enough motorskill to drive a car, then when you hear the bells dingin' and lights a flashin'......You crawl your happy butt to the other side of the track! How long does the bell ring before the train actually gets there? Atleast 30-45 seconds. A blind quadriplegic monkey can get out of dodge by then.

There's something missing from the story. Surely no one...... Naaah I ain't even going to say it.