Some basic math... reloading a 45ACP

• Administrator

I did some basic math today to figure out what the return on investment would be to reload my own .45ACP ammo.

For these figures I used the following items:

• Hornaday 185gr JHP bullets ($16 per 100)
  • Starline .45acp brass ($15 per 100)
  • CCI primers ($20 per 1000)
  • Accurate No.5 powder ($15 per 1lb)

Assuming that the Hornaday 185gr bullet needs a 10.2 grain charge, you're looking at roughly $0.02 worth of powder for every cartridge.

This means that the first batch of cartridges will cost you right at $0.35 per cartridge or $35.00 per 100 rounds.

If you collect and reuse your brass, subsequent cartridges will only cost around $0.19 each or $19.00 per 100 rounds.

Figure that Winchester White Box FMJ target ammo is around $28.00 per 100 rounds at Wal-Mart, you would realize a savings of $9.00 per subsequent batch of reloads.

Now assume that it costs you $800 to put together a good reloading bench, that means it would take you roughly 89 batches of 100 rounds each to recoup the cost of your reloading setup. If you only shot 200 rounds per visit to the range and visited once a week, four times a month, you could conceivable pay for the reloading setup in just over 11 months.

That's a hell of a lot of shooting. :devil:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

I should also mention that every article that I've read so far about reloading says that you want to do it in an environment completely free of any distractions. No TV, no radio, no other people talking to you. Just you and 100% of your attention on reloading so that you can minimize goof-ups like double charging a round.

It sounds like someone like me ought to stick to buying cheap target ammo and let other folks reload. :devil:

Guest Jason F.

I used to reload but the only way I made it work was with my roomate and I both doing it and splitting costs. We shared the equipment costs and setup. He loaded custom rifle rounds for our long range rifle shooting and I reloaded our handgun ammo. I started with loading 9mm and 45 acp. I quit reloading the 9mm because it was just not cost effective for my time and materials.

For match grade custom target stuff it is certainly worth the effort in my book. For bulk range time and what not I think it is better to use the money spent on spent on loading equipment to buy rounds in bulk at the best deal you can find.

Heck, if they have 2 extra cases at that price holler at me........seriously. Im an Ammo whore. Im now buying up all the .45 blazer brass my wallyworld gets in every 2 weeks.

Damn if they arent $22.27

He said he only had 6-8 boxes left......He asked me how much they were here, I told him 27 bucks a box...he said no sht

I said its up all across the board in this region, and he said it would only be a matter of days or weeks before it was up there.

So I just want you lucky bastages in middle tn to buy up whatever you can afford to right now, because youre fixin to kick yourselves in the azz if you dont;)

You can reload the blazer brass, and its still pretty reasonable here, thats why Im buying just about all they have whenever they get some in locally.

The wife kinda tripped out when I first started stockpilng, but shes seen AMMO go up 4 times in the last 12 months........she now doesnt mind the close to 20,000 rounds of 9mm and .45 in the safes..lol

Now all I need is about 100,000 primers and Ill be set for a while!:D

Yea, I was refering to the aluminum cased ammo.

And holy balls, that's a lot of ammo :D

I just want enough to last a while cause I know with things going the way they are Im not gonna be able to afford to buy much of it.....hence my interest in reloading :D

I like reloading 45 acp because i can reload RNL, FMJ, JHP, in any over all length I know works best in my personal gun.

Also you get the freedom to load plinking ammo thru full house smokers. Just alot of ways to go in 45acp. I personally dont like having to live with whats in the store.

Factory ammo has its place for sure and I buy some special purpose ammo in the stores from time to time.

Once you get over the initial cost of the major components of the reloading set-up its nice to crank out a big batch of reloads for less money than factory fodder.

I should also mention that every article that I've read so far about reloading says that you want to do it in an environment completely free of any distractions. No TV, no radio, no other people talking to you. Just you and 100% of your attention on reloading so that you can minimize goof-ups like double charging a round.

It sounds like someone like me ought to stick to buying cheap target ammo and let other folks reload. ;)

Reloading is theraputic for me. I get much enjoyment out of it and take my time. I generally weigh every charge. I throw a charge with my charge thrower then dump it into my scale, even though my thrower is accurate, I still won't fully put my trust in it. Yes, this is time consuming, but I am not in a race when I reload. I have a 3 yr old, so some distractions cannot be avoided. Weighing every charge gives me more peace of mind, but also is an added control to keep from double charging.

• 3 weeks later...

My math is a little different than what we began with in this thread.

I can use 200 SWC plated at around .08 each, .02 for the primers, average your brass cost over 8 loadings at around .02 each shot and I use mostly quicker burning powders like Bullseye, WW231 at around 5.0 grains at a cost of 17.00 a pound so that is .012 per round. Add all that up and a hundred rounds cost me $13.20. When I have time to cast my own I eliminate the .08 and cut my costs further, though I currently do not have that sort of time now. I use a Dillon 550B which I have had for many years and plan on keeping for life so my initial investment has paid for itself many times. I also find reloading fun, educational, enlightening and freeing. I get a lot of brass free from guys who don't reload and that cuts my costs further. It does'nt hurt that I have two five gallon buckets full of brass from when I use to have a range :eek:.

I would recommend reloading to everyone for one other important reason. FREEDOM. Right now, if somehow ammo supplies were cut off, I can produce a huge quantity of quality ammo in many calibers and if I stay stocked in primers/powders (I always try to stay ahead) nobody can cut me off.

• 2 months later...
Guest Chemsoldier

Try buying in quantity. I purchase my bullets in lots of 5000 (lord that is heavy) and powder in 8 pound containers. Tightgroup is a good low volume powder, a little goes a long way. Good for range fodder.

• Administrator

I've heard good things about Tightgroup powder. I think after I get some things settled down in my world, I may start reloading. I'd like to be able to load both 45acp and 40SW so that I can tweak the power level for competitive shooting. :rofl:

I have a lot of 45 autos and I didn't have any luck with Titegroup. I use a lot of WW231, have for years, because it also works well in 38 special and 9mm. If someone has a good 45acp load with Titegroup I hope you will share it...I still have a lot left.

Guest SpiderJohn

Broadside,

My last loads of .45ACP have run $6.46 a box after tax. There are cheaper places to find brass. I run a Tennessee Valley 230 grain round nose lead on top of 5.5 grains Titegroup. I am getting 850fps from a 5" barrel.

Stones River Hunter Education Range Safety Officer Association sells the collected brass for a resonable charge. You might check with them. I would hate to think of buying first run starline brass for an autoloader like a .45ACP. You will almost never collect each casing when they get pitched all over the place.

I use Titegroup for 40 S&W also. Can't remember the charge off the top of my head.

• 1 month later...