2016 NRA - Carry Policy

I was looking at the carry policy at the 2016 NRA Convention and not sure what to make out of the language in the second paragraph.   The way I'm reading it, the (KEC), in which the main event floor is being held, isn't mentioned in the alcohol sales language so I'm assuming they don't offer it for sale so there shouldn't be an issue with carrying.    Is that how you take it?

Firearms Carry Policy

During the 2016 NRA Annual Meetings & Exhibits, lawfully carried firearms will be permitted at Annual Meeting venues including the Kentucky Exposition Center (KEC), KFC Yum! Center Arena, and Kentucky International Convention Center (KICC) in accordance with Kentucky law. Firearms and knives will be prohibited in any areas temporarily under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Secret Service. When carrying your firearm, please remember to follow all federal, state and local laws.

Please note that under Kentucky law, concealed firearms are prohibited in areas primarily devoted to dispensing alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, and loaded firearms are prohibited in any room where alcoholic beverages are being sold by the drink. Alcoholic beverages will be served at some events at the Kentucky International Convention Center (KICC), in certain areas of the KFC Yum! Center Arena, and in some smaller venues.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I read it, if there is a room at the KEC where they are serving alcohol by the drink, then you can't be in that room.  Otherwise you are ok.  The KEC certainly isn't devoted to serving alcoholic drinks, so as a whole it isn't off limits.  I am pretty sure using the term "devoted" is just a way to say Bars in a more encompassing way so someone can't say they are a lounge to get around being a bar, etc.  

Edited by Hozzie

It says "area primarily devoted to", so it doesn't have to be a separate room. Think of places like O'Charley's or Logan's. The KY law makes it so you can conceal carry in the restaurant, but not in the bar area of the restaurant. If the KEC has a food and beverage area primarily dedicated to alcohol (let's say there's a Budwieser food stand shucking bratwurst but everyone knows it's primarily a beer stand) then only that area would be off limits for conceal carry. That's the way I understand KY law.

Do I recall correctly that KY is an open-carry w/o permit state so the alcohol thing would only apply to concealed carry? One could still open carry in those areas?

Don't forget about the Secret Service notice in the NRA announcement. If anyone's attending the NRA-ILA meeting, that will be off limits for carrying because Mr. Trump will be speaking and now has S.S. protection.

Edited by monkeylizard
3 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

Don't forget about the Secret Service notice in the NRA announcement. If anyone's attending the NRA-ILA meeting, that will be off limits for carrying because Mr. Trump will be speaking and now has S.S. protection.

So then I'm guessing he wouldn't be coming to the event floor otherwise they would have to call the whole thing off limits to carrying.