Carry certification

Superman

Do different classes make up there own requirements? When I was at the range yesterday, the guy that owned the place showed up with 7 people to shoot for there cert. I talked to him about it for a few minutes. IIRC, he said the state required shooting from 3,7, and 15 yards, or 3, 5, 7, and 15 yards, or something like that. But he added 10 yards for his class. A women that I worked with said the class she took had them shoot all the way back to 25 yards and had her shoot one handed, right and left.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

48 rounds minimum for the Qualification course. 70% required for pass.

12 rounds from 3 yards, 12 rounds from 7 yards, and 12 rounds from 15 yards. Mandated by TDOS.

12 (or more) rounds at Instructor's discretion.

We fire 48 rounds for record, unless there are 5 shot revolvers in the class, in which case we fire 50 rounds.

We spend some discretionary rounds at 10 yards, and we spend 6 on one handed shooting - 3 rounds one handed support hand and 3 rounds one handed strong hand....just to give students a little exposure to it.

Guest nraforlife
Do different classes make up there own requirements? When I was at the range yesterday, the guy that owned the place showed up with 7 people to shoot for there cert. I talked to him about it for a few minutes. IIRC, he said the state required shooting from 3,7, and 15 yards, or 3, 5, 7, and 15 yards, or something like that. But he added 10 yards for his class. A women that I worked with said the class she took had them shoot all the way back to 25 yards and had her shoot one handed, right and left.

Instructor macho BS!!

Guest bkelm18
Instructor macho BS!!

Or.... its their business and they can conduct it how they wish. If they feel the need to go beyond the state mandated minimums in the interests of learning and safety, more power to them.

unless there are 5 shot revolvers in the class, in which case we fire 50 rounds.

There was one 5-shot revolver in the group. It was kinda funny, reminded me of the movie Harlem Nights. Evrybody shooting all at once and then a pause, while the guy with the revolver loads 1 more round, and 1 more shot fired.

I talked to her again today, and she said it was about 12 years ago that she first got her permit. So was the requirements different then?

Edited by Superman
Guest pjblurton

TN HCP mandated course of fire

12 at the 3

12 at the 7

12 at the 15

last 12...instructor choice, but must be fired from somewhere between 2-25 yards

Is the target mandated as well?

Where I took mine, they used a standard sillouette target and I only had to keep 'em in the black, but I heard that Range USA uses a silouette with a box inside the sillouette and all hits must be in the box.

Anyone had any exposure with this?

It was my understanding that 70% accuracy or better was required.