Portable Reloading "Bench", thoughts/ideas welcome!

OK, it's not really a "Bench", more like a board, that I can clamp to a table or bench.... but we're in a rental house right now, so I don't have a workshop, or other permanent area I can setup a reloading table....

I took a piece of some 1" Maple I had, bolted a borrowed RCBS press to it, and made some cut-outs for ammo-boxes. I have multiple boxes like the one in the picture, figured that would be easiest when working on a batch of shells (can move from left to right through the press). I've got room for the scale, and may try getting a powder-measurer to simplify....

Any idea's or suggestions on modifications to make?

- K

CAM00131.jpg

• Like 1

You could always just make something like this: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/10/portable-bd-workmate-reloading-bench/

benchportablex200.jpg

Or just buy one: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000690688/Reloading-Stand-

006-90688.jpg

I got one of these so I could deprime my cases while watching TV.  Not much storage though so the DIY one is better for actual reloading.

Edited by Omega
  • Like 1
Sturdy counts for a lot starting with a nice thick plank is a good start. When you clamp it you may want to use blocks to help stiffness.

That looks like a good start. As you use it you will develop a system that works or you.

You could always just make something like this: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/10/portable-bd-workmate-reloading-bench/
benchportablex200.jpg

Or just buy one: http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0000690688/Reloading-Stand-

006-90688.jpg
I got one of these so I could deprime my cases while watching TV.  Not much storage though so the DIY one is better for actual reloading.

I have one of those Lee stands new I the box that I'd love to get rid of. If you decide to go that way I make it out your way fairly often, I spooks be glad to bring it to you.

Cost was a big factor in the 'setup', just don't have the cake these days, so I tried to use what was available. The wood was left-over from the big reef-tank I had back in NY. At this point I have almost all the bits and pieces needed to start reloading, just need some case lube and to clean up the brass. Plan on using Lemi-shine vs. buying a tumbling setup (again, $$$), got plenty of de-primed cases, they just need to be cleaned (or can I reload cartridges w/o cleaning them?)

Thanks for the idea's!

- K

If you're loading 9mm and using carbide dies you don't need case lube. Again if you have carbide dies you don't HAVE to clean the brass, but it helps you a bit with seeing the powder in the case etc. as well as there is some pride in good looking ammo.

Hmmm....

Hornady Custom Grade Dies. Titanium Nitride sez on the box...

Purdy brass? Bawhahahwhahahhahahahaaaa!

No, not a concern of mine!

Have to admit, I was curious if it was a requirement for the powder to burn properly? I mean, I can see the carbon/fouling add contamination, and I suppose _technically_ it reduces the volume inside the casing (so increased pressure?) but honestly, I mean, the thing's going to BANG, right?

- K

Edited by ReeferMac
With those dies you don't need lube.

I used to only tumble my brass every 3rd loading. It won't likely cause a change in pressure bease of reduce cas volume, more likely a small change due to increased friction between the bullet and case. It's unlikely it would be measurable with normal loads...

Rememberfollow the data and work up. With your M&P reliability is more important than max velocity.

Thanks Dude!

I'm not so concerned about the spec's on the ammo, just need cheaper target loads so I can go more often!

I will only carry commercial hollow-points for self-defense, even though I _did_ get my free box of 100 rds. from Hornady's rebate program on the die's. They were only 115gr. however, and I liked the performance of the 124gr. on the ballistics tests I saw.

I did end up getting a box of Berry's plated for reloading. I'll bring a handful if I end up seeing you on Sat.!

Thanks again.

- K