What size should I build my range?

I know the answer should be "the bigger the better" but in this case I want to build it big enough but no more than that. Sounds crazy right?

My current plan is to build it 20 yards wide and 30 yards deep. The deeper I make it the closer it will be to my driveway and I'd like a little space between the back berm and the drive.

Can anyone give me an idea of a normal distance of an outdoor pistol bay? Should be big enough to setup some good IDPA stages at this size. I walked the width distance off at a local range and it was roughly 18 or 19 yards but I neglected to walk the depth.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most full size indoor ranges I've been to are about 20-25 yards. One in Gallatin was more like 15 feet. I generally pistol shoot in the 7-15 yard range myself. I don't like shooting ARs any shorter than about 20 yards, and then it's mostly at soda cans or other reactive targets. I don't shoot paper with long guns until at least 50 yds. Edited by musicman
I'll be able to back up for at least 150 yards or more from the back berm to shoot or sight in rifles. I actually have a longer 30 acre field to shoot rifle in as well. I'm mainly talking about the side berm depth to shoot handgun into at a 45 degree angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I setup a 50 yard range to shoot my handguns and do any load workups on in a valley surrounded by hills.  I can also zero my rifles at shorter ranges such as 26 yards for my .308, 50 yards for my iron sights for my ARs etc then shoot at 100 yards, hill to hill accross my normal shooting range,  to see where it's hitting.  100 yards or so is probably the max I can safely shoot target, maybe 150 yards or so for game.

Totally jealous of all you! What a dillema to have.

My wife has a "10 minutes from Target rule", so I will probably never have a backyard range.

Well, don't count me in.  My shooting range is about 30 minutes from my house.  Its about 8 acres only and all I can do is hunt and shoot there, maybe plant an acre or two on some of the flatter terrain.