TWRA Area Use -- Mainly about Riding in the Areas (MC Ride)

Guest PAULSHOOT

Guest PAULSHOOT

I have ridden MC in a couple areas (TWRA areas) in East TN (Catoosa and Chuck Swan) and got to wondering if I was legal on a ride last TUE (April 19). Anyway, started researching and came to a conclusion after several inputs.  

By The Way -- I used some web sites might be interested in:

There are words regarding access restrictions to hunters during hunts (like we had sign Turkey Hunters only at Catoosa). I see nothing regarding a Road Permit as matter of fact it seems to be a tourist attraction for wildlife watching. 

Anyway, I went a step further.

which led to this list of licenses https://www1.tn.wildlifelicense.com/selection.php

Very confusing - so I called them at 1615 781 6500.

FINAL Decision for me.
I should be legal to ride in TWRA (Wildlife Management Areas) and hunt small game in WMA now. I went to WALMART (guns) and bought the 093 Small Game ($21 - would have been $23 on Internet if you printed it yourself and $24.73 if they mailed it to you). BY THE WAY --  I all ready had TN Senior Lifetime  Hunt and Fish (After 65 Yrs Old It is $11 now --  I have had it 10 or 12 years and not sure what I paid then).  

By the way -- Only Deer, Turkey, Beer (whoops) Bear Hunters can be in those areas during the season. Catoosa was posted TUE as Turkey Hunters Only. 

DRAW YOUR OWN CONCLUSION is my advice. Hunter we met TUE on a ride said fine is $200 if illegal.

Here are inputs I received from TWRA , WALMART, and a few responses from Riders E Mail List: 

TWRA lady said I need 093 Small Game to ride in Catoosa. I think because I told her I ride there on a MC, she thought I meant on trails, etc. off the main road. However, I did mention only used the Main Road, but think she did not pick up on that OR, just wanted to get some more money for TWRA (licenses, etc. is their source of revenue). She also mentioned I would need at Royal Blue.

WALMART guy seemed knowledgeable and has been selling hunting licenses and permits for 20 years said You DO NOT need 093 Small Game to ride MAIN ROAD thru Catoosa, but need 093 if go off the Main Road onto trails (ATV, etc.). He said also need 093 at Royal Blue.

Chuck Swan Area??  (Is in TN State Forest and is TWRA as far as I know) and was mentioned by me during conversations with TWRA and WALMART. To tell the truth, not sure what either one said specifically about needs for Chuck Swan Area. 

Anyway, I THINK the WALMART guy (combined with what the TWRA Lady said) has it right.

I went ahead and bought the 093 Small Game thinking I might want to look at some off the Main Road trail or other road (be legal) and might even want to take rifle to squirrel hunt sometime. Not doing any trails like the one we did TUE.

Betty said, SHE IS  NOT MESSING with any squirrel fixing, she had enough of it as a child on a farm. HA! Guess, If I want squirrel meat - have to fix it myself. That is if I can hit one with a 22 rifle as use to use a shotgun and pick pellets out.  (really don't care if I hit one or not - just enjoy the hunt of sitting under a  tree). :-)  

Also, had a few inputs from folks on E Mail List. Arthur, Lynn, Dick, Mike. Basically, I think they have it mostly right.  

FROM Mike:

Paul,
I have a little past experience with Royal Blue WMA. For full access to all roads/trails, one needed either a riding permit or valid hunting licence(even if just riding) for that particular WMA. Back in my trail riding days the small game license+ $10 Royal Blue permit was cheaper than their riding permit. Only time I ever saw someone riding get checked for a permit was when rules were being violated.
     Hunters sometimes resent a rider, so his guidance may have been biased. I hope your shoulder is ok from the get off. Some of those puddles are worse than they appear. Mike.

FROM Dick:

Ranger at Chuck said that if you are not street legal stay off the Main Road. lots of 4 wheelers ride Chuck.
( I add --- that sounds a bit different than the others - like you don't need any permit, but need to be street legal on Main Road only. I am not sure how you would  get to ATV trails, etc. without getting on the  main road). 
Catoosa maintenance man said that we needed fishing and small game stamp to ride roads on motorcycle. He said it didn't matter if I was street legal.  Called Catoosa Law Enforcement: said that street legal can ride gravel roads through, needed stamps if we were going off gravel roads to dirt roads like a hunter would to retrieve game.
FROM Lynn:

We had several E Mail exchanges. Summary I thinks is Lynn did not think needed any Small Game (093) in Catoosa if on Main Road. He did add at end that might need 093 if going off road, but he was still confused. 

FROM Bob:
You shouldn't need any permit to ride through on the roads except during hunting season.  However, if you ride the trails with a 4 wheeler or other ATV, you'd need a permit.  They do limit access during hunting season but that's the only time I'm aware of if you stay on the gravel roads.  There is not signs requiring a special permit to ride the roads posted either.

I responded to that input.
Bob came back with this.

Those are public roads.  There was confusion concerning ATV's at one time but I was never aware of any licensed public road vehicle restrictions except during hunting season and you only need the hunting license to bypass that restriction unless it is a drawn hunt.  I wouldn't worry about it unless I departed the public road.
Edited by PAULSHOOT
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PAULSHOOT

Yes, for information  MC is abbreviation for Motorcycle (or I also ride a large scooter). 

I don't know much about big game license or special permits or where you get them -- but, I would advise there is info on the TWRA web sites about special licenses. Or,  a phone call to 1 615 781 6500 may be helpful. However, in my case I think the answer I got about Catoosa riding was off perhaps because I mentioned MC and the lady thought I was wanting to do trails off the  main road. So, she said I would need the 093 Small Game License. Places like WALMART or others that sell licenses may give you answers or information (quality depends on knowledge of the person working there).

I THINK those trials are mainly for hunters to reach hunting areas and retrieve game they kill.   

I found the search for information very confusing (about like the IRS Forms and Instructions).  

Guest PAULSHOOT

UPDATE -- Groan

I made another call to 1 615 781 6500 (TWRA) trying to clarify what I thought about Catoosa and being able to ride thru main road with licensed vehicle (Car, MC, etc.) with no additional permits. I also brought up Chuck Swan and Royal Blue (by the way Royal Blue shows up under North Cumberland i n other documentation that the lady  was looking up (Hunter's Guide). 

This was a different lady and she was not sure about being able to ride thru there on main road with only a licensed vehicle and no other permits. Actually, she said that was more under individual WMA areas rules. DANG, I thought it was all the same (TWRA and WMA).

Anyway, she looked up some information and I asked where she was looking. She was looking under Hunter's Guide. 

She did read to me a part about Chuck Swan -- Horses, Bicycles, ATVs, ORVs, UNLICENSED Vehicles, prohibited on Main Road defined as From Game Check Point (I think from entrance to C S) to Jct with Back Valley / Fork River / Big Loop (I recognize some of those names from the GPS route Jackie and I used when we did the 40 miles in there). 

She also gave me phone numbers of the managers of Catoosa 931 456 2497, Chuck Swan 865 278 3248, and Royal Blue (North Cumberland) 423 562 2013 to call. I called  - no answer of first one and got voice mail and left MSG on the other two. 

Then I searched Hunter's Guide on GOOGLE and ended up with this web site.   

It is a PDF file and I downloaded  it, but have only looked at the original on the URL address. 

Believe me it is LONG (like 76 pages to scroll thru) which includes a lot of advertisement. Takes a while to figure it out. Contains hunting seasons, type equipment that can be used (rifle, shotgun, archery, ammo, etc.), information on each WMA Area, shooting range, etc. In other words, more Information than you can absorb (at least for my feeble brain). 

There are sections for the 4 Regions of WMA (we are Region 4, E TN, which is near the end of the web - like PAGE 66 shows our map and WMA locations). 

EXAMPLE -- Chuck Swan (403 on  the map) starts at Page 66 and carries over to Page 67. The opening paragraph is apparently what the lady was reading from about road use - I tried to copy and past that here, but it will not let me. My conclusion is you can ride any vehicle in there, but only licensed vehicle on the Main Road (maybe because it is a logging area - TN State Forest - and not just a hunting area. 

Anyway -- if inclined to learn more go to the web site (.PDF File) and look thru it.    

Guest PAULSHOOT

I think you need to re-read the part I quoted, particularly the bold part.  :)

OK  :wall:   I get it Beer or Bear ( I corrected ). :-)  Might be wise to not go in there when Beer Hunters are there also.