AR Accessories Thoughts

GlockSpock

• Moderators

So, my predicament. I purchased a Colt 6920 a few years back, this was before they started issuing MagPul furniture on them. I ended up sticking a MagPul MOE handguard on it, BAD Lever, and that's it.

Fast forward to yesterday. I realized that "M-LOK" and "Keymod" are developing and competing standards. I did not realize that these were standards across the board that were fighting to replace picatinny rails.

My older handguard is MOE but not M-LOK. I have been looking at slings, foreends, etc. I thought I decided to purchase the foreend and vertical grip today locally, but then I made the mistake of seeing a new 6920 with MagPul furniture. I think I can nearly come out even if I sell the rifle I have and purchase the new one the way I was going to fix up the other one. I may be out a little $ but it comes with the MagPul stock, grip (front and rear), handguard, and backup sights.

My plans are to place a Surefire light on the 2-3' position, AFG or VFG at 6' obviously, and tapeswitch (for the light) at the 9-10' position. I think I may give a QD sling mount a try either in front of or behind the tapeswitch, whichever works better.

My "old" 6920 comes with the removable carry handle and I think I could dig up the original handguards for it. I would probably leave the BAD lever on it.

Who knows, I might pop it up for sale on here tonight. My questions:

1) Used value for a very nice condition 6920 with probably no more than 500 rounds through it, maybe less.

2) M-LOK, I like it, some people seem to think Keymod is better. Thoughts?

3) I like to keep things simple but that being said, it's an AR. It is begged to be decorated a bit. Nothing mall ninja but only functional stuff. I think I like the idea of this M-LOK VFG:

https://www.magpul.com/products/m-lok-mvg-vertical-grip (I am 99% sure that this is what some of the "new" 6920's come with)

But may like the angled foregrips/handstops better. Magpul has quite the selection of options for these.

https://www.magpul.com/products/m-lok-afg

https://www.magpul.com/products/m-lok-hand-stop-kit

Between the three, which would you do and why? (MVG / AFG / HSK)

As far as slings go, I think I may try the MS4 or comparible that MagPul makes. That way I could use it as a one or two point sling. I would use the M-LOK QD Sling Mount in the front:

https://www.magpul.com/products/m-lok-qd-sling-mount

And either the castle nut QD mount on the rear or one of the MagPul stocks with a QD point. I haven't decided yet.

https://www.magpul.com/products/asap-qd

For starters, I am 99% sure that the stock that comes with the "new" 6920 has one built in so I would probably try that first.

As for lights, I haven't decided as I have a few options. I could stick the X300 Ultra I have on my Glock on the AR and then get the XC1 for my Glock. Or I could purchase another X300 Ultra. Or I could get one of the scout series lights that they make. It's a toughie.

4) Are the newer 6920's the same as the older 6920's in terms of quality, specifications, etc?

Edited by CZ9MM
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding Mlok vs Keymod and lights. Personally I like the Mlok based off esthetics since the straight lines I think look better than industrial shelving holes. In other words it's cleaner looking. I would go with the Scout series lights and tape switch so you can get it out further than the Ultra. Plus I think by the time you set it up either way you'll be spending about equal money.

I like the MLOK system and have it on my AR-15 as well as my M&P 15-22.  I've never had Keymod so I can't compare it to that.  

My hand guard is an ALG V3.  It is very light and was inexpensive.  So far it has done what I need it to do with minimal issues.  It has a built in QD socket near the barrel nut, but the socket has become distorted from use with a QD adapter.  As such I now have a MLOK QD adapter installed on the front of the hand guard that works great in addition to a receiver end plate socket from Magpul.  

I like a Magpul grip and have used it for years.

I use a Magpul MS4 sling and I think it is okay.  I will be looking at other sling options in the future, but this is a low priority for me.   

I use an X300U on my AR-15 mounted at the 12 in front of my forward sight.  The one on my Glock can easily replace the one on my AR if it becomes damaged.  

I use a Magpul hand stop kit instead of a VFG or AFG which I have used and never really liked, maybe if I used a scout light at the 2 it would make more sense.

I have some of the MLOK slots on the hand guard blocked off because of blowback and heat from my gas block.  

And finally I have a suppressor from YHM that I highly recommend.  Below is a picture of my AR-15.  

IMG_5657%202_zpswbx6xccm.jpg

1. Used value hard to pin down exactly, but since you can buy a brand new 6920 Magpul edition for around $1000 (just checked gunbroker), I'd guess a few hundred less than that. Needs to be a big enough gap in price otherwise people will just buy a new one.

2. I think the MLOK system is starting to win out market share wise over keymod. Plus, Magpul lets other companies use MLOK for free, so they don't have to pay to use the the technology.

3. Grips are personal choice so just try them out. I personally prefer the AFG.

4. No idea on quality over the years. Maybe someone else can chime in.