Latest TGO Announcement

Guest RISC777

Guest RISC777

I, for one, do not want to see TGO go away. Tungsten has done a tremendous job of maintaining and administering this site. With the change in his employment situation that also impacts this web site.

As he has asked for leads or information on opportunities, the main thing is that Tungsten finds new and profitable employment.

Also as members we have the option, not requirement, to donate to support TGO. I, again for one, will be donating more. Hopefully others will think as I do that there is value to this site and likewise supporting this site with dollars.

Where else can we go to / come to like this site? None that I've seen.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Thanks guys. We are working on some things behind the scenes to provide continuity of service or at least get TGO moved over to another server as soon after January 1 as we can.

Several have sent messages asking how they can help. Obviously the first thing that would help is for me to find an IT job in the greater Nashville area. As I expressed to one person earlier, I am a consulting firm's dream hire. Over the past 15 years of being in this industry, I've literally been there and done that. In my current job, I have managed people, I've managed countless projects and I've done everything from pulling cable to establishing disaster recovery plans, from workstation support to mission critical server infrastructure design and implementation. If it sounds like I'm trying to sell myself... I am. :D

Next in line is of course paying to host TGO somewhere else. Hosting fees range from $30 to $200. For $30 you get what you pay for and those packages wouldn't support our typical server load or our bandwidth requirements each month. What we require will demand a reputable hosting company with stable servers and generous bandwith allotments. That puts us in the $150-200 per month range.

Right now my days consist of readying my workplace network to be handed off to an outside entity and investigating options that will ensure my family's security. I'm going to try to devote some time to TGO's future direction over the next few days so I will try to post more about this again on Sunday or Monday.

I'm probably going to be absent from TGO or at least silent on this particular issue until then. Not because I'm dodging it, but just because I want to come back to this subject with information rather than speculation.

Thanks for being patient.

I for one, would certainly be willing to throw down more than my benefactor dues to keep TGO here. This is probably the best gun forum I've ever participated in. It's based around our locality, it's not too big, not too small. No ridiculously ad-smattered pages, no trolling problem (::cough:: arfcom ::cough::D. I'm sure we could do a fund raiser, or membership drive of some sort to cover hosting dues.

All of us that love this place, and I know there are MANY, need to come together to insure TGO can stay afloat. Please, if you're not a benefactor already, I urge you to become one A.S.A.P. It's only $3 a month....that's less than renting a movie....and a lot more entertaining! :D

I'm not asking this as a TGO moderator, but as a TGO member that loves this forum and wants to see it continue. Tungsten needs our help everyone!! PLEASE, lets help him to keep this place here for us to enjoy!

Guest tnmale46
I have not become a benefactor yet, mainly due to the paypal thing. (Wife had her info stolen) That being said I WILL help to ensure that TGO stays around any way I can.

I'll send Tungsten a friggin' money order if I need to.

i would also become a benefactor if i could send a check or money order i dont do paypal i really think this is a great site
i would also become a benefactor if i could send a check or money order i dont do paypal i really think this is a great site
I have not become a benefactor yet, mainly due to the paypal thing. (Wife had her info stolen) That being said I WILL help to ensure that TGO stays around any way I can.

I'll send Tungsten a friggin' money order if I need to.

I don't use paypal*. Would be happy to help if there is another option. Visa, preferably, but even an amazon tip jar would work.

*not now, not ever.

Guys, I've brought this up to Administration. I understand your reluctance to use Paypal. Hopefully, we can get you an address soon to send donations to. I know Tungsten is very busy right now and has a lot on his mind......so hang tight.

Guest tnmale46
Guys, I've brought this up to Administration. I understand your reluctance to use Paypal. Hopefully, we can get you an address soon to send donations to. I know Tungsten is very busy right now and has a lot on his mind......so hang tight.
thanks
Guest Verbal Kint

You do realize, if Tungsten green light's the continued funding of TGO through benefactor subscriptions... it would be a huge undertaking to try and keep the ship from sinking.

As it's been pointed out, it's going to take hosting in the $150-200 range. Just taking the lower number, and using the $3 / month cost that Packinmama pointed out, that's a mandatory requirement of at least 50 users donating for that month. While that shouldn't be a huge feat, realistically it would take some effort to get that many people to chip in... let alone keep the funding going every month so that the hosting remains in place.

Not saying it's impossible, by any means, but I think some people may not be considering how many people it would take. You need at least 50-70 people, willing to donate every month, to even get this off the ground. That might be asking too much. Granted, advertising from businesses would help offset overhead as well.

Not trying to dampen any spirits... just be the voice of reason. If that many people can step forward, and give back to TGO, awesome. :drool:

I still think we can do it if we all come together. I just mentioned the $3 a month because as of right now, that's what it costs to become a benefactor. Certainly, people could give more than that if they choose. I personally have pledged to give quite a bit more than the $3 per month, and I think many others here would be willing to do the same to keep TGO afloat.

You do realize, if Tungsten green light's the continued funding of TGO through benefactor subscriptions... it would be a huge undertaking to try and keep the ship from sinking.

As it's been pointed out, it's going to take hosting in the $150-200 range. Just taking the lower number, and using the $3 / month cost that Packinmama pointed out, that's a mandatory requirement of at least 50 users donating for that month. While that shouldn't be a huge feat, realistically it would take some effort to get that many people to chip in... let alone keep the funding going every month so that the hosting remains in place.

Not saying it's impossible, by any means, but I think some people may not be considering how many people it would take. You need at least 50-70 people, willing to donate every month, to even get this off the ground. That might be asking too much. Granted, advertising from businesses would help offset overhead as well.

Not trying to dampen any spirits... just be the voice of reason. If that many people can step forward, and give back to TGO, awesome. :drool:

That's understandable, but I think we can do it. Hell, even if us "regulars" chipped in a few bucks extra, we can do it.

I'm far from an expert on this kind of thing, but how many Benefactors does TGO currently have? I really have no clue, but I would have thought there were already enough to cover the $150-$200/month.

I assume there would be other costs involved with keeping TGO up and running, but if the current bandwith and hosting have been free for all this time, it would seem that the current Benefactors (assuming we have enough to cover the $150-$200/month) should be able to cover it.

Whatever it takes, we will do it.

Guest GUTTERbOY

I've PMed Tungsten about some details of storage and bandwidth usage for the site. I may be able to get a line on hosting for the site, but I can't promise anything...

Details as they become available.

Guest Verbal Kint

Again, I'm not saying it's not possible... or that we can't come together to do it. Just saying it's going to take more than 12-15 of us to pull it off. It seems it's always the same 20 of us that donate, whether it's just $3 or not.

And as Runnfree stated... $3.00 is pocket change, and well worth what you get back from TGO.

Dunno... maybe my faith if people just isn't what it used to be... but I see it being a hard time to try and get 50-70 users donating constantly, when there are usually only 90 or so visitors per day. (Downside to this being such a smaller, close-knit group.)

Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Edited by Verbal Kint
Guest RISC777
Originally Posted by PackinMama viewpost.gif

thanks

Hanging tight and waiting on an alternative to PayScam ...uhhhh, ScamPal ... errr, PayPal.

Guest Verbal Kint
Start cutting access to those 300-400 non-benefactor members who sign on everyday, and I'm sure those $3 donations will start rolling in.:yum:

I think your figures are off, but your sentiment is noted. :drool:

Guest RISC777
And as Runnfree stated... $3.00 is pocket change, and well worth what you get back from TGO.

Dunno... maybe my faith in people just isn't what it used to be... but I see it being a hard time to try and get 50-70 users donating constantly, when there are usually only 90 or so visitors per day. (Downside to this being such a smaller, close-knit group.)

Hopefully, I'm wrong.

I'll be chipping in more than the " $25 for a year " for at least two years. I'll do what I can, and I know that today's economics are tougher than before.

Heck, I'd even be willing to chip in on some support-Dave-and-Family-fund while he's in transition mode.

We'll see how many people truly appreciate TGO, eh ??