Remington Arms

Pete123

I get my American Rifleman in print copy.  I looked for this article online and couldn't find it.

Here are the highlights:

• Remington realizes that that quality has been bad, which has resulted in significantly lower sales.
  • They seem to be consolidating manufacturing to their new Huntsville, AL facility.  One of the reasons they chose it is because of the quantity of engineers and machinists used to aero space level quality.
  • Here's the most important part.  The new CEO acknowledges that quality has been poor.  He also says that the problems haven't been fixed, that they are making progress and that it is a priority.
  • The machining in Huntsville is all new.
  • The original plant is also upgrading machinery, though they also have a lot of old machinery.

• Like 1

This was announced quite a bit ago, a year or two?, it effected many of the Freedom Group companies such as AAC, and DPMS and Bushmaster.  So they can make all the excuses they want, and they are true, but it's all about money.  Remington has made many unwise decisions IMHO, such as introducing a cheap source of 300 BLK ammo, then pulling it due to "QC" issues.  I, and others feel it was a bait and switch to get people into the caliber.  No, these companies are being run by a business doing things against the brand, which sucks because I have a few of their products.

Omega makes a very good point.  I'm not a Remington guy and thus haven't bought something and been burned.

Hopefully, the leadership has recognized that they just about ran the company into the ground with cost cutting measures and that they only way out is to fix that - and to make that decision because they think it makes good sense financially.

For me personally,  the Remington brands are no go's until I'm hearing a lot of positive about the quality improvements.  Springfield, Ruger, Savage, Mossberg, S&W, etc..... have a great balance of cost and quality with one or more of their product lines, thus we don't have to get Remington's.