What exactly does this mean??

Guest johnmattwill

Guest johnmattwill

Sorry in advance for being so "law reading illiterate, today I was trying to read some of the Tn Code on HandGun carry......:shake:

Tn Code 39-17-1307 :

39-17-1307:Unlawful carrying or possession of a weapon.

(a) (1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4"), or a club.

(2) An offense under subdivision (a)(1) is a Class C misdemeanor, except it is a Class A misdemeanor if the person's carrying of a handgun occurred at a place open to the public where one (1) or more persons were present.

What exactly in "laymans" terms does this part mean???

Thanks everyone.... and again sorry, but I appeciate the help.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tn Code 39-17-1307 :

(a) (1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4"), or a club.

It's a bad idea to go totin' a loaded firearm on your body, in your pocket, or in your pants... especially with the idea that you're gonna use it on somebody or for a criminal act, like robbin' the 7/11 down the road; definitely without even a permit to LEGALLY carry. It's never a good idea to carry a knife bigger than 4" not in plain sight because that's illegal in this state, period, and be sure not to carry one with the idea to use it on somebody or hold up the previously mentioned 7/11. Simply, DO NOT carry a club. It is gay and should not be used by anybody but an officer of the law, and then only if required. Besides, just how many times does the "Is that a club in your pocket or are you just happy to see me" joke have to be heard before it's no longer funny?

(2) An offense under subdivision (a)(1) is a Class C misdemeanor, except it is a Class A misdemeanor if the person's carrying of a handgun occurred at a place open to the public where one (1) or more persons were present.

It's only a misdeanor offense, but it's just not a good idea, anyway. If other persons are present whenever you do this, then there will be harsher penalties involved.

Edited by tadams
Changed wording at end
It's a bad idea to go totin' a loaded firearm on your body, in your pocket, or in your pants... especially with the idea that you're gonna use it on somebody or for a criminal act, like robbin' the 7/11 down the road; definitely without even a permit to LEGALLY carry. It's never a good idea to carry a knife bigger than 4" not in plain sight because that's illegal in this state, period, and be sure not to carry one with the idea to use it on somebody or hold up the previously mentioned 7/11. Simply, DO NOT carry a club. It is gay and should not be used by anybody but an officer of the law, and then only if required. Besides, just how many times does the "Is that a club in your pocket or are you just happy to see me" joke have to be heard before it's no longer funny?

It's only a misdeanor offense, but it's just not a good idea, anyway. If other persons are present whenever you do this, then there will be harsher penalties involved.

That's as about as layman as one can get right there.

Sorry in advance for being so "law reading illiterate, today I was trying to read some of the Tn Code on HandGun carry......:lol:

Tn Code 39-17-1307 :

What exactly in "laymans" terms does this part mean???

Thanks everyone.... and again sorry, but I appeciate the help.

If by this part you mean the part of the code you quoted, it means it is illegal to carry a firearm, a knife with a blade over 4" and a club. If you carry one of this things and are convicted it is a Class C misdemeanor, unless you carried in a place open to the public where at least one other person was present, like a convenience store, movie theater etc... then it is a Class A misdemeanor

It is less of a crime if they catch you just walking down the street, but if you in a place with people it is a higher level crime.

You may also see the term "this part" in other areas reading the T.C.A. this because the T.C.A. is divided into Titles, Chapters and Parts (and divisions and subdivisions below that)

Like 39-17-1307 referenced above is from Title 39 (Criminal offenses), Part 17 (Offenses against Public Health Safety and Welfare) Part 13 (Weapons)

Basically what Fallguy said, but I'll add this. It is a defense to carrying a firearm if you have...a permit!

There are also certain times where you can carry a longer knife like hunting or fishing. It basically means it's illegal to carry those things in general, but there are exemptions. I can carry my ASP baton to and from work, but not around on me while doing errands.

Guest johnmattwill

Thanks all for the replies..... I got on nraila.org/GunLaws , which was very helpfull..

The part of what I quoted in my first post that I thought was interesting was the statment in the code "with the intent to go armed"..... I found it interesting that they worded it like that......

Im trying not to only learn what the law is in the state of Tennesee, but also understand all the meanings to make informed decisions when I start to carry......Also reading laws for all surrounding states.....

Thanks again to everyone!!!

Guest shadow12
Basically what Fallguy said, but I'll add this. It is a defense to carrying a firearm if you have...a permit!

There are also certain times where you can carry a longer knife like hunting or fishing. It basically means it's illegal to carry those things in general, but there are exemptions. I can carry my ASP baton to and from work, but not around on me while doing errands.

Where do you work that it is okay to carry to work but not at work? Just curious, have you been certified with the ASP?

Not too many people carry them and you have made me curious.

Where do you work that it is okay to carry to work but not at work? Just curious, have you been certified with the ASP?

I'm curious too. AFAIK if you have the certificate you have completed the training you can carry it 24/7

Guest canynracer

I would think it is this way for a guard...no?

Do you think laymen think and talk like that?:D

You got a problem with how I talk? ....er, type? :poop::D:D:D You bein' from my neck of the woods and all I'm a questionin' your questionin', punk. :P There ain't no way yoorfrum Carter County, then!

Greenville? lmao

You do know that the certification to carry a baton is the same for security or civillian use, correct?

Once you are certified, you can carry whenever you wish.

Maybe I should clarify. I have been certified and I mean I can carry it to and from work and at work, but I can't tote it around off-duty.

It's illegal for civilians to tote around an Impact Weapon in TN.

You do know that the certification to carry a baton is the same for security or civillian use, correct?

Once you are certified, you can carry whenever you wish.

There isn't a civilian qualification for an Impact Weapon. They are illegal to carry in TN unless you are on duty Law Enforcement or Security.

Maybe I should clarify. I have been certified and I mean I can carry it to and from work and at work, but I can't tote it around off-duty.

It's illegal for civilians to tote around an Impact Weapon in TN.

There isn't a civilian qualification for an Impact Weapon. They are illegal to carry in TN unless you are on duty Law Enforcement or Security.

I believe that is incorrect.

39-17-1308 Defenses to unlawful possession or carrying of a weapon.

(a) It is a defense to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or carrying was:

(8)
By a person possessing a club or baton who holds a valid state security guard/officer registration card as a private security guard/officer, issued by the commissioner, and who also has certification that the officer has had training in the use of club or baton that is valid and issued by a person certified to give training in the use of clubs or batons;

(9)
By any person possessing a club or baton who holds a certificate that the person has had training in the use of a club or baton for self-defense that is valid and issued by a certified person authorized to give training in the use of clubs or batons, and is not prohibited from purchasing a firearm under any local, state or federal laws;

(a)(8) talks about security guards, but (a)(9) clearly says "any person" that has a certificate of training.

I contacted ASP directly once and they replied that although their training was geared for LEOs and other related persons, they did not prevent their instructors from training private citizens and it was up to the instructors discretion.

I believe that is incorrect.

(a)(8) talks about security guards, but (a)(9) clearly says "any person" that has a certificate of training.

I contacted ASP directly once and they replied that although their training was geared for LEOs and other related persons, they did not prevent their instructors from training private citizens and it was up to the instructors discretion.

Hmm. Interesting. I was always under the impression that it couldn't be carried off-duty. I guess it's because alot of schools require you be a LEO or have an active Security license to take the course.

I still won't carry mine off-duty. I have a gun for those times. Good to know though.

Hmm. Interesting. I was always under the impression that it couldn't be carried off-duty. I guess it's because alot of schools require you be a LEO or have an active Security license to take the course.

I still won't carry mine off-duty. I have a gun for those times.

Well I agree that if you start getting too many weapons on ya, it approaches mall ninja level. But might be nice to carry it in places that are off-limits to firearms.

I did some digging a while back and found my ASP certificate from a while back when I used to work at the Sheriff's Dept. I have thought about scanning it and reducing it to a wallet size card.

Well I agree that if you start getting too many weapons on ya, it approaches mall ninja level. But might be nice to carry it in places that are off-limits to firearms.

I did some digging a while back and found my ASP certificate from a while back when I used to work at the Sheriff's Dept. I have thought about scanning it and reducing it to a wallet size card.

Hmmm... :tough: You know that's not a half bad idea. I'm gonna run some of this by some of my local guys and our chief instructor.

I've got so many cert cards in my wallet it's ridiculous. I've got one less because we are private/proprietary security where I work, but apparently they are going to send us all through the state course anyway soon. Fine with me, they'll pay for my armed license and I can moonlight for my friend's company. HE HE HE! :D

Hmmm... :D You know that's not a half bad idea. I'm gonna run some of this by some of my local guys and our chief instructor.

I've got so many cert cards in my wallet it's ridiculous. I've got one less because we are private/proprietary security where I work, but apparently they are going to send us all through the state course anyway soon. Fine with me, they'll pay for my armed license and I can moonlight for my friend's company. HE HE HE! :D

:tough::whistle:

Guest ProguninTN

Judging by your post, I guess I'm lucky. (I got certified during Security training and my card was wallet-size to begin with.) :tough: