Close encounters of the self defense kind...

Two nights ago I had just left a gig in Augusta, GA and was driving back to the hotel as I was the sober one of our group and something really strange happened.

We pulled up to a stop light and two lanes over from me there was a lone tricked out Chevy Impala. Big shiny rims, nice paint.. As soon as I came to a stop the passenger door opened and a man swiftly exited the vehicle. My adrenaline surged and the first thing I did was reach for my gun in my holster in the 4 o clock position, but my hand got caught in the seatbelt and I lost a split second. I was able to draw the gun safely and inconspicuously before the individual completely vacated the car and thankfully he was just going to make sure the trunk was closed. But, the situation made me nervous after looking back. When I am in my car, a pistol is always easily accessible besides the one I have holstered, but because I was driving a strange car out of town for work, things didn't go quite as practiced or as planned.

Thank GOD it was a non-event, but I've known people that were murdered or beat to a pulp at random for gang initiation in New Orleans, and it just seemed like his timing was too perfect when I pulled up. It didn't feel right. The fairly liberal drummer was singing his praises for guns after he knew it would've been a gun that would've saved his ass had the situation turned ugly.

Anyway, just another reminder to stay aware at ALL times, you never know when evil might be lurking around the corner.. Or at a traffic light!
  • Like 9

Yep.  When I was in college, there were areas near campus where you simply didn't stop for red lights late at night.  When a light turned red, you slowed down, looked, and kept going.  It was rare to see another car and we never knew what caused the lights to change.  I was never personally accosted but a couple friends had a scare one night.  Thankfully they were able to stomp the gas and get outta there before it got ugly. 

• Like 1