Anyone own a AR15 in 7.62X39

R1100R

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FNandGlock

Im kinda doing the same I want a 6.8SPC if you here of one let me know. 7.62 x 39mm would be cool as well but I cant find either and the 6.8 on here just seems hign

Many yrs. ago many man. including colt made ARs in 7.62 x 39, but not for long, since at best they all were very problematic at best and unreliable at worst!

Olympic started making them again and they are avail. since may, however Olympic does have a bad rep. about their ARs in 5.56 as well as all their guns.

S&W did start selling AR uppers in 5.45 just recently.

Do a search on the AK files or the AK forum, this has been recently discussed. Arsenal also does make AKs in 5.56 for the last few yrs. there again either you get one that works or a lot will only jam.

I would also love to have an AR in x 39, however if not 100% reliable, i will pass!

Problem is, most 7.62 ammo is a little dirty, which is fine and dandy for the AK, which never met a round it didnt like. However, the design of the AR's gas system isn't to fond of that dirty ammo.

Its no worse than feeding wolf .223 through your AR. Lots of people do it and its become sort of a 'taboo' rather than fact.

Sure the gas system vomits all over the place inside the chamber but your not in battle are you? If you clean the thing after each range session you'll be golden.

Jams are really the only crappy thing with the x39 variants.

Nice. Yeah i figured as much. :shake:

Wouldn't shooting ComBloc 7.62 in an AR upper be unarguably dirtier than shooting Wolf in a 5.56 AR upper due to the charecteristics of the load of each respectable round? Or would the difference be unmeasurable? Ha, I'm just wildly speculating for sake of discussion, I've no interest in a 7.62 upper.

Guest coldblackwind

I don't have one, but my dad does. He seems to like it. I think the biggest problem he had with it was finding magazines, but that was a while ago, they may be more common now.

Wouldn't shooting ComBloc 7.62 in an AR upper be unarguably dirtier than shooting Wolf in a 5.56 AR upper due to the charecteristics of the load of each respectable round? Or would the difference be unmeasurable? Ha, I'm just wildly speculating for sake of discussion, I've no interest in a 7.62 upper.

I sometimes think your trying to bring back Mccarthyism poak. :lol:

Sometimes?

Haha ok, ok.

All ammo in all AR variants puke in the chamber..minus the gas piston uppers.

Ammo is dirty anyways...so until poak can make caseless ammunition perfect with no spill we'll all have to settle for whats out there.

Ok, i'm done.

Guest coldblackwind

Hmm...thats a good question. I'll ask him tomorrow who made it, and see what he thinks of it at the same time. I'll let ya know what I come up with.

I use to have a Colt that was chambered in 7.62x39. It did not feed reliably because of the magazines. I tried different magazines and none of them would feed reliably. This was about fifteen yrs ago so they may have come up with new magazines that feed. Just my .02 cents

Guest coldblackwind

I asked my dad about his. He says the 7.62X39 upper is made by model 1, and that it shoots great. The only real problem he has had out of it is finding decent magazines.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mugster

I have one on a carbine length gas system, 16" barrel. Haven't shot it that much. 10 round mags are plentiful and they work. You guys probably want 30's which are hard to get and don't work unless they are franken mags. Cproducts is still making promises. Shrug.

Steel cased ammo is pretty good depending on what it is. Wolf 154gr spire point shoots about a 2" 5 shot group at 100 yards. Golden tiger ball is a little better. Runs 2200 and 2400 fps collectively.

Downside to the rifle is when it gunks up after 100 rounds of the commie stuff, you lose accuracy fast.

Reloading for it is a mixed bag. The round has alot of potential imo. But, its tough to find greater than 123/125gr .311 bullets. I haven't tried any .308's in it yet. Also, powder selection is pretty limited. I'm fooling around with what's left of some AA2230. Need to use aa1680 or something around that speed that will pack in there...the case is so small you can't pack enough slower powder in there to do much good.

Upside to the rifle is firepower and hitting power over .223. I hunted it this morning but didn't get a shot. With these handloads running only 2250 for 123gr, and shooting about 1.75" at 100, I limited myself on shot selection.

Guest Astra900

Try looking for bullets made for .303 British. They're .311 and can be had much heavier. I got a bunch of .311 180g soft points I load in my Brit, I'd LOVE to see that in a '39!!!