SUV vs 4-door truck with a camper air conditioning

JReedEsq

Has anyone switched back and forth between an SUV and a similar sized 4-door truck with a camper.  I am specifically interested in your thoughts between the formats more than the make/model.  If you have switched from a Tahoe to a 4-door Silverado or from a 4Runner to a Tacoma that's perfect.  I am weighing the pros and cons the format before I nail down make/model for my next vehicle.  I probably won't purchase for a while but I like to research these things to death and although I currently drive a mid-sized truck based SUV, I am considering a 4-door truck with a shell for my next vehicle to have more cargo room.  We take our two kids bike riding often are planning to start camping more again this spring.  Because my wife prefers to keep her car clean mine is always the one we drive for camping/hiking/muddy bike riding, and driving our dogs around.  We have 2 kids and 2 dogs (boxers).  

The pros to the truck would be a little more space but the downsides I am concerned about are:

1) I can't get one in my garage unless I get a Tacoma with a bed so short that it might as well be a 4Runner.  I do like parking in the garage and based on my measurements I think I could squeeze in a Tahoe or Landcruiser.  

2) No air-conditioning for my dogs without a complicated setup.  Boxers don't do well in hot weather.  

I am not really considering any car-based crossovers, because I occasionally use the 4wd and we could end up getting a small camper and I'd rather tow with a truck chassis vs a minivan chassis.  

I currently drive a 2006 Pathfinder (the ones that were truck based) that is still running fine so I am not in a hurry.  The newer 4Runners are pretty much exactly the same size as my old truck-based Pathfinder.  I like the new 4Runners but they have almost exactly the same amount of space as my Pathfinder.  If my next vehicle isn't going to have more space for trips etc.. I might as well just keep driving the Pathfinder.  It works find for us most of the time, but when we travel we feel pretty maxed out.  We have to use the largest Thule roof rack box for stuff, two bikes on the roof, two bikes in the back, and our boxer takes up a lot of the rear cargo space.  In addition to our 7.5 year old boxer, we now have a boxer puppy so now I am really thinking things could be tight.

Several times a year we do trips when I feel like we would be a lot more comfortable in an F150/Silverado/Tundra with a shell, but I waiver on giving up the day-to-day convenience of parking in the garage.   

Your thoughts??? 

Edited by JReedEsq

I don't know if they still make it, but Ford used to make a truck with an extended cab and 5 1/2' bed.  You can seat 4-5 comfortably, but basically keeps you in the wheelbase of a short bed regular cab truck.  

The dogs will probably be fine if you get a shell with good ventilation and don't leave them in there when the truck isn't moving.  

I've gone through the same thought process many times and I think I've settled on the truck, until I think about it again.

My current option is the SUV with a small utility trailer.  I use the trailer for hauling all the dirty, greasy, smelly stuff you'd otherwise put in the truck bed.  And I don't care that it sits outside all the time.   Yes, the trailer can be a pain sometimes and it does reduce gas mileage a bit, but it's indispensable when I need it and it doesn't cost me a thing when I don't. 

I switched from an SUV to a truck with a cap. It fits my needs well as I carry a lot of stuff for work in totes and it keeps it mostly dry and clean. It doesn't get too hot in side with the side screens open. If you are going to put the dogs in back sliding screened windows will be a must. Wit Boxers you will probably have to armor the screens as they get excited. My cap is an ARE and the dealer offered stainless mesh panels that went inside the screens for this purpose.

If your big problem is travel for trips, etc with he kids and bikes I think that Peejman has the right idea get a small trailer if its enclosed you can even use it as a bike garage at home if parking space allows and then get an SUV that is more comfortable for the people and dogs.

I love my truck and it fits my needs to a T but its not for everyone.

• Admin Team

I'm going through this right now.

I'm moving from an Xterra to a Tacoma.  Frankly, I can put wetter, dirtier gear in the back of a truck.  Also for me, I recently started using a Hobie Pro Angler 14.  At 137lbs., there's no way to get this thing on top of an SUV safely by myself.  As such, for my use cases, the Tacoma makes a lot of sense.

One thing I've noticed when looking at trucks, is that the back seats are generally more spacious than their SUV peers.  This is a big feature for me with 3 kids. This sounds odd, but as close as I can tell, since they're not competing for space with a third row seat and somehow trying to maintain 20" of rear space vs. 18" they don't have to worry about it and can stretch out a little bit.  My wife is in a 2008 Pathfinder with a third row seat.  With the rear seat up, you don't really have any usable space in the rear.

This is all driving me to a pickup.  Mind you, the 4Runner is a great truck.  It's all about your use case.

I do like parking in the garage and based on my measurements I think I could squeeze in a Tahoe or Landcruiser.  

A Chevy 1500 with the standard bed is only 1.5" longer than a Tahoe, according to Chevy's website. Most SUVs are based on a truck platform and the exterior dimensions of the SUV vs. truck don't change very much.

Tahoe = 204"

1500 = 205.57"

I'm going through this right now.

I'm moving from an Xterra to a Tacoma.  Frankly, I can put wetter, dirtier gear in the back of a truck.  Also for me, I recently started using a Hobie Pro Angler 14.  At 137lbs., there's no way to get this thing on top of an SUV safely by myself.  As such, for my use cases, the Tacoma makes a lot of sense.

One thing I've noticed when looking at trucks, is that the back seats are generally more spacious than their SUV peers.  This is a big feature for me with 3 kids. This sounds odd, but as close as I can tell, since they're not competing for space with a third row seat and somehow trying to maintain 20" of rear space vs. 18" they don't have to worry about it and can stretch out a little bit.  My wife is in a 2008 Pathfinder with a third row seat.  With the rear seat up, you don't really have any usable space in the rear.

This is all driving me to a pickup.  Mind you, the 4Runner is a great truck.  It's all about your use case.

I'll agree with this... My sister had a Tahoe for a while.  The 3rd row seats made it nearly useless for hauling stuff.  Taking them in/out was a PITA.  3rd row seats that don't fold completely into the floor make it effectively a passenger vehicle only, and they're usually so tight that they only fit kids under 10.  If you've gotta put a car seat back there.... fuggedaboutit.

A Chevy 1500 with the standard bed is only 1.5" longer than a Tahoe, according to Chevy's website. Most SUVs are based on a truck platform and the exterior dimensions of the SUV vs. truck don't change very much.

Tahoe = 204"
1500 = 205.57"

You are looking at the 2-door, I am looking at the 4-door... I like the Silverado, F150 and the Tundra, I just don't know if I like them enough to forgo parking in the garage. Edited by JReedEsq

I just got a F150. There is a lot of room in the back seat. With the seats folded up, you could fit a lot of dogs back there.

Right but I can't fold the seats up and take the kids... I agree with the comments about the small 3rd row seats. I can't remember when the 3rd row was folded up on my Pathfinder. I do need to use a 2nd row, however, and carry my dogs at the same time...

I went with the Tacoma after a lot of research. 4 door with the short bed. It fits in garage and with a shell the dogs are OK. I would not leave them in it while not moving though. Back seats have plenty of room and a small trailer makes it almost perfect. I bought it 16 months ago and it does not sit still much as I have 48ooo + on it already. I do not regret it a bit! I built a removable Kayak rack from treated 2X4s so we can haul the Kayaks without the trailer if we desire. Works great!

I would not go the Tacoma route before driving and sitting in one. I've been a big fan of the Taco's for years. I mean big fan. I still love the body style. I drove a new one about a year ago and really didn't like it. The driver seat was very uncomfortable and even in the crew cab verions the backseat doesn't have enough space for adults (IMO).  When you consider the spacing constraints with the fact that midsize trucks still carry a full size price tag I think it's smarter to buy a full size pickup.

I just recently bought a nearly mint 2002 Tundra that I'm quite happy with.

Based on your needs and limited garage space it really sounds to me that you need to stick with an SUV. Something larger than the Pathfinder.

Short garages suck.

I hear that... Still, We fit 10 bikes, 2 cars, a mower, weed eater, chainsaw, Lots of camping gear and backpacking gear in our garage. It is deaper on the side my wife parks, but that space is accounted for... Eventually we may have an additional bay added but it will have to be pretty custom to fit our lot and our HOA requirements.

Eric, I agree on the mid-size vs full-size truck debate. The Tacoma and the new Chevrolet Colorado seem way overpriced to me.. Edited by JReedEsq
So I've owned at one point or another:
2004 Ram 1500 quad cab 6.5' Bed
2006 Ram 3500 mega cab 6.5' bed
2004 Durango
2006 Jeep Commander
2010 Ram 1500 5ft bed Crew cab
2015 Ram 3500 Crew cab 8' bed
2015 Jeep 4 door

So with that said here's my opinion.
Anything less than about 6.5' bed is useless. Even putting an 8' 2x4 takes some tie downs.
The rear doors need to be full sized. I don't know that they make anything smaller now?
I don't find the smaller trucks worth it. A full size is about the same price and much more useful.
Diesel power is worth it. Also holds its value much better. I just finished a trip from Cincinnati to Nashville and back and got 18mpg out of my 3500 dually. The gas engines I've had got about the same mileage.

I carry 2 adults, 4 kids, and 2 boxers comfortably inside my trucks.

For the dogs if you really need to carry them in the bed get a truck with a sliding window and a cap with the same.

The suvs we have owned and currently own are not as wide as the trucks which makes them less comfortable when putting a but in each seat. They also do not have the leg room that is in the trucks. The back areas are too small. I can fit more stuff in the cab of the trucks (esp the megacab) than I could in any of the suvs.

As usual YMMV
  • Like 1

I hear that... Still, We fit 10 bikes, 2 cars, a mower, weed eater, chainsaw, Lots of camping gear and backpacking gear in our garage. It is deaper on the side my wife parks, but that space is accounted for... Eventually we may have an additional bay added but it will have to be pretty custom to fit our lot and our HOA requirements.

Eric, I agree on the mid-size vs full-size truck debate. The Tacoma and the new Chevrolet Colorado seem way overpriced to me..

Amen, my garage is pushing maximum density as well. When I pull in I'm about about an inch from my motorcycle and 2 inches from the door.

i-C4tV6z6-L.jpg

i-pfk26DB-M.jpg

And I agree on the mid sized trucks. A full size is only a little more money and you get a lot more truck.

Edited by peejman

Right but I can't fold the seats up and take the kids... I agree with the comments about the small 3rd row seats. I can't remember when the 3rd row was folded up on my Pathfinder. I do need to use a 2nd row, however, and carry my dogs at the same time...

That's why I waited till my kids were in college to get my new truck. Lol
I have a Yukon XL and a Dodge Ram 1500 4 door short bed. I can just barely squeeze both of them in the garage, but the yukon is much easier to get in. I never park the truck inside because there's other stuff preventing that from happening. On long trips, I much prefer to sit in the truck. Something about the way the seats sit up higher like a real chair makes my body feel better. They each serve their purpose. The front seat occupants will be more comfortable in the truck, but the back seaters will prob be more comfy in the SUV due to the added space to move around

I can't live without a truck though. If I were to have only one, it would be the truck. I just need that bed way too often. Edited by Wingshooter

You are looking at the 2-door, I am looking at the 4-door... I like the Silverado, F150 and the Tundra, I just don't know if I like them enough to forgo parking in the garage.

I'm still in the decision making loop on a smaller SUV/AWD vehicle and have seriously looked at the Toyota Tacoma 4Dr PU with thought of a camper shell. But that's moot as I have a recommendation with respect to use of your garage being a deal breaker. Have you considered an exterior car port in front of or to the side of the garage door entrance? The properly anchored all metal ones are affordable and sturdy.