Taurus Judge legal questions

House

I'm new here so bear with me. I've done a couple of searches for sawed off shotguns, and shotguns with pistol grips, and didn't find the answer I was looking for.

My question is this. Is a Judge loaded with 410 shot considered a sawed off shotgun?

In short no

The term most genuinely applies to illegal weapons that are created by cutting off the barrel of a standard shotgun. This has a dramatic effect on double-barreled or single-shot shotguns because the barrel can be cut to any length. Pump-action or semi-automatic shotguns usually have a tube magazine attached to the underside of the barrel which limits the minimum barrel length to slightly longer than the length of the magazine tube, when only the barrel is modified.

Edited by krunchnik

the reason I ask is because I've been told both. No it's not considered a shotgun, and it is considered a shotgun only if you use 410.

Do you really think ATF would let Taurus sell a SBS without a tax stamp?

In short, no, it is not classified as a shotgun for a variety of niche reasons, since it is designed as a .45 pistol with a rifled bore that happens to also shoot .410, never had a buttstock, is not in a caliber over .5", etc.

- OS

• Like 4

I want a 20ga revolver with a 12" barrel.....

I'd like one too, but that would run afoul of NFA.  Smoothbore and it would be a short-barreled shotgun.  Rifled and it would be a Destructive Device (unless you could get a "sporting exemption" from the BATFE, which is highly unlikely.)

Taurus actually brought a 28 gauge revolver prototype to SHOT one year...

I'd like one too, but that would run afoul of NFA. Smoothbore and it would be a short-barreled shotgun. Rifled and it would be a Destructive Device (unless you could get a "sporting exemption" from the BATFE, which is highly unlikely.)

Taurus actually brought a 28 gauge revolver prototype to SHOT one year...

Yeah and ATF squashed it before it could even make it to production. Sure was cool looking though

I'd like one too, but that would run afoul of NFA.  Smoothbore and it would be a short-barreled shotgun.  ..

Actually would be an AOW. Can't be a shotgun of any type unless it began life with a buttstock.

Even a legal 18" smooth bore isn't a shotgun if it begins life with a pistol grip.

- OS

• Like 1

Actually would be an AOW. Can't be a shotgun of any type unless it began life with a buttstock.

Even a legal 18" smooth bore isn't a shotgun if it begins life with a pistol grip.

- OS

If it started life as a pistol grip and is at least 26" long then it's a firearm, regardless of barrel length. That's why you can buy a 14" barreled Moss berg 500 with a birdshead grip with no tax stamp.

Sent from behind the anvil

If it started life as a pistol grip and is at least 26" long then it's a firearm, regardless of barrel length. That's why you can buy a 14" barreled Moss berg 500 with a birdshead grip with no tax stamp.

True. But my point is that any legal OAL smooth bore shotshell firing weapon originally configured with pistol grip is not a "shotgun" ("long gun" on 4473), but rather "other firearm",  and is to be transferred as such on the 4473. 18", 20" barrel, whatever.

IOW, this Mossberg Persuader model is an "other firearm", same as the shorty config you mention.

moss_50588.jpg

Only real difference is that you can put a stock on this one if you like. Since that makes it a shotgun though, it's my understanding that it then retains the classification of "long gun/shotgun" then, even though it's still legal to go back to pistol grip on it -- though I'm not totally sure on that little point.

I do know that an original shotgun/long gun (configured with stock) remains a shotgun even with changing to a pistol grip though, which of course is also legal.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

- OS

You are absolutely correct, sir. I posted that one "on the fly" as it were and went all feeble-brained.