Obama says that gun-owning Americans do not need to rush out and stock up

Guest colrmccoll

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BY ABDON M. PALLASCH Political Reporter

As gun sales shoot up around the country, President-elect Barack Obama said Sunday that gun-owning Americans do not need to rush out and stock up before he is sworn in next month.

"I believe in common-sense gun safety laws, and I believe in the second amendment," Obama said at a news conference. "Lawful gun owners have nothing to fear. I said that throughout the campaign. I haven't indicated anything different during the transition. I think people can take me at my word."

But National Rifle Association spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said it's not Obama's words — but his legislative track record — that has gun-buyers flocking to the stores.

"Prior to his campaign for president, his record as a state legislator and as a U.S. Senator shows he voted for the most stringent forms of gun control, the most Draconian legislation, gun bans, ammunition bans and even an increase in federal excise taxes up to 500 percent for every gun and firearm sold," Arulanandam said.

Obama answered "yes" in 1996 to a questionnaire from an Illinois group on whether he supported a handgun ban. But he later said a staffer filled out that answer and he did not support a ban.

Nationally, background checks for gun purchases jumped nearly 49 percent during the week Obama was elected, compared with the same time period last year, according to the FBI's National Instant Background Check System.

Anecdotally, gun dealers around the country have reported spikes in sales. The Illinois State Rifle Association Reports gun sales for November were 38 percent higher than last year.

"We don't dispute [the gun sales hike] because the numbers from the federal system certainly confirm that there is increased activity out there. We just think it's a bit stupid," said Peter Hamm, spokesman for the Brady Campaign against Gun Violence.

"Anyone who thinks they need to rush out and buy a firearm clearly has not been paying attention to how quickly we make progress on this issue. We don't think these are first-time buyers. We think they are people who already have more than enough guns at their homes to protect themselves and are buying more."

@ the last part of that article.. I do believe there are ALOT of first time buyers, sure there are alot of gun owners buying more, but I have been to several gun stores in the past few months and each time I end up talking to someone who is a first time gun buyer.

"We don't dispute [the gun sales hike] because the numbers from the federal system certainly confirm that there is increased activity out there. We just think it's a bit stupid," said Peter Hamm, spokesman for the Brady Campaign against Gun Violence.

"Anyone who thinks they need to rush out and buy a firearm clearly has not been paying attention to how quickly we make progress on this issue. We don't think these are first-time buyers. We think they are people who already have more than enough guns at their homes to protect themselves and are buying more."

Wrong. We have seen a giant spike in "first time" buyers here at CCA. I would venture a guess that as many as 40% of our firearms sales in the past five weeks have been to those "first time" buyers.

And that's the problem with you lefties Peter, you know so much that just isn't so. And how much is "more than enough" Peter? I think we've heard more than enough from you and the Brady campaign, and that we have more than enough gun laws that trample the rights of law abiding citizens. Criminals don't obey laws Peter, just as your ilk don't use the sense God gave you.

Guest nraforlife
And that's the problem with you lefties Peter, you know so much that just isn't so. And how much is "more than enough" Peter? I think we've heard more than enough from you and the Brady campaign, and that we have more than enough gun laws that trample the rights of law abiding citizens. Criminals don't obey laws Peter, just as your ilk don't use the sense God gave you.

+1. If the O bans guns I'll have a bow and arrow, axe, speargun, blowgun around

Guest Verbal Kint

This coming from the same person that bashed Hillary Clinton for her foreign policy, then turned around and named her Secretary of State. Yeah, I'll definitely put stock in what the douche nozzle is saying. :screwy:

"Anyone who thinks they need to rush out and buy a firearm clearly has not been paying attention to how quickly we make progress on this issue. We don't think these are first-time buyers. We think they are people who already have more than enough guns at their homes to protect themselves and are buying more."[/quote]

I'll decide when I have "enough" guns.

Guest nraforlife

Only and I mean ONLY if he is allowed to get away with it! Course since I have sold most of my guns to a bunch of Spanish speaking guys up in Morristown and the rest to some black dude with a gold tooth down my the projects in East Knoxville, the O can go pound sand. BUT if I did have a firearm or two or three or ten or ..., I'd buy all the freaking ammo I could now. Maybe also that AK and/or AR

Viva la Revolucion!

"Is it a rebellion?" asked Louis XVI of the count who informed him of the fall of the Bastille.

"No, sire," came the reply. "It is a revolution."

...."I believe in common-sense gun safety laws, and I believe in the second amendment," Obama said at a news conference. "Lawful gun owners have nothing to fear. I said that throughout the campaign. I haven't indicated anything different during the transition. I think people can take me at my word."...

O is a contemporary politician, and his lips were undoubtedly moving when he said this. That's really all you need to know.

- OS

Guest Verbal Kint

I believe Obama so much that I ordered more PMAGs this morning, when Bravo go their shipments in. Apparently a lot of other people believe him also.

I watched the first batch of black PMAGs sell out, after a person posted on M4C that they just "hit the shelves", in under 5 mins. When I got the email alert for the FDE colored mags, I placed my order and posted in the M4C thread that those had just been released into their stock, and I watched those sell out in under 30 minutes as well.

It's a good feeling to be able to trust your future President. :lol: