Any advice on cwp class/tests

Guest TheBadLuckCharm

Guest TheBadLuckCharm

I have to go this coming weekend, I will probably use my 642 but I can not shoot past 10 feet with it very accurately.I know I need a lot more practice with the 642 but I figure with 3 months of a waiting period I need to go ahead and get the ball rolling.

My husband is way better with my 642 than me for some reason:D

I heard some classes do 3 and 7 yards 20 rounds each and less on the farther distances.

I have heard some states only allow you to carry the type of gun you take qualify with -revolver vs semi for example. Does anyone know this to be true? I would not think so since we have no waiting period on purchase or gun registration, but I may be wrong.

I'd feel kinda crappy having to make everyone wait on me to reload my 5 shots since I have no speedloader and I don't think it'd help much anyways. How does the process work do they make you shoot one at a time while everyone stands around and watches you? ANYONE???

Safety advice?

I'm nervous , so any advice at all helps!

Thanks!:D

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tungy is right. Don't sweat it. It's a cake walk.

My class had at least two women who very obviously had almost no shooting experience, and they passed the course with flying colors.

You don't have to shoot perfectly, or even close to perfectly. Spend more time and effort on the safety factor.

Best of luck. You can do it.

Oh, once you get your TN HCP, you can carry whatever you want.

Oh, Don't worry about anyone waiting on you. There will probably be others who'll have to reload as well.

Oh, as far as safety advice goes, make sure your firearm isn't pointed at anyone or anything you don't intend on shooting.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
I have to go this coming weekend, I will probably use my 642 but I can not shoot past 10 feet with it very accurately.I know I need a lot more practice with the 642 but I figure with 3 months of a waiting period I need to go ahead and get the ball rolling.

My husband is way better with my 642 than me for some reason:D

I heard some classes do 3 and 7 yards 20 rounds each and less on the farther distances.

I have heard some states only allow you to carry the type of gun you take qualify with -revolver vs semi for example. Does anyone know this to be true? I would not think so since we have no waiting period on purchase or gun registration, but I may be wrong.

I'd feel kinda crappy having to make everyone wait on me to reload my 5 shots since I have no speedloader and I don't think it'd help much anyways. How does the process work do they make you shoot one at a time while everyone stands around and watches you? ANYONE???

Safety advice?

I'm nervous , so any advice at all helps!

Thanks!:D

i'm going this weekend as well, taking in oak ridge. looking forward to it, i'v been told we will shoot OUTSIDE, rain or shine!! its going to be cold! good luck to you -

You are not target shooting for the HCP class. You should not have any problem with the shooting requirement. When I took my class, several people had very little (if any) experience with handguns: everyone passed.

In TN, you can carry any handgun not just what you qualify with. It doesn't matter if its a semi-auto or a revolver. I saw several people take the class with a .22 revolver.

Good luck!

Guest RISC777

You won't be farther away than 25 feet. Put all your shots into the black (silhouette target). No one will hurry you. Pay close attention to range safety instructions. Don't fall asleep in the video(s). LOL :-) You'll (all) do fine.

Guest Provence

When I took my HCP class, I brought a .22 target pistol rather than use my S&W 638.

Had I known how easy it was, I would have used the 638. You should have no problem passing.

When I took my HCP class, I brought a .22 target pistol rather than use my S&W 638...

Yeah, I used .22 also, pistol almost as old as me. Ammo might have been older, had 6 or 8 duds in the 48 rounds fired.

I only had an old .38 snubbie besides the .22 at the time, and yeah, had I known the target part would be that easy, could have used it. But would have cost more :P

- OS

You won't be farther away than 25 feet. Put all your shots into the black (silhouette target). No one will hurry you. Pay close attention to range safety instructions. Don't fall asleep in the video(s). LOL :-) You'll (all) do fine.

We make them shoot at 45, but that's the farthest and it's only 12 rounds out of 50.

It's an easy class, 98% pass and if you can't pass you DEFINITELY need to either get some training or do not need anything more dangerous than a plastic fork. :P

Guest johnmattwill

The best advice I can give is relax, listen and have FUN.... I stressed over the range part for months , practiced at 45 feet etc etc... To be honest, it wasnt that hard...

My wife took a hammerless .38 Tarus ,that she just actually despises, to quality with (why she shot that if she hates it so much I dont know) and she qualified with a 98%.....

You'll have that Certificate in hand and be ready to be first in line on a Monday morning at the closest DMV that is open that you can find!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

And in the mean time, be sure to find your Birth Certificate or Passport, to take with you to the DMV... wont get far with out it.....

Guest eyebedam

I took a Walther P22 for my class only because the ammo is so dang cheap to shoot. Dont worry about taking the 642 Im sure there will be another 5 shot in the group.

after you go to the dmv and get all paperwork done wait about 30 days and call them to find out the status of your permit and most of the time they will issue it and send it to you. here is contact info

Lisa Knight, Manager

1150 Foster Avenue

Nashville, TN 37243 (615) 253-5221

866-849-3548 (toll-free)

Guest RISC777
after you go to the dmv and get all paperwork done...
Double check the piece of paper they'll give you for finger printing. The one I got was seriously, way out of date. Register online at the website (the URL is in the paperwork you'll get at the DMV when doing the app.), that'll give you current and actual sites to go to for the printing part.

The written portioin is a breeze. Many people, including myself have qualified with a snubby. Take whatever firearm you are comfortable with. The place I took my class had a rental guns and offered target .22's at a discount for the students.

I called the toll free number for the fingerprinting and did it the same day. When I got to the fingerprinting station they had my info in their computer and I was done quickly.

Edited by bubbiesdad
more info
We make them shoot at 45, but that's the farthest and it's only 12 rounds out of 50.

It's an easy class, 98% pass and if you can't pass you DEFINITELY need to either get some training or do not need anything more dangerous than a plastic fork. :lol:

How about a Tactical Fork!!

KB1300.jpg

Yes, what everyone said, if they have rentals, rent a .22, if you would rather shoot something else. Have fun, keep an open mind.

Guest RISC777
How about a Tactical Fork!!

KB1300.jpg

Yes, what everyone said, if they have rentals, rent a .22, if you would rather shoot something else. Have fun, keep an open mind.

No bowl / cup? ...hmph

Is there any course material to the class that you can pickup somewhere? Signed up for a class this month but I would like something to review for the written test.

All material on the test is covered in the video. Except for the laws which have changed since the video was made. These are covered in the verbal instruction.