Informing a LEO that your carrying, at a traffic stop

Guest johnmattwill

Guest TargetShooter84

I'd just be upfront with the officer and just politely tell them that I'm armed and have HCP in wallet and will wait for officer's instructions on when is the appropriate time to remove my wallet to hand in my DL, HCP, Insurance, etc to be on the safe side.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, I've been pulled over a few *cough, cough* times and the officers were always happy that I handed them my permit with my license, and when I saw that they were reading it, I told them what I had and where it was. I always ask them what they would like me to do at that point. One female Metro Nashville officer kinda' freaked a bit and told me not to get it out of the console. One Kentucky Trooper just asked that I would allow him to retrieve it from my glovebox, which I obliged happily. He took it back to his car, and when he gave it back to me after issuing my citation he gave me the ammo separately. The other couple officers didn't seem to really care I had a gun on me.

I have deserved every citation I was issued, and every officer (save that Tenn Highway Patrolman on my first day of class at MTSU) was very professional and courteous. I completely understand their desire to control situations for their own safety.

Guest eyebedam
Unfortunately, I've been pulled over a few *cough, cough* times and the officers were always happy that I handed them my permit with my license, and when I saw that they were reading it, I told them what I had and where it was. I always ask them what they would like me to do at that point. One female Metro Nashville officer kinda' freaked a bit and told me not to get it out of the console. One Kentucky Trooper just asked that I would allow him to retrieve it from my glovebox, which I obliged happily. He took it back to his car, and when he gave it back to me after issuing my citation he gave me the ammo separately. The other couple officers didn't seem to really care I had a gun on me.

I have deserved every citation I was issued, and every officer (save that Tenn Highway Patrolman on my first day of class at MTSU) was very professional and courteous. I completely understand their desire to control situations for their own safety.

Although I understand the officers concern for there safety I think it would bother me if they took my gun back to there vehicle with them & it actually left my sight. Im all for them unloading it or placing it on the roof of my vehicle but completly taking it back to there vehicle with them is a little much but really what can we do but go with it.

What I'd like to know, does a cop really have to call his supervisor, if I ask him to?

I’m sure every department handles that as they see fit; but no.

If a person was acting normally and wanted to see a Command Officer I would see if we had one available. If they wanted to make a citizens complaint; I explained that process to them and informed them that it required them going to HQ and making the complaint.

I have said this before and I will say it again; you always have recourse. But the last place in the world you want to try to exercise it is on the street.

One thing I am considering, and I must be careful how I word this: You cannot :angel: on people forever and get away with it. I am very afraid that one of our police in this little town will soon meet his maker, all because he chose not to conduct himself like a gentleman.

That’s pretty telling right there. :blush:

You seem to have your mind made up about all cops; and that’s okay. But don’t whine about it when that comes across and they treat you like a dirtbag.

I'm just gonna relate my experience. LEOs and others please post comment and opinions.

Early morning on my way to work. I travel through the West Gate/Belle Meade area.

I admittedly was traveling faster than the posted speed limit, but with other traffic. (Yes, I'm well aware that doesn't make it OK).

But I digress, in the eyes of the Metro/Davidson County police officer on the motorcycle, it was my lucky day. I pulled over to the shoulder after he signaled me as the soon-to-be recipient to pay some "fast tax".

At this point, let me set the visual:

2003 Isuzu Rodeo, clean and no dents or bumperstickers.

Me: 40 yr old, clean shaven, mustache, collared dress shirt and slacks, eye glasses.

Radio off, nothing in the front passenger seat, dash or consoles.

By the time the officer reached my window, I had DL, Vehicle Reg and Insurance card in my left hand and my wallet in my right hand, wrists resting atop the steering wheel, window down.

Immediately upon his approach, he asked "when did I plan to tell him I had a gun in the car?"

He then goes on a rant about how he wouldn't think twice about dragging me out onto the pavement, cuffing me or just putting a .45 cal through my brain.

Once he calmed down, i asked what that was all about.

He said he had spotted my HCP in the window of my wallet.

(I carry my DL, HCP, Insurance card and Vehicle Reg in the same section of my wallet, DL facing out. Once these other documents were removed, the old HCP was standing in the wallet window front and center).

Never moving my hands and speaking very calmly, I inquired that I didn't think that the HCP or an yet unseen hand gun was relevant to a traffic stop, but that if he must know, the HCP was current and the handgun was unloaded, holstered and in my laptop case in the back seat and that I would cooperate without any resistance. (yeah, I know, I might as well have had a paper weight as to have been carrying an unloaded gun out of hands reach - and no, not for this instance).

At any rate, I got the ticket (no argument there, I was guilty of the violation and knew the rep of the territory).

But I don't think anybody deserves the hassle.

Opinions?

LEOS, where was the break down here?

Another reason to always inform them up front even though you dont leagally have too. He shouldnt have handled that stop like that at all. Matter of fact something should be done about it. Pm or email me his name and badge number and a copy of the ticket and we'll do something about it. .

I'd like someone (who knows) to elaborate on this. I tried it several years ago in Dickson back when i first got my permit. A cop pulled me over, took my gun and threatened to arrest me for having it. Yep, he had my permit in his hand!!!! I asked him to call his supervisor, he laughed and said why, you want him to arrest you? Then i asked him if I could get my notebook from my dash. He asked why, I told him I wanted to write down his name, badge number and car number. He said no, and within 2 minutes I was on my way, with my gun back in it's holster. He didn't even write the ticket that I deserved for 40 in a 30! Hell, I would have taken the ticket and said have a nice day, if that would have been the whole deal. I got no problem paying for what I do.

What I'd like to know, does a cop really have to call his supervisor, if I ask him to?

why didnt you just call 911 immediatly and tell dispatch you wanted a supervisor?

Another reason to always inform them up front even though you dont leagally have too. He shouldnt have handled that stop like that at all. Matter of fact something should be done about it. Pm or email me his name and badge number and a copy of the ticket and we'll do something about it. .

And that, ladies and gents, is why Phil is one of the good guys.

You go, bro!

Guest Astra900
You can call 911. :)
Actually, I have told my wife, If a cop ever scares the :) out of her, DO JUST THAT. Get as many involved as you can.
why didnt you just call 911 immediatly and tell dispatch you wanted a supervisor?

That was 10 years ago, cell phones were just out of the "motorola brick" phase and wasn't exactly on my "to buy" list. Youngling, wisdom score of zero, naive, I could go on. I called the station once I got to work, the guy told me it would be best to let it go. So I did. Actually I'm glad I did. A guy I worked with had three pistols "seized" by dickson police, claimed he was trying to sell guns without license. Funny, he went to court, judge threw it out cause it was BS to start with, and when he went to get his guns, they were mysteriously missing. HHmmmm:bs:

Anywho, I find nowadays, it's easiest to shove my pride up my butt, kiss the cops hind end, and shine him on to the best of my ability. Treat him like a king, and do my swearing and griping a mile or two later. Kinda like a prostate exam, nobody wants one, just grit your teeth, get it over with, and get the heck out as fast as possible. Then there's usually not any reason for red flags, just pretend to be another member of the sheeple flock.:)

Guest 270win

Lay low and be discreet with going about your business and you shouldn't have any problems. It is best to avoid any lengthy conversation with police in a traffic stop, including possession of legal firearms. I would only have a permit available if I had a visible firearm...not one concealed in the console or on my person. LEO's find out you have a permit when your DL is run. I've never been asked if i was armed or to show my permit when stopped in TN or elsewhere.

Anywho, I find nowadays, it's easiest to shove my pride up my butt, kiss the cops hind end, and shine him on to the best of my ability. Treat him like a king, and do my swearing and griping a mile or two later. Kinda like a prostate exam, nobody wants one, just grit your teeth, get it over with, and get the heck out as fast as possible. Then there's usually not any reason for red flags, just pretend to be another member of the sheeple flock.:)

I wouldnt go to all that trouble, but just keep in mind... weather its a Dr. performing that prostate exam, or a Police officer pulling you over..... keep in mind, theoretically of course... THEY BOTH HAVE THIER HANDS CLOSE TOO YOUR BALLS!

BTW, our Patrol and Traffic units have audio / video documentation. And, speaking as a supervisor who handles citizen complaints, I'll let someone tell me their story BEFORE I let them know about this.

95% of the time, after I check the video, the complainer is LYING THEIR ASS OFF.

In this day and age I don't understand how anyone can think they are not being recorded at a traffic stop. Do they really think you won't check the video?

Audio/Video in police units is one of the best things to happen. Not only does it show what really happened (for either side), but it also provides immense enjoyment when they show it on TV. :)

Guest Chip Holland
I wouldnt go to all that trouble, but just keep in mind... weather its a Dr. performing that prostate exam, or a Police officer pulling you over..... keep in mind, theoretically of course... THEY BOTH HAVE THIER HANDS CLOSE TOO YOUR BALLS!

LOL

+1

Guest Chip Holland
Just out of curiosity for our LEOs, I'm an licensed armed guard, do you want me to produce my Armed Guard License along with my HCP, or instead of, when I'm in uniform?

In uniform your permit is no good to you. It has to be your Armed Guard license.

Guest Merlin1

Although I live here in Tenn. My son is a State Trooper in Ohio. His reccomend is always keep your hands on the wheel, and inform. It puts them at ease and shows you have no intention of hiding anything. I use the tact "Officer, before we get started you need to know something. I have an HCP and am currently carrying it on my hip. For both our peace of mind, how do you wish to procede?"

Always got a thanks from the LEO!

Although I live here in Tenn. My son is a State Trooper in Ohio. His reccomend is always keep your hands on the wheel, and inform.....

I agree with you and would probably inform in any state, but to be technical within the overall debate, Ohio has "must inform" statute and TN does not.

- OS

Guest grimel
Yet ANOTHER reason the few (very few) good cops have a hard way to go.

I'd say MOST at least 3:1 are good guys trying to do their job.

That said, I'd pay good money to watch a few of the TGO LEO contingent get 5 min each with this butt muncher behind a closed door.

Guest grimel
I've only had one bad experience (and that was before I had a HCP) with an LEO. All the others (except for one constable) have been very professional and I've usually ended up cutting up with them regardless if I got a ticket or not.

I've had my share of idiots, but, the good ones far out weight the bad ones. I was SOOOOO happy one of the THP stopped an ran his lights while I changed a tire on the side of I-40 east bound on the big hill between Crossville and Harriman! Wouldn't even let me buy him a cup of coffee.

Had a waiter that was a real jerk once too... but I still go to restaurants. It's just a "Life Tax". We're all going to have to deal with jerks in life, some might where a badge, others may not. Just part of life.

I'm stealing that whether you like it or not! :popcorn: