Mosin Nagant dry firing

tercel89

My son has become an A/B student and is about to graduate high school and has been accepted to college and will study to be a history teacher so I am a proud daddy ! So I have given him a few presents and one is a Mosin Nagant M44 . He always liked their ruggedness and simple design . I am asking you guys if dry firing is ok for the Mosins ? I have dry fired a few of mine only to "decock" them . But will it affect or hurt the firing pins or chamber ? His is still covered in cosmoline and well preserved. He will have a time cleaning it LOL .

Any information is appreciated !

I own several Mosins, and I've never heard of any short-term issues with dry-firing. As you say, they are pretty rugged and, while not totally indestructible, they were designed to take lots and lots of abuse. 

The biggest issue I can see with continued repeated dry-firing is the potential to cause issues with firing pin over-penetration due to a weakened or damaged pin spring or mis-calibrated firing pin shaft (the screw adjustment at very the rear of the bolt), and possible headspace issues if the bolt is worn or mis-matched to the firearm. Headspace can be checked or monitored with headspace gauges, and the firing pin penetration depth can be easily checked as go/no go with the standard Mosin multi-tool. Granted, the issues I mention are pretty rare with most arsenal-refurbished examples, but if the serial number on the bolt doesn't match the number on the barrel, it's not a bad idea to check the headspace just to be on the safe side.

Of course, the phrase "continued repeated dry-firing" is somewhat subjective, occasional dry-fire sighting practice and dry-firing during the cleaning/ ops-check procedure shouldn't be an issue at all.

As far as cleaning the cosmoline, it's a great father/son project-- I did the same with my son when I gave him a Mosin for Christmas when he was 21. He truly learned to appreciate the benefits of a thorough cleaning job, and in turn it fostered in him a sense of responsibility and diligence in terms of general firearms maintenance.

Edited by tartanphantom

I see no problem whatever with dry firing the Mosin.  The firing pin is a big piece of steel.

The previous poster mentioned that head space issues could develop.  A mosin headspace guage is inexpensive and easy to use. 

Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Mosin-Nagant-action-rifle-cleaning/dp/B001FKUL4E  kit, $8.20, includes headspace gauge.

I would dry fire any of mine as much as I wanted.  My understanding is that the risk, which is small, is that the firing pin could break, though Mosin firing pins don't cost much.

Cool and thanks guys. He isn't going to constantly dry fire it like you would with a Glock practicing and all but I figure I'd ask just to make sure. Since it will be new to him and he will probably be excited I figure he will dry fire it a few times . I'm gonna let him get the cosmoline off the way I usually do by using kerosene and scrubbing it with a toothbrush.

Cool and thanks guys. He isn't going to constantly dry fire it like you would with a Glock practicing and all but I figure I'd ask just to make sure. Since it will be new to him and he will probably be excited I figure he will dry fire it a few times . I'm gonna let him get the cosmoline off the way I usually do by using kerosene and scrubbing it with a toothbrush.

It hasn't hurt either of mine. They are the proverbial anvil of the bolt action rifle world.

• Like 1

So , can you tell me a simple way to de-prime a Berdan primed case that doesn't require too many tools I do't have ? Thanks !

RCBS makes A berdan decapping tool.  http://www.rcbs.com/Products/Case-Preparation/Accessories/Berdan-Decapping-Tool.aspx

I've done it placing the case in a vise with some leather around the case and a small center punch.  Another way is hydraulics.  Using a wood dowel, does not have to be an exact fit but close to filling the mouth of the case.  Fill the case with water and rest the case on a washer that with a hole that's just slightly larger than the primmer.  give the dowel a good smack with a persuasion tool.  The primmer will pop out and you may receive a little splatter of water.  This method is not recommended for large quantities but it works.

• Like 2