BCG thoughts?

justincase

Ok,

I'm building a new AR and have a lot of great components going into it. I'm needing a new BCG for it but unsure if I want to try something new.  The rifle will have a 14.5 barrel and used as my new primary rifle for carbine classes I'd like to take, etc....

I've used or have , DD, Noveske, BCM, LMT, KAC ( old rifle) BCG's and never any issues. I've been researching and found a lot and narrowed down to these.

Lantac BCG- http://www.lantac-usa.com/AR15-M16-M4-Rifle-Accessories/landing-page/556NIB.html

EraThr3 Enhanced BCG- http://www.erathr3.com/collections/weaponry-accessories/products/azimuth-carrier-group

V7 weapons BCG ( melonite version) - http://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/collections/upper-parts/products/melonite-bcg

or the old trusty mentioned earlier

all opinions welcome as I'm looking for additional opinions/ info.

thanks in advance

Edited by justincase
I always thought I was happy with my BCG's and this Nib stuff was hogwash. After using a Nib carrier and bolt I can definitely see the benefits. Cleaning is much quicker and easier. I can't say that they "run" any better than a mil spec, but they making the cleaning process much quicker to me.
  • Like 3

I always thought I was happy with my BCG's and this Nib stuff was hogwash. After using a Nib carrier and bolt I can definitely see the benefits. Cleaning is much quicker and easier. I can't say that they "run" any better than a mil spec, but they making the cleaning process much quicker to me.

I picked up two of PSA's NIB BCGs when they went on sale.  Like you, I like them for their ability to clean up well and they run a bit better when not as wet as milspec.  But if they were anymore expensive than standard I would of went with milspec..

If what you have has run your AR without fail, why change?  Unless you are after the aesthetics or maybe lightening one up etc., I would go with what you have.

this is for a new AR build so I don't have a BCG for it..not taking one out of another either.. I do agree though with why change something that is not broke philosophy.. just looking for opinions and/ or ideas

Edited by justincase

I picked up two of PSA's NIB BCGs when they went on sale. Like you, I like them for their ability to clean up well and they run a bit better when not as wet as milspec. But if they were anymore expensive than standard I would of went with milspec..

Yeah I hear ya. I guess at that point it's all about what your time is worth. My time isn't worth paying much more money for NIB lol

Me and some buddies at my last job built about 8 ARs with various NiB and nitride BCGs we found on sale here and there. The cheapest were around $100 and the most expensive was just over $200.

We didn't run 10K rounds and we aren't what you'd call operators by any stretch, but we shot them a LOT and compared notes a lot. The consensus in our small group was the NiB, but we suspected the nitride would hold up longer even though none of us are close to wearing anything out yet.

For my personal use and taste, I wouldn't give you a nickel for the difference I saw between the cheapest black nitride BCG from AIM and the most expensive nitride bolt in the group. However, you could tell the cheapest NiB (from AIM) from the good ones.

What length gas system are you running? Check out the Adams Arms XLP gas piston kit with NiB BC: http://www.adamsarms.net/products/conversion-kits/xlp-gas-block

I run the AA Pistol Length XLP kit with NiB BC and VDI carrier parts on my Mega Pistol with Spikes Tactical 8.1 inch cold hammer forged double chrome lined FN barrel: http://www.adamsarms.net/pistol-pdw-length-piston-kit-xlp-no-rail and http://www.adamsarms.net/vdi-carrier-parts

If what you have has run your AR without fail, why change?  Unless you are after the aesthetics or maybe lightening one up etc., I would go with what you have.

What Omega said. 

I can't think you're going to find some kind of massive quality upgrade over DD, Noveske, BCM, or any other brand you listed as having previously used.

thanks but I will stay DI no piston for me.  Thank everyone for the input also. I most likely will get noveske BCG as they only 150 shipped

Just curious as to why?

I like both for different reasons, so not loyal to any one system. It really depends on application and intended use for me.

I've got a BCM bcg in my go to AR but I've not had any problems with PSA or Bushmaster.

Depending on how many classes you're going to take and what kinda classes they are, like say your doing 4 3 day classes, I'd get 2 BCM complete BGCs and call it good.

Have you shot it in the closed position yet? I've been wanting to make a cheap pistol for my truck and I really want it stowed in the center consol.

I haven't got to fire it yet with the folder. Will report back soon as we thaw out and I get to a range. :up:
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...