Bullet molds.

Guest Astra900

Guest Astra900

Anyone know anyone who can RE-bore an old bullet mold to something new?

I have an old Hensley and Gibbs .38 wadcutter. It's in great shape on the outside, but there is some light pitting on the inside, and it casts a bullet SO oversized, it's REALLY difficult to size them. It's not worth the effort being as i have several other molds.

The number of custom mold makers out there is actually higher than I thought, but so far no one is interested in boring any "customer provided" mold blocks. I can sort of understand the liability and all, but they are junk to me now, if the mold maker scraps them I've lost nothing.

Any ideas? I'll keep looking.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Astra900

It's a .38 now. I have an identical mold in .45. The hole spacing is the same, so I know there is enough material there to do it. I'd like the .38 mold chambers bored out to make a totally different design of .45 Thereby utilizing a great quality mold and giving me a new bullet design to play with. I was a machinist for 12 years, I know it can be done. If I had access to the right tooling I might even try it myself. Alas I don't do that anymore, and my lathe is ill suited to such work. It would be worth the money to do this, Hensley and Gibbs are some of the finest molds ever made. SUPER heavy duty sprue plate, and handles. It's worth a shot

Guest Astra900

HA! been there dun that. The manual guys called us button monkeys.

Thank God I don't have to make chips any more! I'm so sick of having a job to do today that needs to be finished yesterday. I finally just give them my final program; Circular interpolate your thumb up your a22! no coolant, 100 inches per minute, repeat program infinite!

Astra this might be a long shot. I would think it would be pretty simple to find a dimensioned drawing of the new bullet you want on the internet. Most good machine shops should be able to take that drawing and modify the mold. I have had several items machined in the past from an accurate drawing and a verbal description of what I wanted done. In Murfreesboro, I would recommend U.S. Machine & Tool. It might be worth giving them a call. David Garvin can probably answer your question over the phone.