TSA pat down.

I'm on a flight heading down to Tampa now, but for the first time in my life I walked through the scanner in the TSA line and a very enthusiastic TSA agent said, "SIR! Stop! Look at all this on the monitor! I can't let you pass without an examination."

I looked at the monitor and there were hot spots all over my body, which was laughable. He pointed at my belt and chewed me out about wearing it even though it has nothing metal on it and I've passed through security with it approx 20 times without incident. It's a 5.11 gun belt.

Anyway, he brings me over to the side and initiates a pat down.. Which I've had before but NOTHING like this. Very invasive going through the top lining of my jeans then edging into my groin area. I couldn't help but laugh at how ridiculous it was.

Was this a random screening or did this guy just fancy me? Maybe it's time I trim the beard....

Makes me think of that video of the young girl circulating right now where she got the same pat down but it looked downright invasive..

I swear some TSA folks just want to make people uncomfortable because they don't like their jobs and are themselves uncomfortable. Perhaps one should play against their expectations and express some ...uhm... exaggerated enjoyment during the pat downs. "ooh yeah, that's nice, more to the left, that's it... ooh... yeah...".  I wonder if that would speeds things up a bit.

• Like 2

The scanner not only scans for metal but any items that show thicker than they should be, so denser areas will show.  I have had surgeries from a femur fracture that have left scar tissue on my hip which show up on the scanner.  If any anomalies like that show up you will get some personal attention, either a patdown, or like happens to me quite often, wiped down for explosive residue. 

When active duty, I would set off all their alarms with all the residue I and my bags had on it; but they usually let me through after I notified them that I had been overseas; not sure how they handle that now.

• Like 1

I might get yelled at here. I'd rather be uncomfortable, or have other people uncomfortable than to have someone sneak a dangerous item on a plane. I'll take security over comfort.

I hear what you're saying, but where is the line? Everyone is different, of course. Ben Franklin had a saying about situations like this.
  • Like 4

I might get yelled at here.  I'd rather be uncomfortable, or have other people uncomfortable than to have someone sneak a dangerous item on a plane.  I'll take security over comfort.

During a recent test, the TSA failed to find 95% of items the testers say they should have caught.

I would much rather have freedom than a little - in truth, almost non-existent - amount of perceived security.

• Like 4
  • Admin Team

I might get yelled at here.  I'd rather be uncomfortable, or have other people uncomfortable than to have someone sneak a dangerous item on a plane.  I'll take security over comfort.

The problem with that is that the TSA is more about security theater than it is about actual security.

I haven't been as safe on an airplane as I was on September 10, 2001 when I flew into New York and simply placed my Spyderco Rescue in the tray as i passed through the metal detector and picked it up on the other side.

If they wanted real security on airplanes, they'd let the airlines do it themselves, price it accordingly and suffer market consequences for lapses.
  • Like 4

If they wanted real security on airplanes, they'd let the airlines do it themselves, price it accordingly and suffer market consequences for lapses.

Bam! Wish I could have said that earlier! Feel free to fly Jihadi Airways for $19 each way. I'll fly We're Packin' Airways.

When it comes to threats from passengers, airplane security was taken care of after the cockpit doors were locked from the inside, and they stopped allowing small blades or trade tools.  Everything else, including the TSA has been for show. 

• Like 1

The problem with that is that the TSA is more about security theater than it is about actual security.

I haven't been as safe on an airplane as I was on September 10, 2001 when I flew into New York and simply placed my [b]Spyderco Rescue in the tray as i passed through the metal detector and picked it up on the other side.[/b]

Yep. I remember flying all over the country with a Spydie and a Surefire flashlight. At least I had options back then.

I haven't flown since 9/11 because of the, "Security Theater" BS.

I would much rather invest my time and drive. I'm not saying I'll never fly, but I am saying I never want to fly...not if I have a realistic choice.

• Admin Team

The sad thing is that the airlines are so tied to the .gov's money that they're suffering market consequences anyway.

In my company we have an informal rule that if it's under 6.5 hours by car, we won't even consider flying.  Basically - by the time you get to the airport, suffer through the complimentary groping, deal with delays and connections, and get out the other end, you'll have spent that amount of time anyway.

• Like 1

Flew yesterday to Palm Springs, no pat down, but I have in the past...flying is a total pita...if I can get there in 10 hours by car, I drive.

Agree.  With all the TSA crap, hidden fees, and seating becoming smaller (while I'm getting bigger :-\ ) I find it easier just to drive.  No screaming kids and plenty of legroom.  And I can stop for real food and use a real bathroom. :2cents:

Totally agree. Schneier is an over-hyped hippie douche..... but he's spot on with his stuff on The Scare Agency. I've made it through with my Kershaw on MULTIPLE occasions when I forgot to pack it.

And besides, a suicide bomber or active shooter to the security line is the most likely point of attack anyway. Easily accessible with almost no resistance, lots of people crammed close together with nowhere to run...... 

You are assuming that they are actually doing security when in reality it's just a show and they miss most weapons that pass through.

• Like 1

In a word, I got off an airplane Oct 1983 and after the roller coaster ride I had just gone through I swore I'd never get back on another one and haven't. If I can't drive there I ain't going.

Wow, that's crazy. I did 28 flights last year all over the country and that's really not much compared to a lot of the people on planes with me. I did the TSA Pre Check and as long as I am flying on one of the major airlines, I can pretty much walk through security like it was pre Sept 11. It's actually kinda scary because I am sure a ton of people who would like to do others harm could pass pre check and pretty much walk through with anything they want.