Recoil Management, especially for those of us that are aging.

Pete123

Many of us on TGO are 50 or older and have starting having more aging related health issues, though the topic really applies to anyone.

Earlier this week my left shoulder, which I shoot with, dislocated.  Even if my shoulder were fine, I don't like heavy recoil.  

Next point is that I love the old military bolt action rifles more than anything.  They all have powerful rounds and several of them have straight stocks, which appears to send most of the force directly into the shoulder.  

One of these days I'll start reloading and can manage recoil with lighter loads.  I expect that is probably the best solution.  For now I use a wearable recoil pad, which is pictured below.  It's made by caldwell and costs $20-25 dollars.

The last time I went to the range I took an M39 (Mosin family) and a K98 in 8mm.  I shot between 35 and 40 rounds and only stopped because we wanted to shoot pistols as well.  Recoil was a complete non issue. 

I use the Caldwell model with 1/2 inch of foam.  They have one with 1/4 inch.  I would recommend the thinnest one that does the job.  I'll wind up getting a small one.  The reason I recommend thinest that will work is because I'm working on becoming a good shot with a rifle.  The pad gets in the way and makes it more challenging to use the same position every time.

Having said that, it enables me to achieve what I want and allows me to shoot without worrying about my shoulder.

699899.jpg

I shoot sporting clays a lot using a Browning O/U 525.  A few years ago, my buddy and I often said towards the end of the round, boy if I could shoot the course again, I would score a whole lot better.  So one Saturday we did.  We shot 100 rounds of the morning, ate lunch, and shot another 100 rounds that afternoon.  That evening and next day, I have never had my shoulder hurt as bad, and the bruise was incredible.  From that point on, in my sporting clays jacket I have the Browning recoil pad.  It truly made a difference, but btw too wimpy to have a second round of sporting clays on the same day ever again. 

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/recoil%20pad_zpstlnemqba.jpg.html]recoil%20pad_zpstlnemqba.jpg[/URL]

Yes, I can see that issue coming for me as well. But unlike you Pete, I don't usually shoot anything more than 556

or 762.39. So not a great problem yet for rifle.

But am beginning to feel 45 in the wrist and hand. Just beginning, but I know it's there.

So I'll watch this thread for advice of all kinds.

I'm not over 50 yet, but I have the same wearable pad as the OP for the same reason. A couple clips thru the Mosin and a couple through the M48 is more than enough. I love shooting them but the steel butt plates are tough. Makes me think about the guys who slogged through the mud and cold and shot these things all day long.
After a couple hundred rounds with the pistols I feel recoil effects in my wrist and worse in my elbow. A friend suggested I try a tennis elbow strap about 10 bucks in any drug store. I was surprised at the relief. Now I've got to look for something similar for the wrist. I may try a bit of ace bandage too.

I'm 60 now, and have never liked heavy recoil, rifle or handgun, causes me to flinch after just a few rounds.  I avoid shotguns as well.  I shoot +P in my 357 when I do shoot it, and 223 is enough for me, maybe 243.  Getting older is not for sissies.  LOL

• Like 2

Unless I am hunting, or doing some training, I use a Caldwell lead sled.  Using ARs you get a much reduced recoil, so I maximize my use of those.  I may look into one of those shoulder pads though, specially for my 303 British, it is sporterized with a straight stock and kicks like a mule.

I'm 60 now, and have never liked heavy recoil, rifle or handgun, causes me to flinch after just a few rounds.  I avoid shotguns as well.  I shoot +P in my 357 when I do shoot it, and 223 is enough for me, maybe 243.  Getting older is not for sissies.  LOL

I've reached the point where I just shoot 223 now in long guns, but still like to shoot my 1911 45's. I just turned 69 last year and it seams like over night, getting old catches up with you. :confused:

• Like 3

I am not that old, but I have never liked recoil.  I get headaches pretty easily from it.  

One of the best, under talked about benefits of a suppressor is the amount of recoil it takes out.  Shooting my TRG 308 suppressed is like shooting a 223.  I don't need anything over a 30 cal so I will use my suppressor every chance I get.  The only significant recoil gun I have is a 300 WSM, but I only bought it to use for hunting larger game (Elk/Moose/Bear) and you don't even feel those shots when you take them.

I've reached the point where I just shoot 223 now in long guns, but still like to shoot my 1911 45's. I just turned 69 last year and it seams like over night, getting old catches up with you. :confused:

Brother, you are so right. I swear it just doesn't seem possible that I'll be 64 in a couple months. I really feel like the last 30 years have blown by like a tornado.

It just can't have all gone by so quickly.

As far as shooting, I like 9 and 45 best. I throw in a little 556 and some 762x39 just to shake thing us a little. Edited by hipower