Any thoughts on the Ruger SR-9

Guest cdsusong

Guest cdsusong

I had the chance to get my hands on a Ruger SR-9 this past weekend and fell in love. Now since then I have read and heard about a recall? I'm sure it has been addressed by now from Ruger. I normally shoot Glocks but I love the way this one fits my hand and 17 rounds. Has anyone had experience with this gun and can give me any yeas or neas? I am actually considering selling my G26 to purchase the Ruger.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They had an issue with the very first batch but that has been addressed AFAIK.

Very solid and well thought out guns. Adjustable sights, ambi safety, high cap mags and a backstrap that can be flipped over for either curved or flat contour.

We have one in our rental case and it's been a solid performer and has helped to sell those who are still on the fence.

Can't beat it for the money in today's market.

Ruger has a history of doing recalls, not because their products are defective, but because they are very keen to avoid even the slightest possibility of a lawsuit.

The SR9 (and LCP) have both been recalled because that there is a minute possibility that if you drop one off a 10 foot ladder and something hits the trigger upon impact that the gun could go off. Seriously - this is the reason for the recall...the CA ladder drop test.

The SR9 is a decent gun...bore axis as low as a CZ75, but 1" thick. It would be a spectacular gun if there weren't so many others in the same category.

I have put about 400 rounds through mine. The only thing I don't like is the mag release. It is stiff and is not getting better. Other than that it is a great gun.

bh

Has anyone had experience with this gun and can give me any yeas or neas? I am actually considering selling my G26 to purchase the Ruger.

I haven't actually handled an SR9.

One of the big selling points is supposed to be how slim it is.

According to the specs, a Glock 17 is 1.18" and the SR9 is 1.27". The SR9 is longer, taller, and heavier than a G17. They both hold the same number of rounds.

The SR9 may have nicer ergos than the Glock. I really, really like the safety. (Wish Glock had that) I like the round indicator. I don't really care for the mag disconnect safety but I understand that can be removed.

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying to decide between the SR9 and the M&P and the one noticeable standout feature was the trigger. The M&P was MUCH nicer than the SR9. I'm sure it gets better with use but you can usually tell what to expect from the NIB trigger pull. I got the M&P.:D

Guest Rugerman
I was trying to decide between the SR9 and the M&P and the one noticeable standout feature was the trigger. The M&P was MUCH nicer than the SR9. I'm sure it gets better with use but you can usually tell what to expect from the NIB trigger pull. I got the M&P.:stare:

I think that was wise if trigger pull is important to you. Ruger semi-auto centerfires have just adequate triggers. Nothing amazing, and sometimes even bad.

i'm on my 2nd SR9 and all i can say is that it kicks ass. gun snobs can like it or not, i've heard/read so much BS about it by people who've never actually shot one ... that it's kind of funny. the new trigger is as good or better than any other striker-fired gun out there excepting only the M&P's (i kind of wish ruger ripped off the M&P trigger...).

here's the deal, ruger ripped off glock (take the slides off them next to one and other and take a look...) and put their gun inside of a way better grip/frame and then added a thumb safety ala 1911 and their loaded chamber indicator as well as their mag disconnect safety (which can be removed in 30 seconds...), they tried to make the trigger NOT look like a glock at first (you know.. ooh's and ahhh's), didn't work right, then they ended up making the trigger better than their first try, and just about, EXACTLY like a glock. that's about it, it's an awesome gun, and it's one of the few out there that's maybe underpriced.

i've owned a G17, G19, H&K USP9 + P30, M&P9, beretta's, taurus's, sigs and a Walther P99 for 9mm's (i don't collect, i try to upgrade)... all around (performance/carry), the SR9 is the best one i've ever owned (while i'm not rich, i can afford any 9mm i want... as long as it's no more than 2 at a time, if i want to stay happily married).

i was a die hard G17 guy for a long time, but always wished they made a better feeling grip and maybe had a thumb safety for added piece of mind w/ one in the pipe... that's the SR9.

my first one saw 4000+ rounds in less than 3 months and never messed up ever, no issues whatsoever with every ammo i tried, gun clean or gun dirty, i got rid of it when i saw a black slide model that looks-wise i liked better, and now 1500 or so through my black one with 100% reliability... shot steel in gallatin this morning, 32 degrees cold, hadn't cleaned it from a 250 round range session late last week, enjoyed 200 rounds of hiccup free shooting...

obviously i'm a fan.

Edited by CK1