Rifle build parts

-boatman-

I've only built or owned ar15 carbines but now doing a rifle build. I'm using a Magpul PRS stock. I've ordered buffer tube, buffer, and spring. What's a buffer tube extension and do I need it? If so what is it for? Do I need the end plate with a rifle tube. They come in the carbine kits but I did not see one in the picture of the tube. It seems every part in the rifle buffer needs to be ordered separately and having no experience with this type of ar It gets a little confusing.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

....What's a buffer tube extension and do I need it? If so what is it for?

Perhaps you just have terminology mixed up? An AR buffer tube is more properly called the receiver extension. Unless you are just referring to the small spacer that converts from A1 to A2 stock length on a rifle receiver extension (buffer tube).

If spacer is indeed actually what you mean, I don't know about that Magpul stock, probably is A2 spec, so would need the spacer if so.  Also, some rifle tubes come already in A2 length -- the only one I ever bought (not too long ago) was A1 with included spacer for A2 which has been sort of standard through the years ever since they changed milspec for the standard rifle stocks.

BT-RtubeKit-2.jpg?1446839088

Do I need the end plate with a rifle tube. They come in the carbine kits but I did not see one in the picture of the tube. It seems every part in the rifle buffer needs to be ordered separately and having no experience with this type of ar It gets a little confusing.

No endplate with rifle receiver extension, the stock holds in the takedown pin spring and detente. As a matter of fact, if you somehow tried to use one, the tube wouldn't reach the buffer retaining pin to hold it in place, as its thread length is designed to screw in flush and that's that.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

The stock mounts to A1 and A2 rifle-length receiver extension tube without A2 spacer so I guess I'm good there. What had me second guessing myself was the "not included" in this by Magpul:  "Mounts to rifle-length receiver extension tube without A2 spacer (not included)". I wasn't sure if they were talking about spacer or tube.

Everything makes more sense since you explained it. If I had needed more parts I wanted to go ahead and get it ordered. Thanks for the good info.

The stock mounts to A1 and A2 rifle-length receiver extension tube without A2 spacer so I guess I'm good there. What had me second guessing myself was the "not included" in this by Magpul:  "Mounts to rifle-length receiver extension tube without A2 spacer (not included)". I wasn't sure if they were talking about spacer or tube.

Everything makes more sense since you explained it. If I had needed more parts I wanted to go ahead and get it ordered. Thanks for the good info.

Well, hope it helps. I just looked at it on Magpul site and that's sort of confusing still to me.  Meaning, I don't see how it could mount to both an A1 and an A2 length tube and still come flush with lower, since there's quite a diff in length, but I guess it has some sort of internal thingie (tech term) that compensates for that somehow. Or something.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

The buffer tubes are the same. When they say it fits either A1 or A2 they are talking about guns with either an A1 or A2 STOCK already installed. The difference is one STOCK requires the use of a spacer while the other does not but the tubes themselves are the same.

Any rifle buffer tube/receiver extension will work. If you have a stock that uses the spacer just remove the spacer and install the stock.

Again, the A1 or A2 designation has nothing to do with the tube itself but refers to the type of stock already installed.

ETA:

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=127&t=623571

Edited by Dolomite_supafly