New Ruger American line of pistols forthcoming

musicman

Well I stopped by the LGS today and got to fondle one. I put a nice firm grip down on it a few times and ended up with a hotspot on my thumb knuckle. It's not for me apparently.

Steelharp was working his butt off selling things left, right, and center so I didn't get a chance to introduce myself.

You have plenty of handguns already XJ, you need a Mosin next ...

Mine is the best pistol I've ever handled.  I've already put 1000 rounds through it and it hasn't so much as hiccuped.  Running flawlessly.  I've been carrying it for a few months now and its not bad to carry.  I'd recommend one to everyone I know. Hell, I've already ordered three more.  

So did you get one way early ? I thought these were just released ?

So did you get one way early ? I thought these were just released ?

I was under the impression that these had just been released.  How long have they actually been available?

Sarcasm.  I was just saying what I thought a few people here expected me to say.  I am a Ruger fanboy but I am also honest.  When I actually get my hands on one, I'll give an honest report.  

• Like 2

Sarcasm.  I was just saying what I thought a few people here expected me to say.  I am a Ruger fanboy but I am also honest.  When I actually get my hands on one, I'll give an honest report.  

Oh ok , I'm blonde so I don't always catch on so fast :rofl: .  I am a Glock fan boy but I am very interested in this Ruger. I got a P95 , P89 , and P94 . All fat and ugly but work extremely fine . I am hoping these work just as fine. I never got any of the SR series , but I like I said , I have their first line of polymer guns , the P95 and it has been great .

Edited by tercel89

Well I stopped by the LGS today and got to fondle one. I put a nice firm grip down on it a few times and ended up with a hotspot on my thumb knuckle. It's not for me apparently.

Steelharp was working his butt off selling things left, right, and center so I didn't get a chance to introduce myself.

Speak up next time! I always have a minute for a fellow TGO'er!

I picked up mine last night.  I have not had a chance to get to the range and probably won't until Friday.  So this is just initial impressions WITHOUT firing the gun.  

I'll start with some pictures and then get into my thoughts.   

IMG_6936_zps0prugrxa.jpg

IMG_6937_zpsqfx426ii.jpg

IMG_6938_zpsq8jatjfb.jpg

IMG_6939_zps1lzwzgww.jpg

IMG_6940_zpstjl32amr.jpg

IMG_6942_zpsxlznceqr.jpg

IMG_6943_zpsu4pof8vc.jpg

IMG_6944_zpsqn0mpm8v.jpg

IMG_6945_zpsimlp92qp.jpg

IMG_6941_zpszmjbprju.jpg

First, I'll address the issues have come up from other reviewers.   

1.   Thumb hot spot thing.   Without shooting, I can say that I understand what people are talking about.  I can feel the area, but I don't think it will be an issue for me.  I have fat hands and plenty of padding.  I do think the butt of the gun needs to be a little more ergonomically shaped.  The right side is fine but the left side could use some contouring.   MAC and other people have mentioned trying to shave it a little with a dremel or something.  I don't think its possible.  The last picture above shows inside the grip and its not overly thick plastic.  There is plenty of room between the "chassis" and the plastic frame.  Ruger could definitely remold the grip without touching the chassis or parts and possibly fix this.   

2.  Full mag releases slide.  I was able to make this happen.  However, I had to REALLY slam the mag into the gun.  Inserting the mag like I normally would, the gun never did this.  It does give me concern that the slide catch is weak and will only get weaker as the gun breaks in.  This is something that I will be keeping an eye on.  Its interesting to me that this is a problem since I CANNOT use my SR9c slide catch as a release.  I have to slingshot the SR9c and thats fine since its my preferred method anyways.  Just seems a huge leap to go from a slide lock only to this thing.  

3.  Trigger.   This is completely subjective.  Every person that handles it is going to have a different opinion.  Personally, I think the trigger is on par with most of the other guns on the market.  It has a slightly longer than average reset but the pull weight is perfect.  It breaks pretty cleanly.  It does have a little bit of a spongy feel to it but I think that will work itself out as it wears in.  Just dry firing in the house last night, I started to feel it get a little crisper.  The mechanism looks familiar to me and I suspect that there will be some improvement kits in the future as well.  

I don't remember what other issues people had.  But those three stuck out.   

Some of my other thoughts.  

I absolutely love the serrations on the slide.  I think they are perfect.  Great texture to provide grip but without cutting into me or keeping dna samples.  I hope that this design becomes a staple across the Ruger line.  

The interchangeable grip panels are a great concept. Each definitely provides a different grip.  Because of my fat palms I like running small grips.  I have the smallest panel on it now.  I already know the largest panel is going to be too big for me so Its pretty much out of the running.  I will be taking the medium with me to the range and testing it out under fire.  The biggest problem that I have is that they don't seem grippy enough for me. I don't need overly grippy, but a little more texture would have been nice.  I've always been happy with my SR9c's sides.  Something similar would have been nice.  

Overall, I'm not disappointed with my purchase.  I like the gun enough so far that I intend to keep it.  But I do look forward to my range time with it.  And I'll form more opinions then.  

It's worth noting that I never intended for this gun to replace my SR9c as my daily carry.  I don't carry full size guns.   I also don't compete or run urban commando classes so this was never going to see a training environment or a timer.  I bought this as another range toy and as a potential suppressor host (when Ruger releases threaded barrels or I send it off to be threaded and three lugged). 

• Like 1

I picked up mine last night.  I have not had a chance to get to the range and probably won't until Friday.  So this is just initial impressions WITHOUT firing the gun.  

I'll start with some pictures and then get into my thoughts.   

IMG_6936_zps0prugrxa.jpg

IMG_6937_zpsqfx426ii.jpg

IMG_6938_zpsq8jatjfb.jpg

IMG_6939_zps1lzwzgww.jpg

IMG_6940_zpstjl32amr.jpg

IMG_6942_zpsxlznceqr.jpg

IMG_6943_zpsu4pof8vc.jpg

IMG_6944_zpsqn0mpm8v.jpg

IMG_6945_zpsimlp92qp.jpg

IMG_6941_zpszmjbprju.jpg

First, I'll address the issues have come up from other reviewers.   

1.   Thumb hot spot thing.   Without shooting, I can say that I understand what people are talking about.  I can feel the area, but I don't think it will be an issue for me.  I have fat hands and plenty of padding.  I do think the butt of the gun needs to be a little more ergonomically shaped.  The right side is fine but the left side could use some contouring.   MAC and other people have mentioned trying to shave it a little with a dremel or something.  I don't think its possible.  The last picture above shows inside the grip and its not overly thick plastic.  There is plenty of room between the "chassis" and the plastic frame.  Ruger could definitely remold the grip without touching the chassis or parts and possibly fix this.   

2.  Full mag releases slide.  I was able to make this happen.  However, I had to REALLY slam the mag into the gun.  Inserting the mag like I normally would, the gun never did this.  It does give me concern that the slide catch is weak and will only get weaker as the gun breaks in.  This is something that I will be keeping an eye on.  Its interesting to me that this is a problem since I CANNOT use my SR9c slide catch as a release.  I have to slingshot the SR9c and thats fine since its my preferred method anyways.  Just seems a huge leap to go from a slide lock only to this thing.  

3.  Trigger.   This is completely subjective.  Every person that handles it is going to have a different opinion.  Personally, I think the trigger is on par with most of the other guns on the market.  It has a slightly longer than average reset but the pull weight is perfect.  It breaks pretty cleanly.  It does have a little bit of a spongy feel to it but I think that will work itself out as it wears in.  Just dry firing in the house last night, I started to feel it get a little crisper.  The mechanism looks familiar to me and I suspect that there will be some improvement kits in the future as well.  

I don't remember what other issues people had.  But those three stuck out.   

Some of my other thoughts.  

I absolutely love the serrations on the slide.  I think they are perfect.  Great texture to provide grip but without cutting into me or keeping dna samples.  I hope that this design becomes a staple across the Ruger line.  

The interchangeable grip panels are a great concept. Each definitely provides a different grip.  Because of my fat palms I like running small grips.  I have the smallest panel on it now.  I already know the largest panel is going to be too big for me so Its pretty much out of the running.  I will be taking the medium with me to the range and testing it out under fire.  The biggest problem that I have is that they don't seem grippy enough for me. I don't need overly grippy, but a little more texture would have been nice.  I've always been happy with my SR9c's sides.  Something similar would have been nice.  

Overall, I'm not disappointed with my purchase.  I like the gun enough so far that I intend to keep it.  But I do look forward to my range time with it.  And I'll form more opinions then.  

It's worth noting that I never intended for this gun to replace my SR9c as my daily carry.  I don't carry full size guns.   I also don't compete or run urban commando classes so this was never going to see a training environment or a timer.  I bought this as another range toy and as a potential suppressor host (when Ruger releases threaded barrels or I send it off to be threaded and three lugged). 

Thanks Capbyard for the pics and the information. I hope it goes good for you. Like I said in my thread , I liked it all except for the spongyness of the trigger and the reset. I just feel that if I were to try and double tap with it that I would short-stroke the trigger .

I will say that in one week I have went from thinkin it was a ugly gun to now thinking it's a nice looking gun.  Like I said , I will wait just a little longer to see what happens with it. So I haven't given up on it . until then I'll still use my Ruger P89 , P94 and P95 as my "Ruger American " pistols :usa:

I would love to find an animated video of how the firing mechanism and striker system works . It just looks so different from what I am used to.

FWIW, Butch Legg, prez of the Gallatin Gun Club came in and looked one over. He was impressed with the firing system; his comment was, "Looks like they FINALLY got one right."

• Like 1

FWIW, Butch Legg, prez of the Gallatin Gun Club came in and looked one over. He was impressed with the firing system; his comment was, "Looks like they FINALLY got one right."

Steelharp , check out my review on this Ruger . I shot one yesterday . I made a thread on it . Pretty much it was all good excpet for the spongyness of the trigger and the very quite trigger reset . YOu can hardly hear it reset and barely even feel it . But then again I have shot Glocks for 20 yrs and carry one on the job for the last 18 yrs. So maybe it's just me . Like I said in my thread , I will not give up on Ruger . I will wait and see if they fix the trigger and it's reset . I was all set to buy it and had the cash in hand too.

Steelharp , check out my review on this Ruger . I shot one yesterday . I made a thread on it . Pretty much it was all good excpet for the spongyness of the trigger and the very quite trigger reset . YOu can hardly hear it reset and barely even feel it . But then again I have shot Glocks for 20 yrs and carry one on the job for the last 18 yrs. So maybe it's just me . Like I said in my thread , I will not give up on Ruger . I will wait and see if they fix the trigger and it's reset . I was all set to buy it and had the cash in hand too.

I'm not wearing ear pro but I can hear mine.  I can definitely feel it.  But I do think its audibly weak compared to other guns, glocks included.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mhYHoXpbU8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwETjRDNzKg

Here's another take on the trigger...comments are its long and can probably be learned. What does that mean? You have to shoot every gun often enough to lean to deal with its little quirks. This reviewer also commented on the lock work as well. Overall...it's just different enough to be a little off putting to someone whose dialed in on other striker fired pistol platforms. My thoughts, only time will tell.

So what holds the fire control assembly in place?

Not sure.  Haven't had a chance to try and take it apart.  I know that the takedown lever goes all the way through so its possible that it is one thing holding the chassis in.  

With respect to the Ruger New Americians (Modular Fire Control Group) Chassis I'm wondering if the manufacturer is considering optional frame shell offerings. From the little I've encountered to date removing and replacing a Ruger NA chassis appears to involve a bit more fiddly work then with a SIG 320. All of that of course is subject to a design modification if said interchangeability becomes a consideration.  

Made it to the range today. I never share pics of targets because I'm a terrible handgunner. I stay on paper but never group well.
Gonna share some pics today though.

I took 250 rounds of mixed type and manufacturer. Not a single malfunction. I did not clean the gun before the range trip. So this is out of the box.

5A10B32E-057D-4477-BDB5-77FD5674741E_zps

7E170721-E9E6-44DB-92F5-91F6A9843BBC_zps

So I was aiming at different parts of the circle for each group. The number next to each group corresponds to the ammo in the above pic. Perfecta seemed to "group" best for me. Regardless of where I was aiming, the gun was always low left. I compensated later to try and start hitting bull but I just couldn't get my hold right.

341AF1D7-D815-4975-A3FD-DAC6A28B9CE9_zps

As for the thumb issue. I could feel it. And I know some people will have a hard time with it. But even though I felt it, it wasn't painful at all.

Trigger reset. Definitely is long. I short stroked the trigger about 5 times though the early mags. But I did get used to it and got pretty decent controlling it. I like the pull on this trigger a lot, just not the reset.

Mag closes slide. Happened twice. Only when I slammed the mag home. Took some effort.

• Like 1