MOS (optics ready) Glock 19 and 17 coming in 2016?

TGO David

• Administrator

Looks like it might be the case...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/12/24/glock-mos-g17-and-g19/

20151121_150702-1.jpg

Rumor mill engage…  One of our readers sent in the above image detailing what appears to be a number of SKUs that very recently dropped into a distributor database.  The SKUs are for Glock G17 and G19 MOS handguns.  For some background on the MOS, we had published a review from Range Day at SHOT 2015. - See more at: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/12/24/glock-mos-g17-and-g19/#sthash.XhfXyVIB.dpuf

That would certainly be interesting and might cause me to order yet another Glock 19.   :)

Sorry for making this two posts. I'm still having IT issues with this forum...

Anyways, I posted the quote from the article because I tend to agree. My opinion might change if I had the chance to shoot something with an optic. I'm certainly open minded but right now I just don't have a desire to own one.

Definitely would be cool however I am of the belief if you need fancy optics and lights to hit something with your pistol you shouldnt own one

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

While I agree if you "need" an optic on a pistol that you're in trouble, for us that don't "need" them they're certainly fun to play with. Don't think I would ever carry a pistol with an optic, regardless of quality
  • Like 1
It's about dang time!

Obviously they have the capability to do it with the other factory MOS models, and with the popularity of these models being milled for MRDSs in the aftermarket, coupled with the fact these exact models are already available overseas, it's time.

I'm betting in the future we see all Glock models compact size and larger available in MOS configuration.
  • Administrator

Hrmmm Glock trying to get the upperhand on dudes who make their money milling slides

Definitely would be cool however I am of the belief if you need fancy optics and lights to hit something with your pistol you shouldnt own one

I'm with you.  I'm also of the belief that if you need something bigger than a 9mm or .40SW to do the job, you shouldn't own one either.  :D

• Like 6

Hrmmm Glock trying to get the upperhand on dudes who make their money milling slides

I think in 30yrs when I'm old, vision on the decline, and generally in need of assistance, a G17 or G19 (I have no doubt they'll still be produced in 30yrs) with an RMR or the future equivalent will be welcome on my nightstand.
  • Authorized Vendor

I doubt you'll be saying that someday when you're older and your eyesight isn't as crisp as it used to be. Using these has helped me stay accurate into my 60's. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Pfft... it's less about eyesight for me as opposed to versatility.  I can shoot fine with irons.  With an RDS you can shoot from eccentric angles so long as you're not so far off center from the optic that you can't see the dot, which could be useful in a fight from a compromised position.  I can also hand a gun with RDS to someone who is not as good with iron sights and tell them "Put the dot on the target, hold it there, squeeze the trigger.  Repeat." and have someone else on my side in the fight with me.

Running a RDS on a handgun has quite a few advantages beyond using it as a range toy or gamer gun.

Where I'd really like to see the pistol red-dot market go is full integration.

Think about this: A factory slide built around the battery compartment and emitter/adjustment mechanism.  The only thing protruding up would be the sight window itself.  This could put the dot right about the same height as a traditional front sight, speeding up acquisition and making "transition" between irons and optic much easier. 

• Like 2

Where I'd really like to see the pistol red-dot market go is full integration.

Think about this: A factory slide built around the battery compartment and emitter/adjustment mechanism. The only thing protruding up would be the sight window itself. This could put the dot right about the same height as a traditional front sight, speeding up acquisition and making "transition" between irons and optic much easier.

This.

And, technology will come to where there is no window at all. Only an electronic dot floating in the air via projection or holographics. Integrate that into the top of the slide, now we are getting somewhere.

I'm not sure I'd call adapter plates an upper hand but it would cut into their market.

Pfft... it's less about eyesight for me as opposed to versatility.  I can shoot fine with irons.  With an RDS you can shoot from eccentric angles so long as you're not so far off center from the optic that you can't see the dot, which could be useful in a fight from a compromised position.  I can also hand a gun with RDS to someone who is not as good with iron sights and tell them "Put the dot on the target, hold it there, squeeze the trigger.  Repeat." and have someone else on my side in the fight with me.

Running a RDS on a handgun has quite a few advantages beyond using it as a range toy or gamer gun.

We just bought a M&P 9 CORE that we are beginning to put through the paces with a Trijicon RMR. My wife loves to shoot but is right hand/ left eye dominant and her right eye is pretty bad. She's practiced a ton and taken plenty of classes but really struggles with seeing the sights without cocking her head every which way. With only about 50 rounds so far with the sight she's cut her typical group in 1/2. Once we get the pistol broken in a bit and I stick an Apex trigger in it I anticipate that getting better. I also FINALLY convinced her to shoot left hand dominant and she knocked the center out of the target at 15 yards. So, we are going to dry fire the heck left handed and also keep working with the RMR and see where she is in about a month.

For me, I found myself chasing the dot a bit. I finally worked into looking for the irons just like normal and the dot started just showing up.

I don't shoot my M&P's enough so I'm going to concentrate on them for the next few months and then start timing some drills and splits and see if there is a difference.

I can tell you that when I'm wearing my bifocals I sometimes have a hard time seeing the irons. I've mostly trained around that but I think it is a sign of things to come for me. I had no problem finding the dot once I got used to looking for it.

I'm also curious about doing some low light work with it. In general I like a pretty dim dot which will probably be fine for the first shot but after that and with a flashlight I will probably want it brighter in general at night.

• Like 1

BTW... speaking of properly sized cartridges, I bought a G29 before we went to Alaska a few years back. I tried like heck to find a 20 but there were none to be had. I've been suppressing a hankering to go pick up a  20 and the other day I found myself at the Cabelas in Bristol. The had a G40 MOS that felt great in my hands. If they'd had a deal with a local TN based shop that could do the deal right then I would have bought it.

I see one of those in my near future and I happen to have a Dr Optic looking for a home... Apparently the stars are aligning...