Sig p226 Legion - Worth it?

mhl6493

Got to handle one of these the other day, and was very impressed...

http://legionseries.com/p226-legion/

My question is, in your opinion, ("Legion Community" marketing gimmick aside), is this pistol worth the money over other p226's, or even over an sp2022?  The price on the one I saw was around $1150.  It seemed to have some very nice upgrades, the trigger was great, and the grips felt wonderful in my hand - but that's a big chunk of change.  Is it worth the asking price from your perspective?

If those were the features I wanted on a new p226 that's a pretty fair price imho. It's not too far off spec of one of my p229s and I didn't get there any cheaper piece by piece.
Here's what my bits for an older p229 ran roughly to compare to a legion pistol.
G10 grips- $100
Extra factory mag-$50
Factory SRT bits- $50
Fresh night sights-$69

So a custom coat job and you've dropped a solid chunk forward a legion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Edited by 2.ooohhh
  • Like 1
I saw it posted by Bruce Gray, THE number one Sig Sauer custom gunsmith in the country and the guy who made the trigger for the Legion, he said it would cost him $1000 plus the base gun to duplicate it. If you can stomach the legion BS, it really is a great value of features added.

You can have everything done aftermarket except the finish.

I really want one.
  • Like 1

I saw it posted by Bruce Gray, THE number one Sig Sauer custom gunsmith in the country and the guy who made the trigger for the Legion, he said it would cost him $1000 plus the base gun to duplicate it. If you can stomach the legion BS, it really is a great value of features added.

You can have everything done aftermarket except the finish.

I really want one.

They must have paid him to say that.

I think they are a little overpriced, but Sigs in general are a little high. It isn't much more than some of their models. Like others have said, if it has the features you like, then go for it. They will probably keep their value a little better than most Sigs.
  • Like 1

I picked one up a few weeks ago and I would say it is worth the money.  The 10lb DA trigger pull is very smooth and the 4lb SA is even better.  The gun has a beautiful gray finish and the grips have a great feel.  I also called the special number Sig gives you to join the Legion.  When you call they send you free a special gun case and coin to go with your new gun.  You also get a secret password to log in when you shop at the Sig store so you can purchase Legion accessories.  Here is a pic of mine.

9s7aqe.jpg

• Like 2

That's what I'm trying to tell my wife.  Unfortunately, she's not as easy to convince...  :D

I haven't seen one yet, only read the Sig propaganda on it, and seen a couple of reviews. The pistol certainly sounds good, and it looks a heck of a lot better than my standard P226. Do you know if it has the newer smaller grip circumference?  The "E" series I believe it was called.

That would make a big difference in the feel for me. lol Midget hands and all. That's why I liked the TacOps 226, it just held better for me.

With the average Sig running a grand plus, I can't say it's out of line here.

The only negative I can put out is that Sig does have a history of putting a "limited style" pistol out and then a few months later bringing another version along that is very, very similar. Maybe not with every new product, but look at the Sig catalog. There are a lot of variants in their line.

But that really doesn't change anything as far as the pricing and the all important "is it worth it/" part.

So is your "like" of it "worth" the price?

• Like 1

I haven't seen one yet, only read the Sig propaganda on it, and seen a couple of reviews. The pistol certainly sounds good, and it looks a heck of a lot better than my standard P226. Do you know if it has the newer smaller grip circumference?  The "E" series I believe it was called.

That would make a big difference in the feel for me. lol Midget hands and all. That's why I liked the TacOps 226, it just held better for me.

With the average Sig running a grand plus, I can't say it's out of line here.

The only negative I can put out is that Sig does have a history of putting a "limited style" pistol out and then a few months later bringing another version along that is very, very similar. Maybe not with every new product, but look at the Sig catalog. There are a lot of variants in their line.

But that really doesn't change anything as far as the pricing and the all important "is it worth it/" part.

So is your "like" of it "worth" the price?

Yep, that's definitely the question.  I'd say the grips are definitely thinner than a typical p226.  I have relatively small hands too, and it felt great to me -- almost 1911ish (not quite, but better than other Sig's I've held, including the sp2022).  I'm also thinking about the Sig Nitron Railed 1911, and neither of them are exactly economical.  Definitely can't afford both, and my aforementioned wife isn't sure I "need" either...  ;)

I would encourage you to get one if you want one.  

My thinking is that you would have a hard time getting your money out of it if you need to sell it, so make sure you want one.  Keep these things in mind:

There are a lot of P226 and P229 police trade ins, and ones in good shape are between $400 - $500.  I've watched a lot of folks on TGO post ones that they bought new that they haven't been able to sell.

Also, Sig allows some nice guns to be sold at very aggressive prices at times.  I bought a promotion P226 Extreme for $750.  It came in a cardboard box rather than a plastic case, but the gun is the same.  The P226 Extreme is upgraded from the regular P226 with Tritium sights, Hogue grips and the SRT trigger.

If you go to resell the gun you'll be competing with these other offerings.

• Like 1

I would encourage you to get one if you want one.  

My thinking is that you would have a hard time getting your money out of it if you need to sell it, so make sure you want one.  Keep these things in mind:

There are a lot of P226 and P229 police trade ins, and ones in good shape are between $400 - $500.  I've watched a lot of folks on TGO post ones that they bought new that they haven't been able to sell.

Also, Sig allows some nice guns to be sold at very aggressive prices at times.  I bought a promotion P226 Extreme for $750.  It came in a cardboard box rather than a plastic case, but the gun is the same.  The P226 Extreme is upgraded from the regular P226 with Tritium sights, Hogue grips and the SRT trigger.

If you go to resell the gun you'll be competing with these other offerings.

Good thoughts, Pete - thanks!  I actually rented a p226 Extreme at Bud's in Sevierville earlier this week, and was very impressed with it as well.  Loved the SRT!  If those are occasionally available for $750, that's indeed a great deal.