Metal vs. Polymer, and striker...

Steelharp

I read in a thread somewhere here about someone shooting an all steel gun after shooting polymer for so long, and how good it felt. I can understand that. I wonder why there aren't many all steel striker fired guns... I realize the Kimber Solo is one, and some of the Kahr's might be considered that... but their triggers are more like revolvers. Is there a steel pistol with a true ala Glock inspired striker firing system?

I would LOVE to see the Ruger SR45 in an all steel configuration...

Aside from the Kahr which the OP has ruled out the two most recent, but no longer in production, examples would be the H&K P7 series and the aluminum framed version of the Colt 2000.

I'm not certain an all metal frame striker fired "Glock Style" system would be totally reliable. IIRC the polymer frame design has some designed flex in it which isn't present in a metal frame. I believe there were issues with an aftermarket metal replacement Glock frame that might have partially been attributable to this. But I can't recall all of the specifics so don't hold me to any specifics on this.

But if such a design were available which was, affordable, reliable and readily available I'd sure like to take a look at it.

Interesting question... Striker fired guns were always more popular in Europe but there was always difficulty with getting an acceptable trigger in the early guns unless they worked more like a rifle where the striker is fully cocked as the slide travels forward. This caused problems with following and runaway full automatic behavior. Striker springs had to be strong to get reliable ignition with primers from that time as well.

I think that Glock hit the market at the right time with the combination of partially cocked striker and poly grip structure. This allowed him to get an acceptable trigger at a VERY competitive price. Now in the minds of many those features are linked. There is no doubt that poly frames are lower cost and that makes those guns more accessible for many.

I'm guessing from your screen name that you have a preference for metal guns. I have a preference for iron over poly myself, and it would be interesting to see a truly high end striker design. I bet the trigger would be fantastic just by eliminating the inherent flex of the poly parts... it why are aluminum triggers popular replacements for poly ones?

Glock had a revolutionary design and everyone copied it... After all this time how many pistols owe their basic design to John Browning? For that matter how many Tupperware knockoffs are there?

I'm guessing from your screen name that you have a preference for metal guns.

No, my screen name is from the fact that I'm a musician that plays steel guitar and harmonica (harp). But that's an interesting take I hadn't thought about!

I actually prefer the poly guns, especially all day on my hip. That less weight factor does help a lot.

"...I'm guessing from your screen name that you have a preference for metal guns...." 

Just a side note here, if you were referring to Steelharp, besides being a fanatic on many things; He is a professional musican. Chiefly the steel guitar and the mouth organ, better known as a harmonica. Hence, "steelharp."

Heck of a great guy too.

EDIT: Dang it...he's fast too. lol

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

I toitaly missed the musical reference! As one that has tried to play guitar and failed (miserably) I'm now satisfied by enjoying the music others create.

I guess I showed my predjudice that to me real guns dont have plastic parts... I don't even like plastic and rubber grips! I'm a product of my upbringing, Steel & Walnut. Try as I have I can't get good results with the poly frame striker guns. I simply shoot the SA & SA/DA pistols better. For me if it isn't broke don't fix it. I shoot the Sig's well, and my wife shoots the M&P well, this also saves us from arguing over guns at the range!.

On another note I have a great respect for the designs. as a former gunsmith there is much to appreciate in these designs. I always see room for improvement, but thats just me always tinkering...

I will make it out to a match in mid TN sometime and I hope to meet you all.

Bob

The P7 also pre-cocks the striker with the griping fingers, not the trigger finger. This allows it a restrike capability by releasing the grip then squeezing again to re-cock the striker.

To me the inability of the current striker guns to re-strike a cartridge is one of the perceived disadvantages. But with good modern ammo it's not a common problem.

Bob