What modern firearms do you think will be collectable in the future?

Erik88

I don't think Glocks are going to go up in value but there will be people that collect them. In general, I don't think a polymer handgun is going hold up for 100 years.

You're probably right, but in my limited experience, it appears to me that Glock's maintain their value. :2cents:

I think imported guns have the best chance of increasing in value and becoming collectible, like Saiga 12s and AKM variants. 

How about a Caracal? ^_^

Caracal__C%20quick%20sight-700x500.jpg

There are some common factors that make a gun collectible.   Age, of course. The number produced is a big one.  Whether you can actually shoot it is a factor.  Quality/accuracy/usability is a third.  And a fourth ... model made famous somehow.

Some examples:

a civil war era shotgun is worth less than a new pistol, even stunningly beautiful pieces.   Because of 1 & 2 ... they made a very large number of them and you can't safely shoot them (wire-wound barrels are dangerous due to hidden rusting).

a colt python, which isn't "really" that old,  is worth a ton because the # produced is less than demand and its an extremely high quality piece. 

For #4, dirty harry's  44 mag model is worth more than nearly identical guns from the same era and such.

mosins are not going to skyrocket up to $1500 a pop anytime soon.   The supply is too big, the quality too low.   They will steadily increase over time as people butcher them one by one and as the ones that have actual rifling in the barrel grow more scarce, but this one will take a while.

I agree the Remington pistol might be a contender due to low # in the wild.  If they don't re-release it after fixing the design.  Last I heard a lot of owners sent them back and are in some sort of limbo, so the few people with a gun in hand might have something in 10 years.

Its on par with buying stock.   There really is no way to predict what will go up, all you can do is make educated guesses based of historical info ... like I am doing by giving some of the trends that we can see on values today of certain models from long ago.

There is more to collectibility than price.  Lower prices allow collecting for those without much money.  After reading through the responses, I see that we all have a different definition of 'collectible'.  To me, collectible is anything that folks have more than one because they are cool or they like them.  Take the Mosin.  It's a simple gun.  Yet, there are forums devoted to Mosin's.  Most folks can afford them and ammo is reasonable (for now).

They have very high historical significance.  It was the primary sidearm used by the Russian's at Stalingrad.  The battle for Stalingrad was the beginning of the end for the Nazi's.

I just paid $420 for a nice M39 and consider it a bargain - and a little luck from the $20 hand select process.

I think there are Glock collectors now.  I'm not a Glock guy and don't follow them, though I'll bet there are folks here that have Glocks they really don't need because they love Glocks.  

Well i've got a 91/30 and a Polish M44, the Polish doesn't have matching serial numbers but by far are the nicest made Mosins. One reason they were popular because they are comparable to .308 in power and cheap, rifle and ammo. My nephew has quite a few, Finnish models, Dragoon, Westinghouse, M39 Chinese and a M44 Russian along with a few more.

mosins are not going to skyrocket up to $1500 a pop anytime soon.   The supply is too big, the quality too low.   They will steadily increase over time as people butcher them one by one and as the ones that have actual rifling in the barrel grow more scarce, but this one will take a while.

Jonnin put up this great post, which I was about to 'like', until I came across his heinous, horrendous, outrageous, unspeakable, villainous, beastly, hideous, abhorrent and evil vitriol highlighted above.  ^_^

The plain Russian Mosins that still for less than $200 are high quality guns.  They are more accurate than they have a right to be.  Yes, they have loose tolerances - all the better to continue to work when packed with mud from Russian rainy season.  

We could debate who the best snipers in history are until the end of time.  Acknowledging that, below is a link to one of the top ten lists.

http://controversialtimes.com/military/10-deadliest-snipers-in-history-1-is-absolutely-crazy/

Four of the ten achieved their results with M91/30 sniper rifles.  My understanding is that they were regular 91/30s, though were the most accurate when tested. 

Five of the ten were using the M91/30 or the M28.  

Don't be talkin' about my Momma, I mean my Mosin's!

Jonnin put up this great post, which I was about to 'like', until I came across his heinous, horrendous, outrageous, unspeakable, villainous, beastly, hideous, abhorrent and evil vitriol highlighted above.  ^_^

The plain Russian Mosins that still for less than $200 are high quality guns.  They are more accurate than they have a right to be.  Yes, they have loose tolerances - all the better to continue to work when packed with mud from Russian rainy season.  

We could debate who the best snipers in history are until the end of time.  Acknowledging that, below is a link to one of the top ten lists.

http://controversialtimes.com/military/10-deadliest-snipers-in-history-1-is-absolutely-crazy/

Four of the ten achieved their results with M91/30 sniper rifles.  My understanding is that they were regular 91/30s, though were the most accurate when tested. 

Five of the ten were using the M91/30 or the M28.  

Don't be talkin' about my Momma, I mean my Mosin's!

Let me restate it:  mosins, out of the box, are a good quality gun.  Military grade and a little rough, but good quality and better than many guns you can buy brand new.

However about 3/4 of the one's ive seen are in bad shape from being shot to death, or shot with corrosive and not cleaned, or steel cleaning rodded, or whatever else.   That is where the quality issue comes in, or perhaps the right word was "condition".   The "condition" then, is poor on many examples. The other 1/4... I haven't seen a like new one, but a few that at least had rifling have crossed my path. 

I could take a colt python and bury it in the mud in the amazon jungle for 10 years and it wouldn't be worth much either.

Edited by Jonnin
Interestingly, I saw two Taurus Curves at the show today. First time I've ever seen one, mush less two, in the wild.

I don't know that it will ever be a collectible. But if I knew that they were reliable, and less expensive, I'd carry one.

Oh, and I saw a Kel-Tec CMR. Upon further reflection, I think that Kel-Tec collectors may be best off. Their stuff seems to be pretty rare. Edited by Clod Stomper
I agree about kel tec - many of their long guns are unique and produced in low quantities which demand usually surpasses.

Low production high quality copies of WWII weapons have done well

Wiselite semi auto m53 was sold for $2000 in 2008 and they are going for double that now

OOW BAR is another

The SMG FG42 is another

Well, it could be after they are all be melted down and Kumbaya is the National Anthem, that folks will collect pictures and ads in old books depicting the good old days.

Nonsense. Old books depicting the good old days will have long since been burned by the State...
  • Like 2
I have noticed three things that make guns collectible. They normally have personal connections for lots of people; like grandpas old s&w duty revolver or the pump 22lr that looks like your uncles old gun you cut your teeth with one cold day. Second, you generally don't think that gun will ever become a collector because they were so common or not very desireable when they were being made. Lastly, the gun can't be in production or at least being produced in the same manner and some quality as it once was.