Cool Springs Mall now posted....

Guest HexHead

Guest HexHead

Went in the entrance between Sears and Dillards yesterday and noticed the mall is now properly posted. The signs on both sides of the door have the circle/ slash symbol and the proper wording with the statute cite. They used to just have "no weapons" listed on the long Code of Conduct list inside the door.

CBL must have posted it when they also posted Rivergate Mall.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no idea that Rivergate Mall was posted. I work there and have never seen the signage, though I can't say I've spent much time looking at the doors to notice. A no weapons policy is clearly stated in the mall code of conduct booklet however, available at the customer service desk (where I work).:)

I'd like to know how this is really being handled by law enforcement as a practical matter.

With a huge structure like a mall that has many public entrances that are not posted, it seems to defy common sense that a lawful permit holder would be required to go around and check every single door before entering.

Guest Todd@CIS
I'd like to know how this is really being handled by law enforcement as a practical matter.

With a huge structure like a mall that has many public entrances that are not posted, it seems to defy common sense that a lawful permit holder would be required to go around and check every single door before entering.

Agreed.

Of course, if the gun is properly concealed we wouldn't be called in the first place.

Edited by Todd@CIS

I’m sure not all cops handle it the same way, but I was talking to a Murfreesboro cop and he said if they are called they just ask you to leave. If you refuse you can be arrested for trespassing.

I have asked on the forum a few times and so far no one has replied that they have been cited for carrying in a posted business.

Guest HexHead

I sent them an email and got the following response...

Thank you for your comments in reference to our policy regarding handguns.

It has been the policy for many years that we do not allow guns on our property.

I agree that the signage will not stop the criminals but we truly feel there is no place for guns at the mall except with law enforcement.

I hope you have a happy and safe holiday.

David Meadows, SCSM

General Manager

CoolSprings Galleria

I noticed when I went to your mall yesterday that it was "posted" with all the legal language not to allow legally, licensed Handgun Carry Permit holders to carry while shopping there. As such, I will no longer be doing any shopping at your mall. You signs will not stop criminals, who are law breakers by definition, but only prohibit some of the most law abiding citizens in the state from protecting themselves and their families should the need arise.

You've saved me a lot of money that I might have spent there this season with Christmas shopping, which I'll now do somewhere else, or online where I can save on sales taxes as well. Just today, I went to another location to buy something I saw at your mall yesterday, since I won't be spending any money at your tenants.

I'll also be sure to tell all my friends and associates that are gun owners that your mall no longer desires their business either.

I sent them an email and got the following response...

Thank you for your comments in reference to our policy regarding handguns.

It has been the policy for many years that we do not allow guns on our property.

I agree that the signage will not stop the criminals but we truly feel there is no place for guns at the mall except with law enforcement.

I hope you have a happy and safe holiday.

David Meadows, SCSM

General Manager

CoolSprings Galleria

I noticed when I went to your mall yesterday that it was "posted" with all the legal language not to allow legally, licensed Handgun Carry Permit holders to carry while shopping there. As such, I will no longer be doing any shopping at your mall. You signs will not stop criminals, who are law breakers by definition, but only prohibit some of the most law abiding citizens in the state from protecting themselves and their families should the need arise.

You've saved me a lot of money that I might have spent there this season with Christmas shopping, which I'll now do somewhere else, or online where I can save on sales taxes as well. Just today, I went to another location to buy something I saw at your mall yesterday, since I won't be spending any money at your tenants.

I'll also be sure to tell all my friends and associates that are gun owners that your mall no longer desires their business either.

got the email address handy. I would like to send a similar message.

"I hope you have a happy and safe holiday."

Yeah thanks! B)

As long as no bad guy decides he doesn't like the jeans I'm trying on at Old Navy and then decides to express his anger with my fashion choice by gunpoint, I'll be sure to have a happy and safe holiday.

Guest Todd@CIS

Epitome of stupid...

Guest Angel 24/7

I spend alot of money in that mall. American Eagle, Gap, Holister. I think I will send an e-mail if you could let me know the e-mail address.

I agree I can always have it delivered to my door.

Guest tcampbell

rivergate mall is not properly posted...I was just there last weekend. Had to go to radio shack. The entrace at linens and things is not posted...nor is the entrance into sears. The entrance from sears into the mall is not posted. What is posted are the entrances directly into the mall itself...ie...food court, etc. As the law states, every entrance is to be posted and that includes anchor tenants as they are part of the mall. I just keep it concealed and go about my business...I get what I need and get out.

Guest tcampbell
Went in the entrance between Sears and Dillards yesterday and noticed the mall is now properly posted. The signs on both sides of the door have the circle/ slash symbol and the proper wording with the statute cite. They used to just have "no weapons" listed on the long Code of Conduct list inside the door.

CBL must have posted it when they also posted Rivergate Mall.

Go through sears into the mall...I am almost willing to bet the entrance into sears is not posted, nor will the entrances from sears into the mall be posted. All entrances must be posted...all they can do is ask you to leave. I am not condoning breaking the law, but if they are not properly posted, then you are not breaking the law. If something does happen in the mall, I do believe that you will fall under the "safe harbor" law....anyone else familiar with that ?

Edited by tcampbell

If mental illness can be defined as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, what is it called when you know you will get NO results??? :lol:

Oops, I'm sorry; I see that Todd@CIS already answered the question.

Edited by Falcon1
Yeah, it's like they really believe that such signage will trully make them safe. :)

Their decision to prohibit weapons has little to do with the safety of shoppers and everything to do with CYA on the part of the mall owners.

It is all about liability. If a low-life worthless criminal robs someone right inside their mall and gets away in broad daylight, hey, no problem for the mall developer.

If there is a shooting, lawsuits will surely follow.

Think about this scenario happening in a crowded mall:

http://www.newschannel5.com/global/story.asp?s=9434127

Here's the one I sent:

Dear Sirs:

It has been brought to my attention that you have posted Cool Springs Mall with a "No Weapons" policy.

So, I am to understand that this establishment no longer welcomes legal handgun conceal carry by permit holders

(possibly the most law abiding citizens in the state).

It is in my opinion that you have rendered your mall a haven for criminals, vagrants, and career law breakers.

My family and I have always shopped your mall at Christmas time as well as year round.

However, I feel it is in my better judgement to now, avoid visiting/shopping your mall on the grounds that my family and I may be in danger for our lives.

Any criminal who pays close enough attention to signs posted and mall policy, will now realize there are no other weapons in the building to retard any of his

illegal actions, whether it be armed robbery, murder, shooting spree, or any other heinous crime.

Please do not consider me a loyal customer in the future. I have taken my business elsewhere.

I typed this off the cuff, but I think it will get their attention and get them to thinking.....

BTW:

There is no email address, but you can contact the management through the website:

http://www.coolspringsgalleria.com/shop/coolsprings.nsf/contact

Message sent. Now the question of seeing which stores with outside entrances have posted as well to send similar letters to those individual stores. That is where the mall will get pushed, is if the stores corporate entities start to breathe down the mall management's back.

Guest HexHead
Epitome of stupid...

And every year there are stories of shoppers being held up in the parking lot walking to their cars there.

Edited by HexHead

A couple of years ago at Rivergate mall during the bright daytime, my wife was in her mini-van, leaving. A guy "blocked" her with his car and asked for money. She said no. He insisted. She again said no. She could not back up because of the car behind her. She was scared! She went over the curb and left. The next week she signed up for carry class. We do not go to Rivergate for much, but are heavily armed when we do. To date, no one has noticed. *** Hope this is not classified as Thread Drift ***