Adjusting rear sight on a Sig P226

Jenny1234

Do you prefer leather, kydex, or a hybrid (leather & kydex)?    There are a plethora of good holster makers in each category.    What's your budget?  

Do you need a holster that you can attach/detach without taking off your belt?   If so, you'll want a paddle holster.   It is more convenient but not as secure as a pancake holster. 

Do you already have a proper gun belt?   With the proper belt you can carry even the heaviest of guns without a problem.    

I prefer leather and am willing to pay for a quality product.  I don't have a proper gun belt, but will definitely consider buying one.  

I prefer leather and am willing to pay for a quality product. I don't have a proper gun belt, but will definitely consider buying one.

Comms mentioned one holster maker above and there are several others on here.

On the lower to mid range commercial end, Galco makes some decent stuff and I have some Don Hume holsters that are nice for the money.

On the mid to higher end, DM Bullard and TT Gunleather are worth taking a look at.

Milt Sparks is a higher end option.

As I mentioned earlier, there are a plethora of good holster makers that others might recommend. There have been numerous threads on here regarding holsters so doing a search should bring in other options.

Since you mentioned hiking, I would go with a OWB pancake holster to be more secure so it doesn't move around. One other carry position you might want to consider is crossdraw. It might give you easier access if you have a heavier coat.

Well its a Sig so it should just go in the trash to begin with...
On a serious note a Gunsmith is your best bet, even with the tool ive seen people make a mess of it
Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Well I guess I got a safe full trash. Right Along with the trash I carry around everyday. Edited by Luap

Yes, that makes sense. Do you have a favorite brand and/or model for an OWB type holster? I'd like to get a shoulder holster as well for other occasions, perhaps for walks in warmer weather. The SIG is pretty heavy to carry on a belt (at least it would seem so to me). Thanks!

Hit up Gjohnsoniv on here. Home boy makes some DAMN good leather holsters

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

GjohnsonIV makes all my leather. He is one of the best around and at a fair price. I love his leather. He did this M7 style for me recently for my Glock 17. I ride a motorcycle year round, and I'm a Patchholder in a club so I always have a vest one. The shoulder holster makes accessing the gun on or off the bike easy and carrying all day comfortable.

20151011_060943_zpsrazbndvu.jpg
20151011_060925_zpsc424zpis.jpg

Sent from behind the anvil

Now that looks like a top-of-the line setup.  Thanks for sharing!

GjohnsonIV makes all my leather. He is one of the best around and at a fair price. I love his leather. He did this M7 style for me recently for my Glock 17. I ride a motorcycle year round, and I'm a Patchholder in a club so I always have a vest one. The shoulder holster makes accessing the gun on or off the bike easy and carrying all day comfortable.

20151011_060943_zpsrazbndvu.jpg
20151011_060925_zpsc424zpis.jpg

Sent from behind the anvil

Comms mentioned one holster maker above and there are several others on here.

On the lower to mid range commercial end, Galco makes some decent stuff and I have some Don Hume holsters that are nice for the money.

On the mid to higher end, DM Bullard and TT Gunleather are worth taking a look at.

Milt Sparks is a higher end option.

As I mentioned earlier, there are a plethora of good holster makers that others might recommend. There have been numerous threads on here regarding holsters so doing a search should bring in other options.

Since you mentioned hiking, I would go with a OWB pancake holster to be more secure so it doesn't move around. One other carry position you might want to consider is crossdraw. It might give you easier access if you have a heavier coat.

Thanks for taking the time to share!  

May I ask you another question?  I would like to carry the p226 concealed while hiking in the mountains.  It is always cold where I go so I would prefer to carry it under my coat.  Do you have recommendations as to a shoulder holster?  Or perhaps something else? Thanks!!!!!

I'm not a fan of shoulder holsters preferring instead a proper gun belt and holster for my body frame, pistol and chosen carry mode. For outdoor field carry I tend to lean towards strong side OWB carry but have found a cross draw holster works best when wearing a back pack or heavy exterior coat.

However this doesn't mean I haven't used shoulder holster rigs with my preference being towards vertical instead of horizontal carry set ups. Front chest style rigs would be my choice for a scoped hunting pistol or a heavy frame large caliber revolver intended to protect me from dangerous wild life.