Thermal Imaging Devices for Home?

Hozzie

I have been contemplating buying an IR Thermometer (with graphic interface) to use around the house to find leaks and to be honest, just play with.  I know we have a diverse range of people on here and thought maybe someone would have some experience with some of them.  

Basic requirements: Needs to work for checking windows, doors, etc in a house

Budget ~$400 or less.

I have looked briefly into a few at various levels.  I do believe in good equipment, so I am not looking for the cheapest, although if it works, value is always good.

Fluke:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EW2MC9Y/ref=s9_simh_gw_p328_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=09V0T3J784FY52T7KKCW&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

Flir:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NXJDQV0/ref=s9_simh_gw_p328_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=09V0T3J784FY52T7KKCW&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

Seek for Iphone:

http://smile.amazon.com/Seek-Compact-Thermal-Imager-Apple/dp/B00NYWABAA/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1449249038&sr=1-1&keywords=iphone+heat+camera

Anyone have any experience with any of these or similar?

Edited by Hozzie

Thanks, the Flir for Iphone is similar to the last one I linked.  Appears reviews on the one I linked are a bit better.  I am just not sure if there is some advantage I would be missing by going with the Iphone versions over a handheld.  I suppose i can buy one of the Iphone versions and if I don't like it, send it back.  I am partly afraid of losing it being so small.

Thanks, the Flir for Iphone is similar to the last one I linked.  Appears reviews on the one I linked are a bit better.  I am just not sure if there is some advantage I would be missing by going with the Iphone versions over a handheld.  I suppose i can buy one of the Iphone versions and if I don't like it, send it back.  I am partly afraid of losing it being so small.

Just put it un your gun safe when not in use.  Otherwise, zip tie it to your phone so it does not come separated when out in the field looking for wild pigs :up:

• Like 1

We got a Seek for the iPhone when it first came out.  It works pretty good in the house at spotting drafts and leaks.  It is fun to play around with.  The only limitation was it could not sense heat at longer distances outside.  The new version is supposed to be able to work at longer distances.  It makes walking around in the dark a lot of fun.  Get to see what kind of critters are out there you can not see.

I used to use these all the time when I worked. Flir is the king of thermal imaging, but they are expensive. The camera I used was about 50 grand. You might find a used one if you look around, but they have started making some smaller hand held units that go for around 500 to 1000

Edited by Randall53

That one is about 3k :pleased: .

Yea the railroad has plenty of money.LOL
in this kind of stuff you get what you pay for go price the indestructible stuff fire and rescue folks use that stuff is high as giraffe vagina and we wonder why our local taxes are so high

Are you looking for air leaks? Like a drafty window or door? If so, use a long stick of incense. That's what I use. Just hold it close to the window, door, or whatever. As long as the smoke goes up, there's no draft. When the smoke gets blown away from the wall, it's a draft. If the smoke gets carried down, it's a strong draft.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I think I will try one of the IPhone options first and see how it works.

Let us know how it works out because that's something I'd like to try out myself and for the record I've used top dollar hand held FLIR devices before.

?  I saw a dozen options for under a grand with a quick search.  

http://www.amazon.com/FLIR-C2-Compact-Thermal-Imaging/dp/B00T9RANUC/ref=sr_1_6/184-3297036-3660961?ie=UTF8&qid=1449449980&sr=8-6&keywords=thermal+infrared+camera

looked like something I would try.

I cant recall the model number but we had at my old job what was effectively a black and white infrared that didn't cost "too much" from what I can recall.   It was good enough to record the raccoons on my deck in high detail one night, you could see eyes, etc, and weird looking because the fur was one solid color and other things were washed out in odd ways.   They can't see thru windows, also a strange experience. 

you might also find a cheaper model if it only takes stills instead of video, if you just want to find heat around your windows etc.

Edited by Jonnin