Thompson Center single shots

quedz

I have 2 frames and several barrels ranging from .223 - .45/70.  I gave up hunting deer with rifles about 15 years ago. Since I'm not as mad at deer as I used to be I thought I would give them  a little more of an advantage.  My first deer with a T/C was at 125 yards chambered in 6MM TCU and a 4X20 Leupold on top.  I've also used .35 Remington but I'm not a fan of recoil like I was in my younger years.  My go to caliber now is 7-30 Waters Super 14 with a muzzle break, mild recoil and it shoots very tight groups off a bench.  When I say tight groups I can maintain 1/2" groups and my best ever was a .155" 3 shot group at 100 yards.

• Like 2

I like my Encore .308 15" pistol, like mp5rizzo said I ain't as mad at deer as I once was. I feel like it is more sporting to shoot them with the pistol. I once read it is 6 times more difficult to accurately shoot a pistol as opposed to rifle. As a matter of fact I usually go under alias Encoreman on most forums, but it was taken here.

Edited by Dirtshooter

My father has an affinity for them. I've shot several, an can say they are accurate to a fault.

They're just not my bag. For that kind of money, I want pretty. A #1 Ruger isn't much more expensive.

Not as refined, but much less expensive is H&R/NEF, or a CVA single shot.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

I have 2 Contender frames and 1 Encore rifle in .308. My pistol barrels are:

7-30 Waters(my favorite)

44 Magnum

and a .45Colt/.410 barrel with the internal choke.

Love shooting my Contenders. Am currently looking for a .22LR barrel and will probably trade off the 45/410 for one.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been in the market for my first one for the past couple months.  Finally won an auction on Gunbroker yesterday for a G2 Contenden super 14 in 7-30 waters.  Excited about getting it and looking for all the info I can get on the cartridge.  Oh and it also has a Ultra red dot sight on it.  Don't think the ammo is going to be on the shelf at many of the big box sporting good stores though so I ordered some dies.

• Like 2

I've been in the market for my first one for the past couple months.  Finally won an auction on Gunbroker yesterday for a G2 Contenden super 14 in 7-30 waters.

Congratulation! You are going to love it.  Warning: They are addictive...     

I haven't looked for any 7-30 factory ammo in a while. The brass I have seems to be holding up well. And if you want cheap brass, just form it from 30-30 in your 7-30 dies. I'm shooting cast in mine mostly.

Which diameter works best for you?

just got in last week a 10 inch bull barrel in 9 mm for the t/c.  the barrel is made by a company named "mgm".  so far i shot about 60 rounds for their required break-in, along with their cleaning protocol during break in.  took all day to break-in the barrel.  used the time to sight in a aimpoint m2 and chronograph some 9 mm reloads.  that is what i like about the t/c, you can have just about any caliber made for the gun.