Need a cheap hunting rifle?

Hozzie

I don't have a need either, but a friend recently mentioned that he in fact does.

What is the collective opinion as far as the quality and function of this gun?

He would be using it mainly for whitetail, here in TN and in upper Michigan... 200+/- yards at most.

Thanks for posting this Hozzie.

Just FYI, the Savage Axis, which I feel is on par with the Ruger, can be had for around $300 with a basic 3-9x scope mounted and ready to go in .308 and a handful of other calibers. Savage also has a $50 mail in rebate on the gun. Phenomenal value. For another $150 or so you can get the Savage Trophy Hunter with a Nikon scope already mounted. The Trophy Hunter gets you a little tighter build and Accutrigger.

Sorry. Just a Savage fan! A lot of folks to .270 and .243 in TN. Seems to be working well for them. Sadly, I don't have first hand experience on deer. I have a .308 and a .270. Edited by musicman
  • Like 1

MusicMan, I am also a Savage fan, but not so much on the Axis.  I agree the Trophy Hunter is a good value.

Prag, as to this gun, I have one in 300 Blackout and I would consider it to be of 'good' quality.  It is what is it, meaning a good value rifle that will do the job.  308 is more than enough for any deer out to well beyond 200 yards.   For me, if I was going with 1 caliber, 308 would probably be it.  There is a lot of quality ammo readily available.

If he can/wants to spend a little more, the Savage with an Accutrigger will be a bit nicer gun.  

Thank you guys.

Of course I agree on the .308 Hozzie. Great caliber and sufficient for pretty most North American game. I've taken whitetail, Mule deer, and antelope with both .30-06 and .308 back years ago. Never a problem.

My friend is a relatively new shooter and just wanting to get his first rifle. I'll look into the Savage with the accutrigger for him.

Much obliged folks.

I'd definitely take the axis over the Ruger.
Yes, the Ruger honestly is a better quality rifle, but the accuracy simply cannot compare.
The axis is quite simply the most accurate, out of the box, sub $300 on the market right now.
If you keep your eyes open, Cabelas often have them on sale at $249 with savage's $50 rebate.
Seriously? $200 for a sub MOA rifle?
That's why I've got one, I'll tell you that much!
  • Like 2

I'd definitely take the axis over the Ruger.
Yes, the Ruger honestly is a better quality rifle, but the accuracy simply cannot compare.
The axis is quite simply the most accurate, out of the box, sub $300 on the market right now.
If you keep your eyes open, Cabelas often have them on sale at $249 with savage's $50 rebate.
Seriously? $200 for a sub MOA rifle?
That's why I've got one, I'll tell you that much!

Well my ruger ranch in 223 shoots MOA or better with the right ammo, and the other samples I've seen do the same.  Trigger is much better than the Axis trigger in my opinion.

Either way, both will work fine for deer at <200yds.